Mannlicher Schoenauer M1903 6.5x54

ElmerThud

Handloader
Jul 16, 2011
The verdict is the barrel is well & truly knackered.
The cost to have a new correctly profiled MSch.6.5 x 54 Kreiger chrome moly & blued replacement £1250-£1500.

The down side?
I'd lose the proof date stamp of .22 (1922) and matching serial number. (I'll have photographs of course)
Keeping the original barrel (for provenance)may not be an option as removing it from the action in such a way as to not damage the receiver is likely to require the barrel to be sawn to 'relieve tension' on the threaded receiver.
The rifle will no longer be original.

The up side
The rifle will still be original calibre/cartridge but shoot accurately.

Things that make you go Hmmmm....???

And there lies the nub of it.
Spend the dosh & have a shootable rifle in orginal cal./cartridge or put in the cupboard out of use and spend on a different project.

I'm inclined to think I'd like to have the rifle fully shootable. Particularly as the rest of the rifle is in excellent order.
I'm not about to sell it but remain unconvinced the rifle would be undesirable with a new barrel if it ever were to be sold.
If I proceed, it will be months until the job is done.

That's tough. Though it would no longer be a collectable, I agree with you that a rifle is built to shoot. I'd be inclined to replace the barrel and use the rifle quite happily. Truly a fell blow.

I buy them to shoot.
I'd put on the new barrel. :grin:
I figure collectors value will be someone else's issue as I don't plan to get rid of them. Thought the family would have to deal with that buuuuuuut, a friend here said he'd bring his truck whenever I keel over and take care of it. :lol: Man.

If it won't shoot it's of no use to me, rebarrel and shoot it. It will still be a classy rifle.

So that's it folks, I just commissioned the rebarrelling of my MSch. M1903 with the Kreiger replacement. So that'll be around fifteen hundred quid and a six month period parted from my rifle.
Hoooooooey !

I do believe it is the best you are going to do in this instance. It will be a sweet rifle to carry afield when it is complete.

DrMike":3o3nvzxx said:
I do believe it is the best you are going to do in this instance. It will be a sweet rifle to carry afield when it is complete.

I certainly hope so Mike and am looking forward to next season to be able to do just that.
Cheers.

Dwh7271":unua8v3n said:
I buy them to shoot.
I'd put on the new barrel. :grin:
I figure collectors value will be someone else's issue as I don't plan to get rid of them. Thought the family would have to deal with that buuuuuuut, a friend here said he'd bring his truck whenever I keel over and take care of it. :lol: Man.

(y) I reckon that's spot on & exactly my conclusion.
All else about the rifle is in excellent condition and the action so slick.
Only one other aspect can be improved, that being the trigger. It's of its time and not crisp. Too much 'creep'. So that will also get some attention.

Back