25 Creed Pachmayr Dominator=Dead Elk

Thanks guys.
On Sunday afternoon, I switched out the 2-6 Weaver pistol scope ( I really don't like pistol scopes on specialty pistols), and put on a Leupold VX5 HD 2-10 with Fire Dot reticle. WOW, what an amazing difference. On Monday late morning I ran out to Mac's Gunworks with Glenn, To shoot the 250 Savage Custom Shop XP-100 and the Blaser R93 Pistol in 308 Winchester for fun out to 500 yards (in 100 yard increments), to prepare for whitetail hunting soon. I also took the 25 Creed Dominator to zero the scope at 100 yards, and I also ran drops with it out to 500 yards (20, 300, 400, and 500).
Glenn had never shot any of these pistols, so he shot all three too.
He loved the 25 Creed Dominator most of all. His first two shots at 300 yards were literally on top of each other, and the third was just right a tad and a smidge lower (we were having some gusting winds). I am moving the the Leupold variable pistol scope off of my 6.5 Creed Dominator soon as well.
I guess I need to sell some pistol scopes :)
The VX-5HD 2-10x42mm with the Duplex FireDot is a great scope. I have the exact same scope on my Nosler M21 375 H&H Mag

JD338

The VX-5HD 2-10x42mm with the Duplex FireDot is a great scope. I have the exact same scope on my Nosler M21 375 H&H Mag

JD338
My same scope is going onto my LH Rem 700 in 358 Win (iron sights installed and replaced Rem DM that would not feed the 358 shells with BDL floorplate and mag box) that is currently waiting for a new stock. (Original rifle builder had a rh BDL DM stock converted to lh and painted. Frankenstein! Getting a Boyds AA Claro walnut for it). Should be perfect for bear and moose hunting with this rifle/scope combination! (I have yet to shoot my BLR in 358 out past 300 yards, even in practice, as it has been a brush and back up rifle for 20 years, and mounted with a VX-III 1.5-5x20)
That FireDot will stand out nicely against dark skins in the thick timber and/or low/last light! (Now have a VX-R 2-7x33 on my Marlin 375 Win for the same purpose.)
I had this scope initially on my LH Sako Finnlight II in 338 Federal, but replaced it with a VX-6HD 2-12x42 with illuminated B&C reticle when I came across a used one at a relatively decent price. I haven't needed to illuminate the reticle while hunting yet, but it is sure nice to be able to do so!
Love how bright these scopes are at first and last light!

Been playing with them (the VX-6 on the 338 Federal and the VX-5 on my 6.5 PRC) on various types of field targets (trees, rocks, stumps, etc.) in the field 1/2 hour past sunset to see how well they resolve those targets out in the fields and cut blocks, along the forest edges, and on targets back in the timber (open ppoplar and thick, dark spruce), compared to the VX-3 2.5-8x36 B&C on my wife's rifle (which I also have the same scopes on my 3 Model 88s), when set so that the exit pupil (5mm) is the same for a relatively apples-to-apples comparison. (Also not using the illum. reticle when doing the comparison with the VX-6.)
- Definitely a difference in favour of the newer HD glass. (better coatings)
- It gets more pronounced as magnification is adjusted for a 6mm or 7mm exit pupil on the VX-5 and 6 scopes. (Apparently my aging pupils are still able to dilate more than 5mm!)
- The increased field of view also aids in acquiring the targets quicker in the low light. Now that there is snow on the ground, the difference is even more noticeable.
- The slightly heavier B&C reticles in the VX-5 and 6 scopes (relative to the reticle in the VX-3) also make it easier to see the reticle against the darker targets.

A better test would be to resolve writing and target squares/circles/diamonds on a paper target on the range at last light to really see how much difference there is, and what each scope is capable of so many minutes after sunset...but I haven't been at the range at this time of day to conduct such as test of late.
I thought I would just check this out in the field where I could do so with various targets in the various settings as described; which is apt to be more comparable to actual hunting scenarios.

My same scope is going onto my LH Rem 700 in 358 Win (iron sights installed and replaced Rem DM that would not feed the 358 shells with BDL floorplate and mag box) that is currently waiting for a new stock. (Original rifle builder had a rh BDL DM stock converted to lh and painted. Frankenstein! Getting a Boyds AA Claro walnut for it). Should be perfect for bear and moose hunting with this rifle/scope combination! (I have yet to shoot my BLR in 358 out past 300 yards, even in practice, as it has been a brush and back up rifle for 20 years, and mounted with a VX-III 1.5-5x20)
That FireDot will stand out nicely against dark skins in the thick timber and/or low/last light! (Now have a VX-R 2-7x33 on my Marlin 375 Win for the same purpose.)
I had this scope initially on my LH Sako Finnlight II in 338 Federal, but replaced it with a VX-6HD 2-12x42 with illuminated B&C reticle when I came across a used one at a relatively decent price. I haven't needed to illuminate the reticle while hunting yet, but it is sure nice to be able to do so!
Love how bright these scopes are at first and last light!

Been playing with them (the VX-6 on the 338 Federal and the VX-5 on my 6.5 PRC) on various types of field targets (trees, rocks, stumps, etc.) in the field 1/2 hour past sunset to see how well they resolve those targets out in the fields and cut blocks, along the forest edges, and on targets back in the timber (open ppoplar and thick, dark spruce), compared to the VX-3 2.5-8x36 B&C on my wife's rifle (which I also have the same scopes on my 3 Model 88s), when set so that the exit pupil (5mm) is the same for a relatively apples-to-apples comparison. (Also not using the illum. reticle when doing the comparison with the VX-6.)
- Definitely a difference in favour of the newer HD glass. (better coatings)
- It gets more pronounced as magnification is adjusted for a 6mm or 7mm exit pupil on the VX-5 and 6 scopes. (Apparently my aging pupils are still able to dilate more than 5mm!)
- The increased field of view also aids in acquiring the targets quicker in the low light. Now that there is snow on the ground, the difference is even more noticeable.
- The slightly heavier B&C reticles in the VX-5 and 6 scopes (relative to the reticle in the VX-3) also make it easier to see the reticle against the darker targets.

A better test would be to resolve writing and target squares/circles/diamonds on a paper target on the range at last light to really see how much difference there is, and what each scope is capable of so many minutes after sunset...but I haven't been at the range at this time of day to conduct such as test of late.
I thought I would just check this out in the field where I could do so with various targets in the various settings as described; which is apt to be more comparable to actual hunting scenarios.
Good stuff!
Keep us updated.

Back