35 Whelen advice

laylandad

Beginner
Jun 8, 2010
I recently acquired a Remington 700 chambered in 35 Whelen. It came with some components...225 gr AB's, brass, and 3 lbs of Varget powder. I'd like some advice on where to start with this. I know that Nosler data shows 56.5 gr as a starting point with Varget, but are there any better options?

laylandad":1ilaxh15 said:
I recently acquired a Remington 700 chambered in 35 Whelen. It came with some components...225 gr AB's, brass, and 3 lbs of Varget powder. I'd like some advice on where to start with this. I know that Nosler data shows 56.5 gr as a starting point with Varget, but are there any better options?

I think it's the best place to start. Somewhere between 56-61 you'll find a good shooting load. Haven't used Varget in awhile, but it is a great powder and that is as well proven a combo as there is in my book. I'd bet you'll be between 2600-2750 as well, so you'll have a hitter of a load!

Good luck, post up what you come up with!

Varget looks like a real good powder choice for that 225AB w/ a 97 to 99% case fill.
Somebody must have put some thinking into that powder/bullet combo.
You get any load data with those bullets and powder from previous owner?

RaySendero":1mczdp98 said:
Varget looks like a real good powder choice for that 225AB w/ a 97 to 99% case fill.
Somebody must have put some thinking into that powder/bullet combo.
You get any load data with those bullets and powder from previous owner?

The data from him shows 59.4 gr seated at 3.36" OAL with a CCI 250...

Some of the brass has pierced primers though.

Just checked my load log for when I had a M700 Classic 35 Whelen and between Varget and IMR 4064 you can't go wrong.
With 225 gr AB and Varget start out with 56.5 grs and work up to 60.5 grs ( 60.5 gr was the most accurate in my rifle ) IMR 4064 and 225 gr AB starting load is 54.0 gr and tops out at 58.0, again in my rifle. 58.0 gr was the most accurate for this combo.
Always start low and work up.
(Disclaimer) I do not recommend using either top loads with either powder.

Another thing I probably should mention...all the brass is necked up Remington 30-06.

I used Varget in my old Whelen and was pleased, Nosler's data was spot on in that gun. If you can check out Speer's new data some of the newer Alliant powders are showing some fantastic speeds.

RL15 is another option for both the 225 gr and 250 gr bullets. Welcome to the 35 Whelen club. Not a bad place to be. ;)

JD338

RL 15 really is "the powder" in the 35 Whelen. If you can handle the recoil, you can within 100fps with 250gr bullets of a factory .338 loading. 2600vs 2700
We get highest numbers with safe preasues with RL 15. However the recoil is similar to the .338 as well.
Backing down to 2450 ish will make a significant reduction in recoil. The Speer 250s are about unbeatable for game, and shoot in same holes as
A Nosler Partition.....

60gr Varget and 225AB is a good round in both my Whelens. Sometimes the AB bullet is hard to come by. Also a fan of the 250gr Speer. My cousin took a bull elk last year with 225 Barnes TTSX at 75 paces or so. The critter dropped like a stone. I’ve never gotten the velocities that a lot of folks claim out of either of mine but I do keep the barrels short, 20-22”. I also use a shorter throat. No matter, they still are killers.

My 35 really likes imr4064 with 225 AB, 250 Speer and 250 Norma orxy. My lot of 15 might be slow as 4064 gave better velocity and accuracy.

Started out with a Ruger M77 Tanger and a week later had a Remington M700 Classic. Gun show a month later and someone's custom Mauser at an estate sale at the show. Played with the 250 gr. Speer Hot Core and Hornady 250 gr. SP and RN using H335. Worked up to 53.0 gr. in all three rifles and it was nicely accurate and ran a bit over 2500 FPS. I got a tag for a Kaibab deer hunt and they requested hunters use a monometal bullet on a voluntary basis. I got a box of 225 gr. Barnes TSX and a can of Re15 and frankly never looked back at those 250 gr. bullets. Half inch to .75" groups and a bit over 2700 FPS, what's not to like? I still have unopened boxes of 225 gr. ABs and PT that I just haven't got around to trying. I've made the Ruger into a strictly cast bullet rifle so that leaves something to do with the Remington. It didn't like the TSX bullet at all so maybe it will like the ABs or PTs. Just have to get around to doing it. If the OP's rifle likes the TSX, it sure does put a serious smack down on elk.
Paul B.

In my Ackley, I use Varget under 225 AB's. Shoots well.....every bit as good as my old Re-15 loads.

Thanks for all the great info. Another question...

I'm using necked up 30-06 brass and accuracy is not there. I have some loads that look promising but then I try and confirm them it's like the target is hit with buckshot. The best load I have found so far is 57.7gr of Varget, CCI 250, 225 gr AB seated to 3.36". It's still will not shoot less than 1.5" group. My next step is to adjust seating depth. Any other advice is appreciated.

I would check the scope and scope mounts first, either can give you problems and happen far more often than we would like.

There are lots of things that can give you fits. Scope base screws ,ring screws ,stock screws.
Even the trigger pull will throw you off.
I tend to glass skim bed the action and recoil lug plus I pillar bed the action if the stock is wood.
You may also need to free float the barrel since most Remington's have a pressure point in the barrel channel.

laylandad":gu1um9ub said:
Thanks for all the great info. Another question...

I'm using necked up 30-06 brass and accuracy is not there. I have some loads that look promising but then I try and confirm them it's like the target is hit with buckshot. The best load I have found so far is 57.7gr of Varget, CCI 250, 225 gr AB seated to 3.36". It's still will not shoot less than 1.5" group. My next step is to adjust seating depth. Any other advice is appreciated.

How’s your runout look at you neck up your brass?

What brand dies are you using to neck up your brass? Some have a tapered expander that will center the brass and keep the neck straight also are you lubricating the inside of the neck so the expander slips in and out of the case neck easier?

truck driver":1vv8msbd said:
What brand dies are you using to neck up your brass? Some have a tapered expander that will center the brass and keep the neck straight also are you lubricating the inside of the neck so the expander slips in and out of the case neck easier?

I'm using standard RCBS dies. They have a tapered expander.

My runout is measuring right around .002".

I've settled on 57.7 gr if Varget. The velocity is averaging 2680 fps with a SD of 11. I've also seated the bullets deeper. They are now sitting at 3.330". I'll see what tomorrow morning brings at the range.

Back