Bowhunting, elk & mule deer

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Well, I was presented with an opportunity for a big change to my archery gear, so I pounced on a great deal for a used PSE "Thunderbolt" compound bow... That fellow was getting out of bow hunting, and I've been sort of dinking around with bowhunting with my old recurve since the 1970's. Mostly off, but once in a while I go clobber a bunny or something. Ya, I'm not much of a bowhunter.

But... For some reason, it's been calling me, and there was this cool bow avail with most of the stuff I'd need... So, I got it. Now I've got a dozen fancy new carbon arrows with a half dozen Muzzy broadheads. Fixed up the sight that had taken a hit or two. It's a whole lot different from my recurve! At least 40 years newer too. I dunno 'bout all these wheels, strings, fiber-optic sights, carbon fiber arrows etc...

I'll update time to time as I see how this all works out!

Planning to hunt mule deer & elk with it, here in Washington this fall.

Guy    

i have hunted both elk and deer with a bow, and killed several deer near my home but neither out in the woods. I really think it's more for the purists and for those who focus on the experience of the hunt rather than "eating" something. I know there are some who do very well, but they are few. Good luck guy I will be excited to read about your adventures.

Guy, I have been bow hunting elk in Oregon since 1985 and you will really enjoy it. I started with PSE and now shoot Mathews. I recommend reading some articles on bow tuning as it will simplify things.

Get the BowHunting magazine. Lots of great topics. I normally take 3 or 4 white tails per season with either my Mathews HTR 2” mechanicals or Mission MXB400(170gn 3” mechanical).

I love them both. Do vertical early in the season, Xbow late December

Get a good climbing harness if doing the tree. Minimal metal to bang by accident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shes an old girl but will do you fine. If you don't know the age or they are still stock, change the strings and cables ASAP. at an IBO of 300 fps she will be twice as fast or more than your recurve. make sure your arrows are at least 5gr/lb of draw weight. get her dialed in and enjoy(300 gr for 60 and 350gr for 70) I shoot 70lbs and my hunting arrows are right at 380gr. Make sure you tune the BH to shoot POI with your field ponts.

Guy I wish you good luck and success! I used to love bowhunting, it's every bit as addictive and thrilling as guns and shooting. In some ways more so. I kind of had it in my head that if I got back into it I would go the traditional route with either a long bow or recurve. Problem is I'm kind of an obsessive individual and I know if I went that route I'd go hog wild trying to master it and the gun hobby and interests would take a distant back seat.

Apparently you're of a more normal temperament and can take up the hobby and enjoy it for what it is. It is certainly an excellent and challenging sport and allows you to get out at some beautiful times of the yr. Again, much success and I don't think you will be disappointed in the adventure of it all.

Thanks all!

Like many of us probably, I started enjoying archery as a kid. Was obsessed with it by high school. Competed in local and regional shoots. Made my own bowstrings and arrows. Went through a couple of recurve hunting bows. Time & busy careers took their toll on my archery hobby.

Kept my two Hoyts:

34# 66" Pro Medalist - that I haven't shot in years
53# 62" Take Down Hunter - that I shoot time to time and have hunted with a bit

I'd haul them out now and again, especially the hunting bow, but... have to admit that I haven't been serious about my archery in years.

I've taken a bit of small game including birds, rabbits, etc... but never a deer with my bow. I'd like to change that. Washington's regs re bowhunting look pretty good, and I thought I'd give it more of an effort this year.

When I ran across the great deal on the PSE compound I decided to give it a whirl. Took my first shot ever, with a compound bow, yesterday evening. Huh, what do you know? It shoots a lot like a bow! :) But the arrow goes really, really fast! Zippy rascal. Accurate too. I'll have to start stretching the range a bit now.

My gun club has an 80 yard outdoor archery range, and an indoor range as well. I think I'll just start hauling the bow along with me when I go up there for target practice with my handguns and rifles. Should be shooting pretty well by the time the seasons roll around in September.

Guy

Guy, you can bow hunt in Oregon with an over the counter tag for elk and deer. Our elk season starts the last Saturday in August and runs for 4 weeks through the rut. 3 point or better where I live. Just a thought as you aren't to far away.

Guy,

As stated above, you need at least 5 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight in your bow; but that is recommended for safety first and target archery second.
For hunting, you will want your arrow weight to be a minimum of 7 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight, 8 is better and 9 grains per pound is even better. For example 7gr/#dw x 70# dw = 490 gr arrow (incl broadhead). Find a setup that works well in your bow. The process is no different than experimenting with handloads in a rifle to find a "pet load".
Yes, the heavier arrow will be slower, but the penetration will be much better, as it will be the momentum of the mass that will give the penetration.
The heavier arrow will also make the bow more efficient and quieter!

You may already know the following, but just in case:
A 2 blade broadhead will outpenetrate a 3 blade, which will outpenetrate a 4 blade. The extra blades do provide more cutting surfaces which will promote the hemoraging that leads to blood pressure loss and quick, clean harvests.
A lot of new archers get caught up in the speed...
The ideal is to find the right combination that works best for you in your bow, and is quiet! As you know, accuracy is the key here that leads to the confidence to make quick, clean harvests of big game with a bow. But if the bow is noisy, the animal will "jump the string" and result in a clean miss (best case scenario), or worse, result in a wounded and/or lost animal.

Glad to hear you are having fun with your new to you bow!
Good luck!

First range session today, after teaching a handgun class at the gun club:

I liked it. Still not used to it, much to learn. It shoots fast & accurately. I like those attributes!

Some 62 year old dude with a new toy:
hs127pRl.jpg

The toy:
pLIupUwl.jpg

First shots at 20 yards:
bH3qRLll.jpg

Shot out to 40 yards today. Only about 20 shots total. Enjoyed! I'm slow with this thing, but it's accurate, no doubt!

Regards, Guy

Guy you didn't mention about what your doing for a release, but I would highly recommend a mechanical one. To me shooting a bow is very similar to shooting other weapons off hand. You draw back let out a little air, line up , squeeze and let the arrow go. Its really the same mechanics as with a rifle or pistol. Don't shot to many at one sitting as fatigue will establish bad habits and do not let the arrow fly until its lined up where you want to go. Don't push the shot as you will go high and left. I also only have three pins on my sight, 20, 40 and 50. I do not feel comfortable any farther than that. Once you meet the minimum draw weight for elk, I would not worry to much about draw weight. An animal well hit with a 65 pound draw, reacts the same as if you were drawing 80.

Yup, I've got a mechanical release for the first time ever. I don't even know what make it is, came with the bow. Sure works nicely though.

Guy

Back