Wyoming elk hunt

Silentstalker

Handloader
Jun 2, 2011
Just returned from beautiful Wyoming! My brother and I have been up three times this year trying to fill our elk tags. The first two trips were on the archery hunt.
This was our first year hunting the general season tag. My brother missed a bull on the bowhunt.
I did not get a shot until Sunday. I was shooting my Weatherby Backcountry chambered in 270 Win with 150 gr. Nosler Partition handloads which I developed with help from many of you.
We spotted this bull with his cows about 9 am working their way up a ridge to bed. We closed the distance to 560 yards and we ran out if time as they were heading into the timber.
I set my scope, set my rifle on my big pod and slowly squeezed the trigger. I hit him about mud way up the chest a couple inches behind the crease. He only went about 30 yards and was done.
The Partition passed completely thru the bull and obviously did its job. I could not be more happy.
This bull was 4.5 miles from the trailhead and it took my brother and I a full 24 hours to get him back to the truck. Here are a few pictures.
0d085ebb0cbcd386b0d31c96fcbefe35.jpg
788499bf76aca2c0ea3ef9da4d0c2172.jpg
b98e66efcd1ec3d10428f74154eef101.jpg

Excellent! Sounds like a great adventure for both of you. Fine animal.

Very nicely done (hunt and write up). Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And people say the 270 isn’t an elk caliber [emoji848]. Lol. Great shot! And a beautiful animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Here are a couple of gore pics that show what the Partition did...

Entry hole: about dead center of the bloodshot.

f665da98dd0d879763fad12e239656f7.jpg

Exit:

dd34b9a266333f98481cc013e05c6b51.jpg

Three trips that shows determinatioin and it sure paid off :wink:.
That is a great Bull and taken with a time tested calibre and bullet, I am sure that Sir Jack is smiling from above (y).
Thank you for the story and photos, you will be dining on some fine table fare this fall and coming winter.

Blessings,
Dan

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing your hunt. How do you like your Vanguard Backcountry? Just recently noticed that one and the very similar Wilderness model and would be interested to hear your thoughts on the gun. Thanks. Bret

Thanks again.

BretN, I love this rifle. It shoots excellent groups, carries well in the field and looks good!

We were over by star valley. Lots of hunters but enough elk to keep a guy hiking!

And yes the .270 is great! I had a 7 mag for a long time. This rifle is a pleasure to shoot and has yet to let me down!

Back