7mm-08 Rem elk loads

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
For those that have used it on elk, since I never have, what were your loads and bullets of choice? How did it do?

I have a buddy that is going to use his this year and he wants me to work up a load. Unfortunately I do not have access to too many different bullets due to the Biden fiasco.
I do have 150 Ballistic tips and 154 and 162 gr Hornady BTSP.
Anyway thank you.

I have used 140 Hornady IB with 4451, 2880 fps. Big 6x6 just south of Yellowstone pass through and no tracking needed.
At 7-08 speeds both bullets you have should work well. I have loaded 150 BT's to 2760 fps with Ramshot Hunter in 22" barrel and it shot well about MOA, some days a little less some a little over.

FOTIS":o3ca4neu said:
For those that have used it on elk, since I never have, what were your loads and bullets of choice? How did it do?

I have a buddy that is going to use his this year and he wants me to work up a load. Unfortunately I do not have access to too many different bullets due to the Biden fiasco.
I do have 150 Ballistic tips and 154 and 162 gr Hornady BTSP.
Anyway thank you.
Hey Fotis!

The 7mm-08, as you know is a ballistic twin of the 7x57 Mauser.
I would opt for the 154 gr or the 162 gr bullets. The cup and core are perfect for those 2 rounds!
Get the 154 gr bullets up to 2750 - 2800 fps, and your buddy is golden. Get the 162 gr bullets to zipping along 2650 - 2700 fps, even better for elk.
I’m sure you’ll get the right stuff going, and get them an awesome round to hunt elk.
If anyone can get the most out of the 7mm-08, it’s you!

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

145 gr speer BTSP H4350 powder.
use the same load for every thing has taken elk and moose.

Those 150gr Ballistic Tips are where I'd start. The Partitions have proven excellent performers and the 7-08 MV isn't hard on bullets like a Big 7.

Fotis,
The 150 gr AB would be a great choice. You could work up a load with the BT and tweak it with the AB.

JD338

I’d shoot the 150 NBTs…. and stay away from shoulders.

I’d way rather have a 140 TTSX than any of the options you listed…. I’ve seen those out of a 7/08 vs. elk, it’s always impressive.

Watched my friends 15 year old boy drop a cow like she’d been pole-axed at 315 with a 139gr SST. I can’t get them to shoot in mine.

I can get 140 accubonds to fly 2939 fps with a max load of staball 6.5. I have been working on developing an elk load for the 7-08 in case my son gets drawn for a youth KY elk hunt. I would think that this load would be dynamite for elk and not to rough on the shoulder.

I hunted with the 150BT's & RL-15 (@2650fps) for many, many years. I would not hesitate a Nano-second to use them on an elk.

Fotis the 280 Remington I had with the 22" barrel did not have much higher velocities than what you can get in the 7mm-08. I had great luck with the 140 gr. Partition on a lot of elk including my largest which was a huge 6 point. The 140 gr. AccuBond would be equally as good that coming from great success in my 280AI.

As you have the 150 gr. Ballistic Tips, those would certainly work as well. I would have no worries using them on elk either. Good luck.

Back