Grizzly. Alaska. Sept 2017.

So Guy what pack and knife are you going to take with you? How about boots and binoculars also. Curious as to how you are outfitting yourself because this feels like our hunt also gosh darn it! :grin:

David

Piranta is a great knife, always sharp! I'm sure jake will do most of the skinning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is...

I'm kind of hoping for a 30 yard shot, but I'll take a longer poke if necessary. Just hope I get the opportunity to even take a shot.

Guy

Guy Miner":3cbdpqfn said:
Plans are... evolving... For the better.

Am shifting area of operations, and getting more tags. :)

More later.

Guy

What more tags are you looking into? Going to switch to a combo hunt? It would be nice to piggy back a sheep or goat into your mountain griz hunt. If you add a moose your definitely going to want to drive. Also I know a local butcher that does quick work at a good price. Makes killer jalepeno moose dogs too [emoji6]

That is pretty much how most of the bear hunts always end up............ lots of shooting. He is hit poorly by most of it,
1st shot was a typical deer hunters behind the shoulder BS shot that always leads into this sorta finnish.The last shot, finally Must have been a good one, this is a good example of how tough they are , and great example, of how ineffective poorly placed shots are..............hunter looks happy and thats what counts! I would have to say the guide is pretty "enthusiastic" with his shooting, and absolutely cracks me up when he asks the client for HIS gun!!! After he has drained his! Maybe nowadays this is normal, in the old days some clients would have suggested maybe the guide should tag the bear as well ???......... they were never in any danger until the very end, when the bear got close enough to have concerned the guide. The client did what 70% of them always do, he took forever to shoot, and then froze up and doesnt seam to want to fire?? Meanwhile the guide is displaying rapid fire technique only surpassed by old "whispering smith" himself! Lol
Direct contrast to the Guy Eastman video posted above! Where he is presented a much tougher shot , makes a desision and quickly gets his shot off at three times the distance in 10% of the time! But the biggest difference is Guy knows where to hit em! And CAN, He folded that bear up like a cheap suit.............very professionally done!
Rest assured he would do exactly the same thing to the bear on the beach......... simple as that ; not the gun but the man behind it! Still fun to watch both videos.

I wasn't too impressed with the shooting either but the scenario was pretty ideal, easy stalk on a beach at an unsuspecting bear. Seemed to me all of their shots were too far back.

I have a buddy who guides moose and bear hunters, he says quite often guys freeze up and good shot opportunities are wasted. They also tend to admire the shot too much, once you shoot, keep shooting until they stop moving.

I have seen a couple one shot stops on Browns, my buddy shot his two years ago at the neck shoulder junction down thru the lungs, straightened out and never moved again. Make a good first shot and you'll be fine, wound one and get him all riled up and they can soak up a lot of lead.

The most dangerous thing I ever hunted were Gemsbuck...and then only if you had to follow up a wounded one. Its easy to wound them as their vitals are in the lower 1/3 of the chest and quite forward. They have been known to kill lions so those long sharp horns are scary. I always told my friend ( the Afrikaner licensed guide/lay minister) to NOT shoot anything unless I had shot first, and them only to make sure it got anchored and not run off. My first one was wounded by another gemsbuck while fighting and the owner of the farm asked me to finish it off. I walked up on it in some thick stuff, about 15yds it stood up and I popped it with one shot from my 35 Whelen Imp and the 250X. The second one, my friend wanted me to use his 300 winmag and 165XBT on a big cow in Namibia, well, he had all his triggers set up to match the old R1 (FAL copy) of around 8#!he carried in Angola and I muffed the shot, hit her too far back. We jumped her around 30yds but thankfully she ran the other way! I missed her ( Mod 700 Classic 300winmag/180XBT) but my friend hit her in the back of the headI think those situations need to be discussed frankly with the guide "before" the fecal matter hits the rotating cooling device, as they say, ha.

Interesting video. My son and I just watched it. His comment "Terrible shooting" followed by "Mom shouldn't see this."

Regards, Guy

I am onboard with Mike, just your demeanor on here suggests to me your doing all the right stuff, and I don't think you are a freeze up candidate at all!
Bear 78.......you pegged it!

BTW guys - I ALMOST turned this into a hiking, rafting, fishing trip with a lot of time set aside to do some wildlife watching and photography.

I enjoy that just as much as hunting anymore - and I have to admit - I feel a little odd about hunting the grizzly. Why am I doing it? Am I going to eat the bear? No. Is the bear any threat to me or mine? No. So.. it's really just for the experience of hunting the grizzly - a large and powerful predator. I like that. But... Normally when I kill something, I eat it, or make use of the hide, or it's to eliminate some coyotes or some other reason. I have to admit, I have done some soul-searching about why I want to hunt the grizzly.

Regards, Guy

Consequently, Guy, if the grizzly has been dining primarily in mountain meadows (roots, grasses and berries) the meat isn't terribly different from that of black bear. It is somewhat more coarse, but the flavor is very similar. Just an aside. A few roasts might be worth bringing back. Just saying.

35 wheeler and bear 78, you gentlemen are spot on with you comments. I have witnessed the same thing, again, and again, and again

preacher, for me it has been the grolar followed by the polar. we have not had to many bad encounters with the brownies when hunting them, but we have argued with them in regards to territorial rights when fishing a time or two. I hope Jamila see's this thread. I think she will say hunting a wounded leopard, I know she hates doing that.

Guy, the chances of you freezing up is NIL! I would rather face down a white bear than a drugged up man with a gun. You will do just fine. Guy your trip will be so much fun, I am so excited for you! If you decide to use your bear and wolf skin for a parka, Gil and I ( and possibly Dr Mike ) could do that for you.

Guy, "the planning" of the trip is also a ton of fun, so the hunt starts now!

Never gone into the bush to flush a wounded leopard, but I have gone into the bush on a few occasions to flush a wounded grizzly and/or black bear. Don't know that either situation is really all that desirable, Cheyenne. Consequently, my sewing leaves a lot to be desired. Despite what Gil says, he has had to gain a lot of experience in sewing to cover over all the ventilation he introduces to his game. :mrgreen:

Guy-
Like anything else if your prepared for it "training" will kick in and you will react. Sounds like your definitely trained up.

My first charge experience with a brown bear I was walking back to the truck after a long "suicide run" fishing trip. Was very tired and slogging back with 60+ pounds of red salmon. I wasn't really paying attention and bumped into a sow with cub. She did a bluff charge combined with some huffing and teeth popping, stopped short about 20 feet away. I froze up. I was so shocked I never even got my pistol out. If she had been serious it would have been all over.

Years later I had my second charge, This time while coming out from bear baiting. It was darkish in heavy timber on a hillside but I was alert and ready. It was a predatory charge but not a huge bear. I heard him breaking thru the brush before I saw him, due to the echo I couldn't really tell where he was coming from until he broke cover about 40 feet to my right. I can still picture it clear as day, watching him hard charge, head down dirt flying up behind him giving me that look a jack Russell terrier gives a tennis ball. I was cool as a cucumber and remember thinking "I'm gonna have to shoot this bear!" Luckily between my manly yell, really glad no one was around to hear it, and my weapon light it confused the bear and paused and we just stared at each other for a second. I remember thinking "do I risk a warning shot? Will I have time to rechamber this close? I sent a round from my 375 RUM into the rocks by his head, he spun around and ran back into the brush. It wasn't until I couldn't hear him any more that I got that "holy shit" feeling and got shaky.

Two very different reactions. With your history and training I'm sure you will do fine.

As to shooting I usually like to take a shoulder depending on angle, either shooting for a shot to go thru the front shoulder, or far shoulder, and still hit the vitals. To quote a favorite MMA fighter "timing beats speed, and precision trumps power". I always thought that fitting in hunting too.

Back