150 Partition, 280 AI, 25 ft, 3040 fps

Dwh7271

Handloader
Nov 18, 2013
Here's a Partition shot into jugs at 25 ft

IMG_0623_zps44546b4b.jpg

IMG_0622_zpse1ac29d7.jpg

Very cool Dewey. That's what my boy is running this Fall for elk. Good to see how well it holds up.

Excellent performance. It looks identical to the one I tested. Recovered mine in the 6th jug which is pretty good penetration. You can't beat a Partition for a do all bullet.

JD338

JD
Found this one in the 6th jug also. Unbelievable how tough those bullets are.

Scotty,
I would think in your sons 7 x 57 that will be big medicine. Should be perfect.
When that thing hit those jugs it literally blew the first two into pieces and shot water everywhere. The impact shock these impart is amazing and to hold up after that kind of shock is pretty cool.

Rather classic performance of a classic bullet. That gave the bullet a great opportunity to demonstrate its integrity.

Thanks Dewey, for the test. I guess we can figure out why Partitions have been at the top of the heap for such a long time :mrgreen:. They are simply one of the very best!!!

Blessings,
Dan

Dan and Dr;
I have a bias but I just don't see how you get a much better all around bullet for my purposes than the Partition. Darn things just always do what they're supposed to do and that is a high compliment for a bullet. Consistency seems to be underrated at times.

Dewey, I think it is the fact that we are always striving for something better :wink: & most of the time we do not find it. On the lighter side it is just fun to experiment :lol: and it keeps this old mind amused :mrgreen:!

Blessings,
Dan

Nice test!..I think that the Partition well be around for a long time 8) ...it just simply performs every single time.

Lou

A friend of mine has shot mountain goat and moose with them out of a 280 Rem with good success. It would be one of the first bullets I would want to try if I ever get a 280.

I'm getting excellent results with 150 PTs and RL17 in my sons 7mm Mauser. Chrono'ed them this morning and I'm right at 2900 or. Gotta do the math but I'm very pleased with those numbers. Cases look beautiful and nary a sign of anything resembling excessive pressure.

I also shot some 150 BTs with exactly the same die settings and powder charge. I averaged about 15Fps faster but the same POI at 200. Thankfully I just established a great deer and inexpensive practice load without too much work. Pretty happy about that.

I'm really excited as I haven't shot an elk with aight rifle but I'm banking on shorter under 300 yard shots. I'm thinking a lot of folks run 150's from a 270 factory load and still stack elk.

That is a smoking velocity, Scotty. Yeah, I should imagine it will work very well.

What a combination Dewey and great results with the Partition. Choosing a Nosler Partition is never a bad choice and I really like your choice of caliber there as you know I am having one of my own built! Man this gets me excited to start load work. What were you using for powder and primers??

DrMike":2g7ci1x3 said:
That is a smoking velocity, Scotty. Yeah, I should imagine it will work very well.

Mike, I will send some pictures along of the cases but they are beautiful. Extract with ease and the primers (BR2's) are perfectly round over the corners. Accuracy is excellent. Very happy with this load.

I don't doubt you report; each rifle is an entity to itself. Heck, I'm envious; I just hope I can wring similar velocities out of my 7 Mauser.

Sorry guys.
I didn't see the questions.
It's a CCI 200, Nosler case, 65 gr MRP with the Partition.
I recently changed it slightly to COAL of 3.23. Tightened it up a hair and velocity and SD were slightly more consistent.

RR,
I am starting to really like the MRP. I've run it in the 257 Wby, 7 Mag and 280 AI thus far. All have been good results and it seems very consistent. Standard deviations thus far have been fairly tight.
Unfortunately, the remainder of the testing as far as temperature sensitivity will have to wait until fall as it is warm here now.

Back