338-06 or 35 Whalen

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
So its 10 below outside and im sitting by the fire, surfing the web a little looking at used guns and thinking if i were to rebarrel which one would be better? I have shot a 35 and carried it hunting for a few years until I gave it back to my uncle. I dont have any experience with the 338 but got to thinking and a quick search showed that yes there is much larger selection of bullets and just as heavy. And if you got a custom barrel you could get the twist you needed. So any advantage of one to the other? Interested on eveyones thoughts.

I like the Whelen better myself. You can load pistol bullets if you like all the way up to the 310 Woodleigh if you get a faster twist like a 1 in 12, a 1 in 14 might do it all too. Factory loads are easy to find if necessary. There are more bullets in 338 but there are plenty of great 35 cal bullets out there. In the field there would be no difference in performance to speak of when loaded to their full potential.

You might want to consider the 9.3x62l instead of the 338-06. It compares nicely with the Whelen but you have a lot of heavyweight bullets to consider if you like heavy for caliber bullets. You have factory loads available too if needed.

I went with the 338-06 and have been very happy with it.
My King barrel is 22" with a 1:10 twist.
Both the Weatherby factory ammo with the 210 gr Partition and my handload with the 215 gr SGK will print 1/2" grups at 100 yards at 2750 fps.
The higher BC of the SGK will actually carry better velocity and energy than the 338 Win Mag and the Federal Premium factory 210 gr Partition load past 300 yards. With reduced recoil and ability to put 5 cartridges in the magazine.
I know several people with the 338-06AI, and my regular version is getting the same velocities that they are seeing, without the need to fireform cases.

Not knocking the 35 Whelen, it is a great cartridge too. Its bullets in the same weights just do not have as good of BC and SD numbers, meaning lower retained velocities and energy downrange, and less penetration. But inside 300 yards, no animal is going to be able to tell the difference with a well placed shot. Factory ammi is still available for the 35 Whelen, which is significant issue, if you do not handload.

In the end, if you have a preference over one caliber vs the other, than go for it and have fun!
Either way, you are going to enjoy hunting with your new rifle!

cloverleaf":303g3ggf said:
Careful..."Cabin fever"...can be hard on the check book... :) CL

To top it off there is a gun show in town next weekend, at least i am thinking ahead a little..narrow down what i may be interested in, the list is getting longer the more i think about it tho :lol:

I like the 35 Whelen but for a 338 I choose the 338 Win instead of the 338-06.
I was loading just under 338 Win velocities with my 35AI and couldn't see stepping down in horse power with the 338-06. I'm not knocking the 338-06 and I considered it a lot before I had my 35AI barrel made.
I'm not hunting anything I need more then 3-4 shots to kill and if I can't do it with 2 then I guess I should have practiced shooting my gun more or used a bigger gun. :)o)

338-06. If you need a Savage project rifle and barrel, I have one.

I have recently been working on one I purchased too, and hope to use it this fall. I went with the 338 due to the larger selection of bullets, as you mention. The difference in the size of the hole is nominal, but the difference in bullet selection is vast.

I also have a 340 Weatherby, so already had 338-sized bullets.

Dr. Vette":k9vfri0a said:
338-06. If you need a Savage project rifle and barrel, I have one.

I have recently been working on one I purchased too, and hope to use it this fall. I went with the 338 due to the larger selection of bullets, as you mention. The difference in the size of the hole is nominal, but the difference in bullet selection is vast.

I also have a 340 Weatherby, so already had 338-sized bullets.

Now this leads into the next question I was thinking about...Donor Action/rifle..
Savage; I haven't had any experience with the savage other than a 22, and I know that they are easy to change out a barrel and saw the Shaw 333-06 in Brownells and that is what started this whole thought process, how are the triggers and do they need to be switched out or can you work on them yourself..
Remington; find a SPS and change out the barrel, trigger, stock, bottom metal (if an ADL), and smooth the action
Ruger 77; Barrel, stock and work on the trigger, and smooth the action
Winchester; I have no experience with
Tikka; Smooth action and decent trigger already so just change the barrel and stock
Sako; A7 roughneck good stock, trigger and action so just change the barrel..if able to find one at a decent price(say $500-$600) is this the best way to go?

And now the engineer in me is kicking in so I'll add a little spreadsheet
some quick searching of local dealers and classifieds
Savage rifle $300-500
Remington rifle $400-600
Ruger rifle $450-600
Winchester rifle $500-800
Tikka $550-700
Sako $600-800
B&C Stock $300
Triggers $150
Barrels $200-500 +smith time if non savage type

I like the Remington, Mod 70 Sporter or Featherweight, and the Ruger 77. In that order. I have friends out here who use the 338/06 and the old 200gr Hornady sp on everything! I'm the only one amongst this gaggle that has ever used a 35 Whelen and I had it Ackleyed. Like TD, once you have seen/killed game with a 35 WAI at top speeds...its tough to go back. I too went with another 338 winMga. when I was a younger man, and lived in Texas, I wanted a 338/06. I then read of the 338/270 HTG (a .270 necked up and Ackleyed) and it looked great to me. I was looking for a donor rifle to put together for my first trip to South Africa (96) when I came upon a like new Mod 700 Classic in 35 Whelen. Well, since I had just read a lot about the new Classic and Boddington killing that moose with it, I was intrigued. I bought the rifle and shot a few rounds, but I had also been reading a lot of Gary Sitton's works and he had put together a 35 Whelen Ackley for elk. I was hooked. I had my local smith put a decelerator pad on it and tune the trigger. I sent it to Gary Stiles to rechamber to the Ackley, kept the factory bedding. It was so awesome with its 250X it ruined me, ha! I later tried a 338/280 but all I could find was the nickle plated stuff and (it could have been a bad Lot of 100) half would split at fireforming or loading after sizing. I had that rifle converted to 338 winMag. I did try a new Ruger 77 All Weather in 338 Federal and it was a sweety...just no Magnum OR Whelen, ha. I think the 338/06 is a fine round, seeing what my friends do with them ( how is a 400+ yd cow elk with the 200 Hornady sound to you? :)) and some like the little 338 Federal ( my fave bullet for it was the 160TTSX) but, with a rifle you like to carry/use ( for me its the Mod 700 Classic) its hard not to choose the 338WM. Load down or up, its a "tasty huckleberry"! :) Its always choice/preference of the rifleman. Please keep us in the loop which one you get as "your committed to it now, it will haunt you in your sleep until you get one"! ha

Slimfinn":1sq2b9nf said:
And now the engineer in me is kicking in so I'll add a little spreadsheet
some quick searching of local dealers and classifieds
Savage rifle $300-500
Remington rifle $400-600
Ruger rifle $450-600
Winchester rifle $500-800
Tikka $550-700
Sako $600-800
B&C Stock $300
Triggers $150
Barrels $200-500 +smith time if non savage type

I did my 35 Whelen on a LH Rem 700 SPS Action and was happy with how it turned out. probably would have been just as happy with a Win model 70 or Tikka T 3. It feeds very well and I like the extra room in the magazine that the Rem 700 gives over some other actions. In the end it's all about what action you like the best and you can have a great gun made on any of them.

I would go with the 35 Whelen, an American classic.
Loaded up with a 250 gr PT, it will handle anything from mice to moose out to 300-400 yards with the right scope. I love the fast 338 cals for long range hunting.

JD338

I shoot a 338-06 Ackley with 210 PTs and my son shoots a 35 Whelen with 225 SGKs. Both do an excellent job on everything from deer to moose. I would be happy with either.

I went with a lh Rem 700 BDL for my 338-06, with a 22" barrel with NECG front banded sight and rear peep for back up. Mounted it in a Wenig nutmeg laminate stock with ebony fore end and grip cap, and a LimibSaverrecoil pad for added lop. Had trigger set to 3 lbs and mounted a Leupold VX 3 3.5-10x40 B&C scope on it in QR rings and bases.
It is a great rifle and shoots very well.A little heavy as they put a heavier contour on it then what I ordered, but since it shoots so well and balances great, I am afraid to mess with it to save some weight. Love it!

If I were to do it again, the only thing that I might change from my original order maybe to use a lh Sako action with a DM. They are such sweet, smooth actions!
I do not regret the Rem 700 as they can become very smooth with use. And I have never changed out a factory trigger, they work just fine for me when tuned properly at 3 lbs. I often wear light gloves when hunting, and I can still feel the trigger well when set to this pull.

It will boil down to your preferences and budget for the donor rifle or action.

First off, I will admit I am prejudiced in favor of the .35 Whelen. Truth be told, it would be six of one and half dozen of the other. I'm kind of find a bullet that will do it all under most circumstances and go with that. I have three rifles chambered to the .35 Whelen, a Ruger M77, Remington M700 Classic and someone's custom Mauser I picked up for a good price. It worked so well and fit me so well that I just might have been made for me in the first place. Favored load is the Barnes 225 gr. TSX over 60.4 gr. of Re15 for 2710 FPS at the muzzle. Groups run from .50" to .75" depending on how well I'm shooting that day. Smacks elk down from 75 yards to 350 yard in a serious manner.

Would not surprise me if a 338-6 would not do the exact same thing.

The late Finn Aagaard did a comparison of the two cartridges using two rebarreled commercial FN Mausers IIRC. Rifle were as identical as possible to make differing only in the cartridge chambered. He decided he liked the 338-06 a bit better but said it made no difference be cause he had both. The book is Finn Aagard-selected works. Unfortunately they do not tell which magazine, Rifle or handloader the article came from although my guess would be Rifle. It would take a while to chase it down and make a copy and the book with it is a paper back and I don't think I'd want to destroy the book to get the article. If the OP is interested, he can PM me a snail mail address and I'll see if I can find it. Might take a few days.
Paul B.

Now this leads into the next question I was thinking about...Donor Action/rifle..
Savage; I haven't had any experience with the savage other than a 22, and I know that they are easy to change out a barrel and saw the Shaw 333-06 in Brownells and that is what started this whole thought process, how are the triggers and do they need to be switched out or can you work on them yourself..

The Savages are extremely easy to do. No problem at all if you have any meechanical inclination whatsoever.
Triggers- any of the upgrades (Timney, Jewell,etc) can be fit but I would say buy a Rifle
Basix trigger for the Savages and you're good to go. Really very good especially considering price versus some of the others.
You'll need a barrel nut wrench (usually included with Shaw's barrels), a way to hold the action while manipulating the barrel nut wrench, a go gauge. Hanging the trigger is a simple swap.
Probably want to upgrade or bed the stock.
I've done quite a few of them and they're fun and easy to swap out.
Actually, since you're considering a Savage, a switch barrel rig would be easy. You could have both and trade back and forth for only the price of a second barrel. :lol: :lol: Same bolt head works for both.
As for opinion: 338-06 for all the reasons given above.(I really like mine) Or if you really want some fun consider a 9.3x62. (sorry, couldn't help myself :shock: )

I have some of the tools and parts to do the Savage. I was going to build a 338-06 on a Model 110 in 30-06 that I have, but found a completed rifle. I had all of the parts 2 years ago, but can't find the recoil lug since we moved.

You can work on the older Savage trigger, or replace it. The AccuTrigger can easily be tuned by swapping springs if that's what you buy as a donor. I found my donor on a local guns-for-sale board, so no FFL transfer needed.

7 or 8 years ago I had my 35 Whelen built up in DC where both DrMike and Gil reside (y). I spent a number of hours talking with DrMike, along with a number of others on this forum who all had a very high regard to the good old calibre. I also looked at the 338-06 and it too had a number of followers but in the end I choose the 35 because of the availability of factor ammo as after I am gone my boys are not reloaders, also because of the history of Whelen :wink:.
I started from scratch with a Defiance action and then purchased a 24" PacNor barrel with a 1-14" twist which is perfect for the 225gr AccuBond I shoot out of her.
I am right now down sizing my herd by 4 or 5 rifles but I do plan on at least 1 last custom in the 6.5 or similar calibre this time I will be using a Remington 700 action trued up.

Blessings,
Dan

Back