Grizzly. Alaska. Sept 2017.

I second or third the drive idea if you have the time. My first trip on the Alcan was 1960, the road is much better now. Give yourself five or six days, your camera and your 5 wt. be an awesome trip.
I don't know the regulations in your area, out in Bristol bay the limit on wolfs is five per day. I'll bet you can add a wolf pretty easy.

salmonchaser":1ij93meo said:
I second or third the drive idea if you have the time. My first trip on the Alcan was 1960, the road is much better now. Give yourself five or six days, your camera and your 5 wt. be an awesome trip.
I don't know the regulations in your area, out in Bristol bay the limit on wolfs is five per day. I'll bet you can add a wolf pretty easy.

Five wolves! (y)

gerry":1l8ts64w said:
Congratulations Guy you will have a wonderful time I'm sure. Of course being in top physical condition will make it much more enjoyable for you but you are a workout machine :)

Mountain grizzlies aren't that big on average but are full of attitude and have beautiful colors compared to coastal bears so I hope you find a beauty. The reason I bring up size is you won't need a really heavy bullet in that 375 for an animal that might weigh around 400-500 pounds. Of course they can get bigger too but to me for a mountain grizzly a 250-270 gr bullet in that 375 would be just perfect. It would shoot a bit flatter and handle the wind a bit better in case you end up shooting your bear at 200-250 yards. Anyway those are my thoughts on the matter from someone that also loves to hunt bears.

You will have a blast :)

I agree with Gerry, but if the 300 shoots well, that is o.k. too.

I also would definitely add moose and wolf to your hunt. If I understand correctly this is a once in a lifetime hunt, you are healthy, retired, have a business doing well enough to send you Grizzly hunting, I am sure that you can save enough just from that business in the next year and one half to cover the
moose and wolf addition. And yes do something with the skins and moose head/antlers.

Guy, you have worked all your life, your still working a retirement business, it is your turn, just do it and do it in spades and you will never regret it.

I am so happy for you, this is wonderful news, congratulations

yukon huntress":iuf3pp1r said:
gerry":iuf3pp1r said:
Congratulations Guy you will have a wonderful time I'm sure. Of course being in top physical condition will make it much more enjoyable for you but you are a workout machine :)

Mountain grizzlies aren't that big on average but are full of attitude and have beautiful colors compared to coastal bears so I hope you find a beauty. The reason I bring up size is you won't need a really heavy bullet in that 375 for an animal that might weigh around 400-500 pounds. Of course they can get bigger too but to me for a mountain grizzly a 250-270 gr bullet in that 375 would be just perfect. It would shoot a bit flatter and handle the wind a bit better in case you end up shooting your bear at 200-250 yards. Anyway those are my thoughts on the matter from someone that also loves to hunt bears.

You will have a blast :)

I agree with Gerry, but if the 300 shoots well, that is o.k. too.

I also would definitely add moose and wolf to your hunt. If I understand correctly this is a once in a lifetime hunt, you are healthy, retired, have a business doing well enough to send you Grizzly hunting, I am sure that you can save enough just from that business in the next year and one half to cover the
moose and wolf addition. And yes do something with the skins and moose head/antlers.

Guy, you have worked all your life, your still working a retirement business, it is your turn, just do it and do it in spades and you will never regret it.

I am so happy for you, this is wonderful news, congratulations

Well, thank you! :)

Guy, you may have to rent a bus so that we can all be picked up and travel together on this once in a lifetime hunt :wink:.
I know that it would be a absolute hoot to hunt from a tent in Grizzly country. You having that Ruger 375 H & H would give some comfort.

Blessings,
Dan

Guy,
I was given a heads up about this thread and wanted to extend my congratulations as well. As has been said, this would be the time to take a nice moose trophy and perhaps snag a wolf or two as well. Your travel costs are the same whether you take one trophy or two and you should get a discount if you hunt both, or all three on the same trip . As to the drive up, it is spectacular. However so is the Alaska landscape and if the outfitter has a cabin you are staying in close to or on a river or lake the fishing is also spectacular. I would be inclined to add the extra days that it takes to drive up and spend those extra days in Alaska fishing and hunting. Just a different thought for you to consider.

With your permission Guy, I would like to give a shout out to Dr Mike here on your thread.

Dr Mike,

I hope you knees are improving daily and that you are back in the mountains hunting and fishing. I also want to thank you for the kindness both on the open forum and outside the forum to my daughter and Cheyenne. I was sorry to hear that you would not be joining them on their canoe trip. Cheyenne catches a lot of flack because she is young and female, but trust me that girl knows her way around a mountain or river. As to my daughter thank you for being patient with her, she can be very stubborn, much like her father.

Best of luck on your hunt Guy

A

Man, that is awesome stuff Guy. Sounds like an adventure is forming buddy! Man, I'm so darned excited for you.

Oh, and I'll say it again, that is one beautiful 375!

I wish you the Best and if was me I would buy all the tags I could get. You just never know when you will get the chance again. Have a Great Time !

Wolf? I dunno. If I can legally take one and one shows up, sure. No problem.

Guy

Hope you can beat the odds and draw a moose tag. Are there any goats there? I know you have had an interest in hunting them before.

Congrats Guy on the hunt of a lifetime. I moose hunted up there in 2013 and the scenery was breath taking. We hunted 40-50 air miles west of talkeetna. Flew past Denali, and saw lots of game. My only complaint about the whole trip was the weather. We were grounded for two days before our hunt began. We just barely did get out of talkeetna to hunt and it rained every day we were in the bush. The weather finally cleared up the day before we flew back out. We were DIY moose hunting without the luxury of a wall tent. I would have given just about anything to have had a wall tent so we could have dried out our clothes and gear every night. As it was once we were wet we stayed wet for 8 days. I'll dig up a few pictures later and send them to ya. Congrats again! I hope to one day return to that area for another hunt.

Biggest thing in September is RAIN GEAR, and I would look to weatherproofing your rifle. Make sure that stock is sealed well even on the inside, bedded, and get waterproof scope covers, and something to protect the metal. Tent hunts normally turn into get wet stay wet situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merino wool is really nice stuff in cold wet weather, we love ours.

I hope you get good weather but seriously sometimes a wetsuit and scuba tank would be nice!
[emoji6]

Having spent a bit of time up the Talkeetna River in my buddys lovely log cabin, with plenty of dry wood. I can tell you it can be ugly up there, make darn sure your ready for it.......... if the plan is a fly camp drop off at Clear Ck? Then you will want the very best gear money can buy!

35 Whelen":wyr4qebz said:
Having spent a bit of time up the Talkeetna River in my buddys lovely log cabin, with plenty of dry wood. I can tell you it can be ugly up there, make darn sure your ready for it.......... if the plan is a fly camp drop off at Clear Ck? Then you will want the very best gear money can buy!

Guy,

I have a yellow rain slicker that I'm not using anymore.
The police took it away from me the last time I was arrested at the bus stop. You are welcome to it.

Vince

Sorry Guy, I thought you had a 375 H & H in a #1 Ruger. That Model 70 is one sweet looking rifle & I am sure it is going to serve you well in Alaska.

Blessings,
Dan

Back