25 WSSM

buckgitter

Beginner
Jun 30, 2011
Hello all, I am going to start reloading for my 25 wssm..any info you have will be greatly appreciated. I plan on using the 110 gr accubonds.

Buckgitter,

Welcome to the forum. This should have been posted in the Reloading section, however. I suspect that many of the fellows have missed it because of being posted to "Information & Help." It looks as if the Moderators have already corrected the problem.

I haven't worked with this particular cartridge, though I have some limited experience with the 223 WSSM and the 243 WSSM. It was an interesting cartridge that seems to have failed to capture the imagination. Still, it can be a very effective cartridge for deer and caribou.

If you can get the Accubonds to shoot (I've found rifles either love them or hate them...) I suspect you'll be well served on anything I'd use a quarter bore for here in NA. It should be flat like Kansas, too. I've wanted to try out the little SS 25 for a while, but just never found the right rifle. Almost bought a Coyote Lite a couple of years ago but the shop was too proud of it, so I didn't get it. Keep us posted on how it's going.

try a max load of varget or IMR 4350, the 115 BT's also do a wonderful job on whitetails, I can't tell a difference in the exit wounds from either bullet.
RR

IIRC Hornady's Superperformance powder is a great match for that cartridge.

I have a 257 AI which has nearly an identical case capacity and it loves IMR4350.

Here is the nosler info:

http://www.nosler.com/Reloading-Data/25 ... rains.aspx

Check out the Hodgdon web site to see what they have to say in the load data section. I suspect you can get the specifics you're looking for there.

Couldnt bring myself to jump for a WSSM. Probly should have as I like the unique 25's. Just seemed to me it didnt gain enough over a 25-06 to make it worth it. Prove me wrong. My little 250 Sav likes IMR4350 and 4064. CL

Thanks for the replies folks...I will keep you posted once I find time to play with it...any more suggestions are appreciated!

Chris, do you have any pictures of that 25WSSM? I was always kinda intrigued with the WSSM's, but being they are rare in M70's now, they are hard to find. I think RR gave you some good advice and since another member that goes by Powerstroke has used that 115gr BT on elk, I would think it would be an excellent match for deer in your area. Plus a little less costly than AB's. Either way, I think you will find the medium burn powders like Varget and 4350's being right in the sweet spot.

Does Nosler or Sierra have a most accurate powder/load for the cartridge? I would look in their data and see what they are listing. Great place to start. Good luck, can't wait to see your load work. Scotty

Of the WSSMs, the 25 was the one I would have considered. Unfortunately, they didn't survive very long. One of my hunting buddies had one for a couple of months before trading it off for another rifle. The 243 WSSM and the 223 WSSM had limited utility in this area, and quickly gained a reputation for rapid erosion the throats. Fascinatingly enough, I never loaded for the 25 WSSM, though I did load for the 243 WSSM and the 223 WSSM. There must be a story in there somewhere.

beretzs":1gqvfz4o said:
Chris, do you have any pictures of that 25WSSM? I was always kinda intrigued with the WSSM's, but being they are rare in M70's now, they are hard to find. I think RR gave you some good advice and since another member that goes by Powerstroke has used that 115gr BT on elk, I would think it would be an excellent match for deer in your area. Plus a little less costly than AB's. Either way, I think you will find the medium burn powders like Varget and 4350's being right in the sweet spot.

Does Nosler or Sierra have a most accurate powder/load for the cartridge? I would look in their data and see what they are listing. Great place to start. Good luck, can't wait to see your load work. Scotty

Scotty I do have some pics that I will post..just don't have them available right now...I have seen quiet a few on Gun broker if you have deep pockets...LOL The Winchesters are more available than the Brownings it seems...but they are also higher for the most part..I really like the AccuBond and have used the BT's in the past ...I may try them both...although if it ain't broke why try to fix it?LOL My original plan is to start with published data from Nosler using 4350...

If you like the AB's, then heck they are the confidence you need then! I really need to get a 257 caliber rifle again. They are so light on the recoil department and pretty fast they are some fun rifles to shoot. I am looking forward to seeing how your Browning shoots. Scotty

beretzs":3d9cxzfr said:
If you like the AB's, then heck they are the confidence you need then! I really need to get a 257 caliber rifle again. They are so light on the recoil department and pretty fast they are some fun rifles to shoot. I am looking forward to seeing how your Browning shoots. Scotty

Its shooting under an inch with factory now....It is a sweet little rifle...I bought it for my kid...that was my excuse anyway.. :wink:

my 25 wssm, has put the 115 BT's into 3/8's" if I do my part, thats loaded with enough IMR 4350 to run them 3000 fps from the 22" fluted SUM oly barrel
05buck.jpg

you do have to keep the COL to max mag length though
RR

buckgitter":y4ulza4y said:
Its shooting under an inch with factory now....It is a sweet little rifle...I bought it for my kid...that was my excuse anyway.. :wink:

Sounds like it is doing well.

Man, if all these rifles are bought for our kids, they are going to be some well outfitted young'uns! Scotty

Man, if all these rifles are bought for our kids, they are going to be some well outfitted young'uns!

So, there is hope for the next generation.

Back