Dark Timber Elk?

what a knowledgeable group and so willing ti share your knowledge.

Dr Vette, watching those episodes is a great idea. April, i honestly had never even heard of the Himalayan snowcock .
We ride into the wildness via horseback each year and are fortunate enough to have someone with us who like many here have hunted elk all their life.

I can not add anything, but will also recommend, as others have done, Conditioning, Conditioning, Conditioning

John, I dont know who else here has hunted the Snowcocks but IMHO hunting them makes sheep and goat hunting seem like childs play.

Without a doubt a normal elk hunt requires one to be in excellent shape or at the very least it will improve your odds

Salmonchaser. I am sure you have also found when fishing, that you run into a bear everyday, but when hunting them, you can not find them. At least that was our experience.

wisconson teacher. good luck, hope your first elk hunt is a good one. Did I miss what you are hunting them with ?

Damn bears; but yes once they congregate on the spawning streams they are everywhere it seems. World of difference between being inside Katmai National Park and outside however. Outside they can be less predictable, if there is such a thing with Grizz, inside they get real pushy. Someone is going to get eaten soon up there.
As to hunting them: my buddy has taken 4 good bears out of five hunters. The hunter who failed was in horrific shape. Paid $25 K for his trip and left after a few days because he just couldn't do it.
So tying back in to WT thread, as I recall he stays in shape; you don't have to run marathons, but regardless your fitness level, you've four months more or less and most of us can be in a hell of a lot better shape in that time.
If nothing else take the dog for two walks every day. You'll have a better trip for certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few shots at elk, in the timber. But only with my camera:

This was a pretty nice bull! I was within 50 yards, likely about 30 yards. Never did get an unobstructed view of him.

Northern California, on the coast. Talk about dense vegetation! Yes, that flash in his eye is a reflection from my camera flash. Photo taken mid-afternoon as I recall. It's that dark in the timber sometimes.

Guy

I plan on bringing my 338wm with 225 Accubonds. As far as back up it is the 7mm or pump action 35 Whelen.

I will be in better shape than right now. I have not worked out in 6 weeks but I will start next week after turkey season ends.

Man, I think that 35 Whelen slide/pump action rifle with a low powered scope or even a good red-dot sight would be awesome for elk in the timber!

Load up some Nosler Partitions or Accubonds, no need to go for high velocity, everything is going to be reasonably close anyway.

Guy

One thing I have learned over all the years of elk hunting is that elk have no place to be and no time to be there by. I've killed elk in the early morning, mid day and late afternoon. If you find unpressured elk they can and will show up at any time of the day.

Back