Elk Opened Yesterday

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I always approach elk season with high expectations. This year is no exception. I've seen quite a few herds during the past two weeks, and the elk are bugling as frost is beginning to occur regularly in the valleys. On Wednesday, Gil (my hunting partner of a decade or more) and I were looking for a moose to invite home to dinner. We had glassed a moose about 2.5 km away. Since the limit of shooting light was quickly approaching, we decided to make a quick dash over to the valley where we had seen the moose. If it was a bull, it was a young bull. If it was a cow, there was the possibility a bull was close by. We didn't have a spotting scope with us, so we couldn't really make that determination. Thus, it was determined that we needed to make the trek over to see what we were looking at.

We circled northward and moved steadily toward the west, which would permit me to drop down into the valley as we turned back south. As we neared one opening, we spotted a spike elk. Thursday, the following morning, was the opening day for elk. We opted to glass the spiker, waiting to see if other elk would follow. Sure enough, shortly a bull and a cow appeared. The bull was chasing the cow all over the field. We glassed the area, watching the made pursuit for about fifteen minutes. We made the decision to hike back to our camp (about 1.5 km east) and come back early the following morning to see what we could find.

The alarm chimed at four a.m. and we climbed out of bed, into the brisk air and hurriedly dressed. I munched a granola bar and a fruit bar. I was somewhat concerned as I was nursing the remnants of a blister on my left foot. I laced my boots tightly, ensuring there was no slippage, and gingerly tested for tenderness. Fortunately, I retained enough medical skills that I managed to salvage my ability to walk unhindered. It is a good thing, as we would cover quite a bit of territory that morning. We sprayed ourselves generously with scent suppressant and affixed wafers impregnated with elk in estrus urine. I keep some hats and clothing that are used only for this purpose, as it couldn't be worn in polite company ever again. I had some young ladies throw our hats out into the yard when we visited their father on one occasion, but that is another story.

As we approached the field where we had witnessed the elk the previous evening, we heard the first defiant bugle. A bull was screaming his defiance of every other bull and at the same time giving vocal vent to his passionate desire for any cows in the vicinity. We had carried two decoys with us along with our other gear. We hurriedly set up the decoys, liberally spraying them with elk in estrus urine. Ah, that delectable aroma always brings tears to my eyes (and to the eyes of anyone else in my immediate vicinity). After a few whispered consultations as we finalised plans for our set up, we situated ourselves about twenty five yards apart. It was 172 yards to the opening where elk often came out, with a second opening about six hundred yards to the west.

After a few minutes, Gil bugled a challenge to the bull, which was immediately met by an angry response from down in the valley. I added a couple of plaintive cow chirps, doing my best to sound as if I were pleading with a big bull to come rescue me from this tiny molester. This generated a furious rejoinder from the bull. Now was the time to be silent and let his imagination work. He was coming, screaming defiance and lust the whole way. Then, it happened.

Glancing at the opening, I saw an old cow tentatively step out. Gil was looking to the west, waiting for the bull to come out there. He didn't see the cow, but she seems to have seen him. She couldn't really identify what that strange critter was, but her fear was partly allayed by the two elk she saw contentedly standing in the midst of the meadow. So, she carefully circled to the east watching the whole while. For almost four minutes she circled; the whole time I was trying to get Gil's attention to alert him to cease his movement. In the interim, he had decided that it was time to again bugle. The cow was startled. She knew the sound, but it was emanating from the strangest looking bull she had ever seen--and he smelled as if he were a she. Confusion was writ large on her face as she lifted her head and stopped.

At this point, I ranged her a mere sixty-seven yards from me, and she hadn't yet seen me. At last, Gil looked to his left, and there was was--confused and now increasingly alarmed. At this, she wheeled and began to gallop off the meadow. Gil chirped a couple of cow calls, which stopped her mad flight. Again, seeing the decoys and assuming they were her fellow elk, she paused and began to head bob to see if anyone would move. When the other elk continued to stand still, she calmed down and began to graze. For about ten minutes she grazed and slowly worked her way toward the opening from whence she had first appeared. For about another five minutes I observed her lift her head to look over the tall grass to see if anything was amiss before she returned to grazing. At last, she left the field.

In the interim, the bull had developed a severe case of laryngitis or lock-jaw, I really couldn't tell which. He ceased being vocal. I later accused Gill of sound too mean. He insisted that he sounded like a little bitty satellite bull. Whatever was the case, we did not again get the bull to respond, and he never showed himself so that we could see him. If he was the bull we had seen the previous evening, he was a five-by-five. I had seen a six-by-six the previous week, and he already had a herd of about fifteen or twenty cows and calves. We don't know which we had doing the trash talking, and we'll have to see if we can tease him out later.

We decided to move down into the valley. As we approached one finger area on the hillside, Gil stopped me, indicating that he saw three elk about six hundred meters west of us and on the treeline. We moved up a draw and set up the decoys and began to call. Though we never got a response, after about fifteen minutes, a spike elk moved into an opening and cautiously surveyed the scene. He was nervous, but for a full five minutes he walked back and forth looking carefully to see what he had heard. Gil had said that if a spike bull or cow came close enough, he would shoot it. He was carrying his recurve bow and wanted to use it to take an elk. Unfortunately, this little gaffer kept a fair bit of bush between us and himself. He moved back from the direction he had come. I made the decision to move closer and through the opening if possible to take a shot at the bull that Gil had seen with the other elk. I was within about twenty yards of the opening when a heifer broke through the bush and stood transfixed, staring at the strange creature crouched near the opening. I held still, and though she could clearly see me, she walked steadily across the area and disappeared into the brush on the north side. I can't help but think that the sight of a couple of decoys standing about eighty yards behind us served to calm her fears.

After she moved out of sight, I moved on to the opening. Cautiously sticking my head through, I verified that there were no more elk in sight. They had moved into the woods. I had though I had seen movement as they skirted our position to the south, and it is likely that they had indeed moved into the trees to the south and then moved eastward in the deep timber. We moved on down into the valley and set up to see if anything else would appear. Other than a coyote pouncing on mice, we didn't see anything the remainder of the morning. We heard large creatures moving through the woods behind us on a couple of occasions, but they chose not to come out.

In the remainder of the day, we saw one other spike elk about about two hundred yards and quite a number of whitetail and mule deer. Unfortunately for me, I have work to do, or I would have remained in the field to harass the elk today. Well, there is always tomorrow, and I likely will find my way out to the area early tomorrow morning. As I explained to my wife when I came in late last evening, "This is why I speak of 'hunting,' and not of 'shooting.'"

Sounds like a wonderful day. Those are some magnificent creatures, wish I didn't have to go so far to hunt them.
A bad day hunting is still much better than a good day working.

Mike Great story.
Its just a matter of time and your freezers will be full. :grin:

JD338

Great story Mike! Sounds like one GREAT day out hunting some elk! Scotty

I'm seeing large numbers of elk with good numbers of mule deer and a surprising number of whitetail. Twice, I had a bead on a nice, fat black bear. However, I opted to let him continue dining on fresh clover as pulling the trigger would have meant the end of hunting for that day as I skinned him and harvested the meat and took it to the meat processor. If he is still hanging around this weekend, I may just put a fat bear in my freezer. He is not the biggest bear I've ever shot, but his belly is already within inches of the ground. He is really roly-poly. I estimate that he is about a five foot bear. A funny story on this is that Gil saw him first and said, "Hey, there's a big black dog over there." I nearly burst out laughing when I glassed him, responding, "Gil, natives may eat 'big, black dogs,' but that is a black bear." It provided comic relief for the remainder of the day as I often reminded Gil of his faux pas. That doesn't happen often, and it can be a real pleasure to remind him of such humdingers.

Great description of your hunting day! I think your elk decoys combined with your calling will produce.

Hunting elk in the rut is something every hunter should experience. It's awesome!

Keep it up Mike!

The decoys and calls have produced elk each season for both Gil and myself. I'm really sold on the decoys. I've actually witnessed cows remain in the meadow, going back to grazing, after shooting the herd bull. The sight of other cows unperturbed seems to immediately calm what would otherwise be an alarmed herd. It is one of the most amazing sights I've ever witnessed in hunting. I've actually had to walk out and retrieve a decoy to get a herd to leave. On one occasion, I had a young bull follow me out to the decoy and stand with a dejected look on his face as I walked off with his girlfriend.

Thanks Dr. Mike, for shareing that story. Needed that to get me more excited to be out hunting.

Corey

Oh, Corey, nothing like a brisk fall morning, the crunch of frost beneath foot, and hearing the scream of an angry bull elk to stir the blood.

Great story, I flelt like I was there also watching. No frost here, no elk bugling (no elk near our house) but "I" spent the entire day gathering up my stuff, shooting a little, looking at past records and enjoying the nice summer weather. Dr Mike mine was not as good as yours but it had its points.

Good move with that cow elk. You guys fooled her and she did not circle you to wind you. Working the yound interloper, bull strategy with the call is pretty hard to do. I have failed several times at it. I guess that you just have to keep trying until you actually fool a satellite or herd bull. Thanks for the writeup.

It never ceases to amaze me how wily these magnificent creatures can be, and how utterly rash they can become once the testosterone begins to rule their responses. It is still a challenge to hunt elk up close and personal. As is true for many of you, I do enjoy it. The acquisition and application of past experience is a source of contentment that only those who have participated in such activities can fully appreciate. By the time I become expert, I'll no longer be able to walk out into the valleys.

Well, another morning afield. I was somewhat late arriving for hunting. It was already 5:15 when I wheeled to a stop before the first meadow. I doused my boots in "eau d'elk" (also known as pissoir d'elk) and perched a couple of aromatic wafers on my hat. As I put my Leicas on my chest and loaded my Remington 673 with 200 grain TSX, I noticed a whitetail doe watching me from about 450 yards away. I opted to slowly walk toward her, hoping she would move carefully into the woods rather than bounding. Apparently, my deliberate approach worked as she slunk away, crouching low in an attempt to hide herself. She made it to a copse of trees about 100 yards away. As I approached where she had been, she did a "snort-wheeze," and then repeated herself a few more times just in case I didn't hear her displeasure. At last, satisfied that I intended her no harm, she moved away into the woods. There was nothing left in the meadow, so I continued on about a km toward the west before turning to go down into the valley. I carefully picked my way downhill, watching for game in the thick bush on either side of the trail.

Arriving at last in the valley, I began to glass. It was one degree and frost was underfoot. Fog thickly blanketed the valley, so it would be necessary to look carefully if I would see any game. At last, I espied a dark shape in the middle of the meadow. Working my way carefully along the treeline, I moved to within 250 yards of the creature, which I had by then ascertained to be a cow moose. I decided to settle into the trees and watch her as she grazed. After about ten minutes, she abruptly began to trot toward the treeline on the far side of the meadow. I wondered what had startled her; I was certain it wasn't me. It was still and I knew that I had practised good scent control. About that time, I heard a wolf howl about a kilometer west of our position. This vocalisation was immediately answered by the protests of a coyote pack situated what appeared to be perhaps 500 meters due south and by a second pack perhaps 500 meters to the east. I assumed that the cow had become aware of the wolf and moved with deliberation out of the open.

As I pondered this, I became aware of movement in the woods behind me. Something large was moving occasionally. There was no panic or aggression in the movement, more of a nonchalant movement that was betrayed by the occasional snap of a twig or the clear sound of movement against the underbrush. It was about this time that I witnessed two whitetails (a young buck and a doe) move out of the woods and hurry across the meadow toward the far tree line about 225 yards away. They didn't seem particularly alarmed, but they were quite definite in their movement, indicating that something had made them uncomfortable.

By this time, my curiosity was stimulated. The movement behind me was still apparent. I turned and began to peer intently into the dark forest. Then, I became aware of a black shape about seven meters to my left. As the creature moved, I verified that it was a bear grazing on forbs and berries, occasionally turning over rocks and stumps looking for fat grubs. I quietly released the safety and raised my rifle. I had a bear tag in my pocket, and this looked like a nice bear. I verified that it was indeed a good sized bear. I was waiting for a clear shot. The head was behind a large tree and I wanted the head the shoulder to clear the tree and then I'd drop the critter. Just as the bear stepped out from behind the tree, I saw movement from the corner of my eye. There was a tiny, black furry bundle not four meters from me, contentedly testing the tasty forbs on the forest floor.

I raised my hands and spoke sharply, "Hey, bear. Take your baby and leave." She was startled by the creature that was standing so close to her cub. For what seemed an eternity, we stared at one another. She was clearly stunned by this interruption in her dining routine. At last, she whirled and ran pell mell into the forest, followed by two little bundles of black fur. I hadn't seen the second cub until that point. I chose to make an exit from the area so as not to disturb her any further and began the trek up the hill.

As I walked, I considered what I might have learned. For one thing, I know that my scent control is now bear tested and approved. The cub came within four meters and never scented me, and the sow was within seven meters and didn't catch my scent. It was a confidence boosting encounter. Atop the hill, I did some desultory cow calling, but never got an answer. I witnessed several more whitetails and mule deer, but I saw no elk this morning. This is why we call it "hunting," and not "shooting." I'll undoubtedly be back early next week.

Thank you, Russ. It was indeed cool. I enjoy bears, but I respect their power. I've only been charged once by a sow, but you can never tell what is really going through her mind.

I always see game. The fawn still with spots that appeared at the side of the road as I drove out caught my attention. I never saw the doe and thought to myself that the poor little thing was born late. It likely won't last the winter. However, coyotes and wolves have to eat as well. Nature is a hard master, despite her beauty.

I must say that I'm quite unable to fully rid myself of the aroma of pissoir d'elk. The pungent fragrance lingers. However, I have voluntarily restricted myself to my man cave so I don't have to hear any rude remarks from my wife, and I was careful to leave my boots in a box in the carport. I wonder if we'll manage to do our usual walk this afternoon. After I had come in from hunting, I drove to A&W where I shared a coffee with some of the men from my church. One, in particular, asked me not to wave my hat around. He muttered something about his eyes tearing up. Another wondered aloud whether we might be ejected from A&W. It will make for some raucous laughter at my expense during services tomorrow. It has been a fine day so far.

Back