Kimber CDP 4"

Yonkyu

Beginner
Jan 30, 2005
I am looking at this for my next pistol.

I currently own a Sig 220, had it for 18 years and I bought it due to the fact that I am by and large a revolver guy.

I have been through the Gunsite course several times by now and I find the 1911 pistol sublime. This being the case, the CDP looks like the one for me. Tritium sites, alloy and SS, Kimber melt job and upgrades.

Any comments pro or con? Better model choice?

I carry a CDP daily. You almost cannot do any better for the $. It always works, is accurate and carries really nicely almost anywhere, anytime. Beats the hell out of a 220 in my opinion.

Guys in our shop love em!

It is also our top selling handgun.

Our biggest problem is keeping them in stock :grin:

I own 8 kimbers in all, I like the full sized for shooting but the Pro model is a little easier to carry and I like the balance in my hand also. The full size seems a little less recoil but not much difference. Of all the Kimbers I own the one with the best trigger is my Ultra Carry, also it will shoot right with my Custom shop gun as well at 25 yds. I have one or two that do not like the Federal Hydra Shok 230 gr bullets for some reason, the rest don't matter what I load in them.

The one gun I really like is the Pro Carry in .38 super, it has nice feel and way less recoil then .45 acp but on paper as much energy as .45.

Honestly I can shoot a 3" or so grouping with my P220 all day long and do just as well with the Kimber. They are both fantastic weapons. When it comes down to my particular two weapons I trust that the P220 will feed pretty much anything where as the Kimber prefers ball (or ball like) ammo. Ie the Cor-Bon PowerBall stuff feeds no problem. In a self defense sense the gun I want on my side is the one that I KNOW every time I pull the trigger its going to go bang. I have a very slight better feeling about that in my Sig. But my Sig is also pretty new... All in all I love owning both weapons!

Back