.270 Win

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
I sure love those Ballistic Tips!

Got out to the range today with my new to me Remington 783 and using H4831, those BT shot very nice. This was 59grs @100yds

Nice!

Not a popular thing to say around all parts, but I’m a Remington fan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boomer68":1bqkij7i said:
I sure love those Ballistic Tips!

Got out to the range today with my new to me Remington 783 and using H4831, those BT shot very nice. This was 59grs @100yds

Very comforting when you produce such groups.

H4831 and the 270 go together like apple pie and vanilla ice cream! Great shooting!

Thanks guys. I’m heading out on the weekend for some deer hunting and hope to get a chance to test this load out.

My standard load for the 270 Win. has been 60 grs H4831 with 130 BT or Sierra Game King. That was the load that was listed on the plastic bottle when Hogdon went from metal to plastic. I think it was Jack O'Connor's load also. It is a max load. I killed a bunch of deer with this combo and can't remember of a deer even taking a step. Good luck on your hunt. You do your part and your load bullet combo will do it's job.

Very nice! And good luck on your upcoming hunt!

I looked at those 783's and they're definitely included in my list of possible bad weather guns. They're kind of a throwback to the old 788's which I like and were born shooters. Like the 788 that minimal sized ejection port helps to stiffen up the receiver. Took Remington 30 yrs to come back to some of their ideas on an out of the box gun that had a bad habit of showing up their flagship rifle.

My 783 is a shooter too. Stiff receiver, good trigger, magnum contour barrel, pillar bedded stocks. It's a good recipe for accuracy. Not much to look at, but pretty is as pretty does much of the time. Good luck on your hunt.

Boomer

Nicely done. H4831 is the "Classic" powder for the 270 Winchester. That bullet/ load combo will kill deer as far as you care to shoot.
Best of luck to you on your hunt!

JD338

Nice shooting and good luck on your hunt. If Remington ever brought back the 788 I would buy one in a heart beat .223 Rem.

1100 Remington Man":1islaar8 said:
Nice shooting and good luck on your hunt. If Remington ever brought back the 788 I would buy one in a heart beat .223 Rem.

I could never 100% figure that out. They had a rifle that sales were not a problem despite their homely looks, and a good many people felt and vocalized (perhaps too loudly) that it outshot the 700. They got enough of a reputation that competition shooters were using them for custom builds.

Why not set them in some premium wood instead of the bleached driftwood quality most of them came with, give them a good trigger and let the customer buy what they wanted?

I guess it was all about money and the cost of making two different rifles. When they dropped the 788 they came out with a plain Jane Rem. 700 action rifle called a Sportsman 78. I came in a ADL configuration with a low quality wood stock, no knurling on the bolt nob and action was not polished much and blued and the barrels look about like a parkerized finish. The stock was a bit straighter than the 700 stock and caused felt recoil to be quite a bit more. I bought a 30-06 and that thing shot pretty good but it kicked like a mule. I picked up a used Bell and Carlson stock to replace the wood one and the first time I shot the rifle I thought I had a squib load because the felt recoil was lowered so much. I ended up using the action to build a custom Shilen barreled 25-06 that I still have that is a tack driver.

ShadeTree":2bun2b0r said:
1100 Remington Man":2bun2b0r said:

I could never 100% figure that out. They had a rifle that sales were not a problem despite their homely looks, and a good many people felt and vocalized (perhaps too loudly) that it outshot the 700. They got enough of a reputation that competition shooters were using them for custom builds.

Why not set them in some premium wood instead of the bleached driftwood quality most of them came with, give them a good trigger and let the customer buy what they wanted?

Cause they are Remington and have an awesome history of not supporting products and cartridges they standardize. They have legitimized some awesome cartridges, but supporting them is another story.

Back