25 Creed Pachmayr Dominator=Dead Elk

xphunter

Handloader
Sep 15, 2005
Being able to hunt with a good Christian Brother is a wonderful privilege. I can easily say there is no way I would’ve shot this cow elk, if I had been hunting alone. It has been my desire for some time, to take an elk with one of my BCG Pachmayr Dominators.

That desire was fulfilled last Thursday. The cartridge is the 25 Creedmoor (Peterson 6mm Creedmoor brass necked to 25 caliber), with a 110 Grain Nosler AccuBond bullet at 2734 ft./s, from a 14” barrel.
LGQcaN0l.jpg

zcgpcg0l.jpg

Dan Ekstrom and I spent a lot of time on the glass today. We kept finding bull elk, and it wasn’t till around 1:30 PM, where we saw our first group of elk that had cows in it. They were basically impossible to get to with my current physical capability, and they were just under 800 yards away, with a large draw between us. We began to make our way around to the general area where we had seen them.

Dan had the urge to stop the truck and walk down a ways to look over a ridge…and he found a group of cow elk. He hustled back, and we began to make our way down to the edge of the draw, only to find beautiful scenery, but no elk. After looking around and moving around slowly, Dan began to do some cow calling, and wouldn’t you know it, a cow elk showed herself. I went down prone with a field bag, to make the shot and right before the trigger broke, she began moving to the right and up the ridge, to where I did not have a shot. There was more elk behind her, and they kept moving as well. We both thought the opportunity was blown, then all of a sudden, a large cow showed herself, coming up from the bottom. She was quartering away, so the 110 grain AccuBond had to travel a lot further, than just a broadside double lung shot. What an enjoyable moment.
v1eNxJel.jpg

Dan went all the way down the draw and up to mark the spot with his GPS, so we could drive around and find an easier way to pack her out. She was quartered right there, and then Dan had a very short, yet steep pack out to the vehicle. It was a great day!
3TGsJcpl.jpg

What an exciting hunt. Congratuitous on taking your cow with the 25 Creedmoor/ Dominator.

JD338

Congrats on a successful hunt👍
Boy that handgun is striking the same as what I have. 25 Creed using 6mm Creed Peterson brass but with Nosler 115gr BT in a Striker😁

Congrats on a successful hunt👍
Boy that handgun is striking the same as what I have. 25 Creed using 6mm Creed Peterson brass but with Nosler 115gr BT in a Striker😁
That is pretty cool!
What barrel length and MV do you get with your Striker?

That was excellent on every level, Ernie. And with a 25 Creedmoor, yet! Great to have a good friend when the body begins to rebel against the normal demands we place on it.(y)

Very Cool Ernie! so glad you are getting out - and having success. Also good to see a .25 get some credit and air time. Makes me think about Elk w/ my 250 Savage. :) CL

Sounds like a great day afield with a valued hunting partner!
So cool to do with a quarter bore!
What is your recipe for that load?
Will need to try in the 250AI as the case dimensions are virtually identical

Sounds like a great day afield with a valued hunting partner!
So cool to do with a quarter bore!
What is your recipe for that load?
Will need to try in the 250AI as the case dimensions are virtually identical
Necked up 6 Creed Peterson brass, 110 AB, 41.5 grain H-4350, 210M, 2.707 OAL, and using a .282 bushing

Thanks
Will be interesting to see how it works in my 24" barrel 250AI
Curious what your brass's water capacity is?
so I can compare to my Quality Cartridge 250 AI brass and adjust the load appropriately with QuickLoad

Thanks
so I can compare to my Quality Cartridge 250 AI brass and adjust the load appropriately with QuickLoad
Just fill the case with regular tap water and then weigh the water only?

Deoxygenate tap water by allowing it to set out overnight in an open container. Pipette deoxygenated water into a tared, once-fired case until you form a convex meniscus. Weigh water at ~70F.

Thanks
50 grains of water.

Thanks guys.
On Sunday afternoon, I switched out the 2-6 Weaver pistol scope ( I really don't like pistol scopes on specialty pistols), and put on a Leupold VX5 HD 2-10 with Fire Dot reticle. WOW, what an amazing difference. On Monday late morning I ran out to Mac's Gunworks with Glenn, To shoot the 250 Savage Custom Shop XP-100 and the Blaser R93 Pistol in 308 Winchester for fun out to 500 yards (in 100 yard increments), to prepare for whitetail hunting soon. I also took the 25 Creed Dominator to zero the scope at 100 yards, and I also ran drops with it out to 500 yards (20, 300, 400, and 500).
Glenn had never shot any of these pistols, so he shot all three too.
He loved the 25 Creed Dominator most of all. His first two shots at 300 yards were literally on top of each other, and the third was just right a tad and a smidge lower (we were having some gusting winds). I am moving the the Leupold variable pistol scope off of my 6.5 Creed Dominator soon as well.
I guess I need to sell some pistol scopes :)

I guess Glenn wants to shoot my Dominator some more in the near future. I keep my Amp Annealer at his place (He loves to use that thing), so he asked me when we got back to the house about annealing my 25 Creed brass. I only have 50 rounds for this pistol, since it is a hunting gun only. Well, he took my fired cases and following day brought by the annealed 25 Creed brass. I guess I need to get them sized, so I can check to see if they need to be trimmed, then get them loaded up.

Back