What a Difference a Guide Makes

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
The long anticipated 2017 Montana Hunting Trip is nearing a close. What a season it has been.
First off, Rodger, aka Truckdriver and I started planning a get together to hunt elk and deer last winter when we met for lunch in Maryland with our wives. Rodger had learned of my previous successes hunting from Upper Canyon Outfitters in Alder Montana and asked if I would show him around a bit as he wanted to hunt unguided. With Outfitter Donna Tate McDonald’s approval I agreed to hunt with Rodger in National Forest areas that I was familiar with prior to my two weeks of guided hunting.
Rodger and I are approaching senior status, and we are not in top physical condition to tackle the highest of the Rocky Mountain peaks in pursuit of the elusive wapiti. We did put our boots to the ground and cover significant distances to get us into elk and mule deer looking territory, but the weather, primarily wind and mild temperatures, made the critters scarce where we sought them.

Following the first few days hunting with Rodger I embarked on my two weeks of guided hunting for elk and mule deer. It appeared that the mule deer were just starting their rut as we found a nice 4X4 buck with his does at an initial distance of nearly 400 yds that grew to about 600yds before I could get a shot. After making a big circle around the herd we approached from a different direction. While using a fence post as a rest, I unsuccessfully tried two shots at the buck. Then, assisted by my guide, who ranged the buck at 296 yards, and using a Bog-Pod shooting tripod provided by the guide I connected and harvested the buck with a shot through the lungs as he angled away for an exit.

Before daylight a few days later my guide took me to an area that he was familiar with frequented by elk. Shortly after sunrise a herd of elk appeared, and I got on the shooting tripod, checked the head of the lead cow for antlers, of which there were none, (I am interested in elk meat vs huge racks), then I turned my focus and the scope to the chest and squeezed the trigger. The cow ran a short distance and dropped to a single 30-06 180grain Nosler Partition fired from about 100 yards.

It is impossible to overstate the value of professional guides, such as those retained by Upper Canyon Outfitters. Many are young, local fellows who have been raised in the area and their knowledge of the land and the animals we pursue is second to none.

Outstanding!
Got pictures? I, as well as others I'm sure, would love to see them.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, I haven't had a lot of guided hunts - but I've found the help from a good guide to be worth every penny.

I have found a guide particularly useful when I'm hunting in an area new to me, and also very useful when hunting a species new to me.

In Alaska, to hunt grizzly, a non-resident is required to use a guide. Frankly, I think that is a GREAT idea! :grin:

Guy

Great post, Rol. You are correct that a guide can make a great difference, especially as Guy notes when hunting a new area or a new species. Certainly thought-provoking.

Congratulations, Roland! Am I correct in assuming that you used the Montana rifle and 180 gr. PT's for both the mule deer and the elk? Did both bullets do a complete pass through?

Dan

Well it looks like that new Ford truck is going to earn it's keep hauling all that meat home.
Was the elk in the same general that you killed the Mule deer?

No new truck.. I canceled the deal.. meat will be under my locked cap... elk were in a different area.

The truck wasn't to be since it had a recall and I think they wanted to sell you a different one anyway.
I was curious if the elk was in one of the areas we hunted or close to them.
I just felt we were in the right places just not the right times when they were traveling threw.

Rodger, I did not take either animal on the Greenhorn or Timber Creek ares that we hunted together.

What a beautiful deer Rol tagged! Here's a picture of his mulie buck.

As the title of this thread states, "What a difference a guide makes." (y)

Rol entitled this, "A moment of thankful prayer." I do understand as I am thankful for each animal I've ever tagged.

Beautiful buck, Rol.

Wow! That is a beautiful buck.

And whoever was operating the camera did real well.

Guy

A beautiful buck and a beautiful moment caught on camera. Way to go, Roland!

Dan

Rol congratulations on a fine hunt :wink:, what a bonus in tagging both a Mulie buck and a great eating cow Elk :wink:. Rol, I also thank our lord for his bounty when I am blessed with meat from our great outdoors (y) .
Great photo of your Mulie buck.
Hope that you can get a few more photos posted?

Blessings,
Dan

An excellent picture Rol. Definitely shares your appreciation for the Lords gift.
Blessings,
Duane

Back