H&R Leatherneck 22 rifle

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Wow - didn't even know about these! Wandered into my local gunshop and the proprietor, knowing I'm a Marine, handed this large, fairly heavy 22 semi-auto...

To his disappointment, I didn't buy, but what an interesting rifle! They were made in the 1940's, as a training rifle for the Marines who were transitioning from the Springfield to the M1 Garand at the time. Very interesting! The "Leatherneck" has a stout barrel, the stock is made to the same dimensions as the M1 Garand, and it came with a Redfield receiver sight. I liked the heft of it, and figure it is probably quite a shooter.

There, I've about exhausted my meager knowledge of the H&R Leatherneck 22 rifle. :)

Anyone here ever own or use one?

Guy

Guy Miner":2szj4oe6 said:
Wow - didn't even know about these! Wandered into my local gunshop and the proprietor, knowing I'm a Marine, handed this large, fairly heavy 22 semi-auto...

To his disappointment, I didn't buy, but what an interesting rifle! They were made in the 1940's, as a training rifle for the Marines who were transitioning from the Springfield to the M1 Garand at the time. Very interesting! The "Leatherneck" has a stout barrel, the stock is made to the same dimensions as the M1 Garand, and it came with a Redfield receiver sight. I liked the heft of it, and figure it is probably quite a shooter.

There, I've about exhausted my meager knowledge of the H&R Leatherneck 22 rifle. :)

Anyone here ever own or use one?

Guy

IIRC, it was also used as a training tool for he Riesing sub machine gun. H&R later sold the guns after the war. Check out the Riesing SMG and compare the look with the H&R. IIRC, H&R also made the Riesing SMGs.
Paul B.

Back