44 mag - winchester 240 grain PSP

lanman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
I received quiet a shock last week. A friend brought over his 44 mag and was shooting in the yard. For grins I lined up a few jugs and had him shoot them. Having shot jugs with the 444 Marlin the previous week using the sierra 250 grainers and going 5 jugs, I predicted 3-4 jugs.. Boy was I wrong. I had 5 milk jugs lined up with two fabric softner jugs as backup. They are narrow and deeper making for a longer path of travel. After the shot I walked over and grabbed jug #4, Busted...so was #5.. I was shocked when I found a bullet hole in the back of the 6th.. And even more so when I found the back of the 7th jugs split open. The bullet was in the bottom of jug #7.. Very little expansion but much more penetration than I expected.

This is a factory loaded, 240 grain winchester pointed soft point from a 44 mag handgun 4.5" barrel @ 20 yards

4vZNjDk-IABZXMuY_RFqINZQ8D3g7dbIlFMwgjVVrTBB=w300-h400-no

FLAjl-1RS-8p1y6q1fOc15P24U8xR2F_UP2BMpyXyDoR=w746-h994-no

Pretty impressive! Unexpected, perhaps, but impressive nevertheless.

Am not surprised. Have taken a couple of mule deer over the years with Federal factory 240 gr ammo, from my .44 mag revolver. The stuff works very well. I think it's that modest velocity from the revolver that keeps the bullets from coming apart.

Factory bullets for the .44 seem, for the most part, to be pretty well thought out.

Thanks for sharing that!

Regards, Guy

That is some serious penetration. Quite impressive.

JD338

A pointed soft point in 44 Mag ? Tried to Google it and could only find the JSP. Reason I'm curious is that I am using the Winchester 240 JSP for whitetails, just haven't shot one yet.

Gunner46":upuewctr said:
A pointed soft point in 44 Mag ? Tried to Google it and could only find the JSP. Reason I'm curious is that I am using the Winchester 240 JSP for whitetails, just haven't shot one yet.

They were not mine so I was going off of memory.. So I also googled it and you are correct.. They were JSP's not PSP's..

maxresdefault.jpg

That bullet would let a lot of leaking occur I bet. Thinking that mushed flat point would kill pretty well.

Back