30-06 Rem 700 CDL

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006

Just really happy with this rifle. I suppose I ought to take it apart completely for a good cleaning today.

Guy

Yes you should! It certainly served you well. Just curious guy if you have had it glass bedded and the trigger worked on to fine tune it?

In the last 12 months or so that gun has accounted for a lot of different kind of game. Pretty tough to beat the old '06.

You realise it is supposed to be impossible to kill a grizzly with a push feed rifle, I'm amazed your bolt handle didn't fall off and it didn't jam when you were upside down ;) Not to mention you need a stainless steel/fibreglass rifle in a magnum round with a brand new scope :lol:

That rifle has performed quite well for you, Guy. No doubt, it will continue to do so for years to come.

David - it's a near twin to my .25-06 700 CDL. I took them both to the same local gunsmith at the same time. Had him set the triggers at a crisp three pounds. He also pillar bedded them, and free-floated the barrels.

They were good rifles as Remington built them, they got better after Mitch set them up for me.

The 30-06 has indeed taken a wide range of game. Last fall: black bear, pronghorn, mule deer and elk. Now I can add wolf and grizzly bear... Dang. No wonder I like this rifle!

The old beater 2-7x Redfield? Ha! I got that on a used rifle some years ago. Decided the rifle wasn't for me, but I kind of liked the scope. It's been floating around on a variety of my rifles for several years. Really like it on the 30-06, as 2x is terrific for "up close and fast" while 6 or 7x is plenty for 300 yard shots.

Guy

Six different species in rather short order is quite impressive 8) Those older Redfield's seem to have been great scopes, the one I sold to a buddy years ago just keeps going. Really like the 2-7 as well although we have Burris scopes in a 2-7x35.

Yes that rifle has served you well to say the least. It's how one becomes attached to a rifle and the more miles you walk together just makes the bond stronger.

My wife saw the tape on the barrel...

I told her I had to tape it back together after breaking it on a log.... :wink:

Guy

1100 Remington Man":214n48qr said:
Yes that rifle has served you well to say the least. It's how one becomes attached to a rifle and the more miles you walk together just makes the bond stronger.
Until I showed up here my old Ruger tang safety 30-06 was my main rifle. One does seem to bond with the one that feels the best in ones hands and does what we want with out any fanfare.
That's a nice looking rifle Guy and it has served you well this season. (y)

gerry":3mmwjqj0 said:
You realise it is supposed to be impossible to kill a grizzly with a push feed rifle, I'm amazed your bolt handle didn't fall off and it didn't jam when you were upside down ;) Not to mention you need a stainless steel/fibreglass rifle in a magnum round with a brand new scope :lol:

Yup! How many pushfeed Weatherby's have accounted for elephant, Cape buffalo hippo lion etc in Africa? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's a classic for sure. Glad to hear it served you well with your grizzly bear. Congrats on another successful trip.

Truly an American Classic!
Great looking rifle Guy.

JD338

Back