Grizzly. Alaska. Sept 2017.

Guy the soul searching is normal at our age......... same here for me, one of the last bears I guided for , was a nice nearly 9fter, that had been fishing one of our" Secret" rivers down on the pennisula. He and I had been seeing each other everyday all thru Silver season in Sept............ often within 75ft of each other....... he was a younger male but big for his age , Anyway it was open down there that fall, So the boss says to me ,take old so n so down, and let him shoot that fish bear ,thats been hanging around there all fall, I didnt like the hunter , and I did like the bear.
Anyway I am sure I know exactly how a prostitute feels now, as that hunt really changed me, of course when I took the hunter down in the plane he raved about how tough he was most of the flight, But that nite he woke me up in the tent everytime the wind made a spruce limb brushed the tent........... And of course the next morning, as we approached the spot, the bear liked to fish,he paid no attention to us , he knew my smell, and trusted me and actually kept on fishing, the hunter who was a total coward, and real jackwagon to be with, was literally petrified of the bear, we walked right up to him , but I was almost having to push him along........... I told him to calm down that I was right there but he was shaking really badly.......
At 50yds I told him to take him,(with a fair amount of guilt) and after about the same lenght of time as the dude in the movie, he fired his 300 Mag and hit this beautiful bear right dead center in the guts................and to my amazment. It knocked him down , so of corse I am now repeating, crank one in !! ,crank one in !!............... the bear is twisting and going into convulsions, spinning around, And then of course the hunter, locks up: with the gun out in front of him,bolt closed, still unloaded, and is staring at the bear and totally horrified and mesmerized!! I knew the bear would bolt for the Alders about 30yds from the stream, so as he got his pins under him, and stared for the alders; I had to shoot ,as the hunter just couldnt, Or risk the "Alder Recovery" which I was not looking forward to.....
Anyway, short version,,,,,,, I was able to drive a 270 BBC from my 375 Sako, right down thru the end of his spine ,up into the bottom of his chest........as he was going up over the bank, knocking him flat, but still alive. :| Of course by now ,the "rich kid dude" is getting braver, as he can now sense the bear is hurt badly now, So I am again coaching him to shoot, shoot ,as its always better if they actually kill the bear......... So he fired the other two , that he was missing wildly, So I had him reload, and he fired two more before he ever hit it!!! In the butt as the bear expired......... The distance was 65/70yds............... I was sickened by the whole hunt. He never stoped talking the whole time he watched me skinning the bear, I never spoke I was so upset with myself,As we flew home in the Super Cub after I skun him out, he was crowing in the headphones, about how he hammered him with his Magnum......(spare me)
All I could think about was my old buddy in the baggage compartment. Not only did I let him down I let myself down by ever taking such a douche down there and shooting that bear. Of course we shot some nice bears since, and have guided some wonderful folks over the years, That were certainly deserving of a brown bear. That guy wasnt, and I will never forgot that bear hunt.....

Earle, great story, thank you. Enjoy reading your stories

I was in a similar position once but I refused to take the jack wagon and lost my job. I would obviously make a lousy prostitute

Great story .35 Whelen.

I like bear hunting, sometimes tough to drop the hammer on one. I figure they are sort of like dogs- very easy animals to anthropomorphize. I hiked half a day once on a griz and when I closed the distance he was rolling around and sliding down a hill.... just playing. I couldn't shoot him but had a ball watching him.

I also had one come barreling in huffing and puffing that was 20 yards from getting his lights turned out....not a good time.

I've also had to poke around in the alders looking for one- definitely not a good time at all.

I like Mike's comment on the meat Guy and I think I would try some of him. I have eaten on a few black bears and I really enjoy the meat off them. Had a friend smoke about a 25 pound bear roast one time and had a bunch of us over and it was incredible! Some of the best meat I have ever had.

Guy it sure sounds like you are doing everything right and having met you, I know I would walk beside you into any situation without hesitation.

This is a once in a lifetime venture and I think you are going to enjoy the heck out of yourself. It may be that you end up sneaking in on a beautiful old bear and after looking him over you decide not to shoot. No shame in that, and would it be a waste of money. Absolutely not. Incredible experience I would say.

You MUST take lots of photographs on this trip or else! What good is this forum without pictures! :p 35 Whelen awesome stories! Love them.

David

Guys, thanks for all the great advice, and good stories.

Regards, Guy

Fourtyonesix":34cxawbk said:
Guy Miner":34cxawbk said:
Plans are... evolving... For the better.

Am shifting area of operations, and getting more tags. :)

More later.

Guy

how have the plans evolved?

Hello, welcome to the forum.

So far, just thinking the whole thing through some more. Have quite a few trips to Alaska behind me now, and am thinking about where I might want to go, and maybe adding some tags beyond bear.

It's a big hunt for me. And I want to do what I can to make it a happy trip, a success. That doesn't necessarily mean even taking game, but I'd sure like to see some! I think that's another reason I was actually giving thought, serious thought to making it a backpacking/rafting trip to see some country and leave the rifles at home, "bagging" my game with the camera.

Not like I haven't backpacked up there before. Granted, I was a fair bit younger. :grin:

I suspect I've got plenty of time to refine the trip in my mind yet.

Regards, Guy

Fourtyonesix":3sslhodu said:
Guy Miner":3sslhodu said:
Plans are... evolving... For the better.

Am shifting area of operations, and getting more tags. :)

More later.

Guy

how have the plans evolved?

Welcome aboard, Fourtyonesix. Always pleased to make the acquaintance of new people posting. Do you live in Alaska? From your post, it would appear that you have some familiarity. Again, welcome aboard.

Guy there is not much more I can say. You got this man you are in great shape & doing all the right things to be very successful. I have already seen your photography skills so I know your stories & photos will bring us right there with you.
All the people here are giving the right advice & encouragement so success is inevitable (y).

Blessings,
Dan

YH,
ROTFLMAO......... :lol: ..... Now thats funny right there...... besides you dont fit the "hoe" profile. To be perfectly honest I should have done in hindsite, just what you did, and told him to take him down there himself, of course he couldnt stomach him either......

Great story E. Pretty damned cool.

H, that's a great story as well. I have the utmost respect for those bears.. Awesome animals that wander their AO without too much fear of anything. Plus, their attitude is just something else.

My name is jake, I do live in Alaska. I am the guide that guy had booked with. The hunt this thread is about has since been cancelled. I do not know which direction mr miner is pursuing at this time.

Ah, no sweat Jake.

Am still trying to figure out what I'm going to do. Somehow it involves Alaska and being out in the boonies.

Regards, Guy

Back