Grizzly. Alaska. Sept 2017.

Guy

I contacted Brooke ( alaska100 ) last night and she said he is probably or could be hunting 13 or 14. If it is 13 you can hunt 10 wolves per day, but if it is 14 only 5. You are almost 100 % sure of getting your bear as they are thick as fleas on a dogs back in that area. Sheep and Goat has been mentioned, but she felt that would literally have to be a separate hunt from the bear hunt, but yes they are both in those units. She also felt that if you wanted to hunt either Caribou or Moose, your odds of getting a permit would be pretty good and you will see both in those areas while hunting the brown bear and therefore you should be able to get either or both after your bear hunt, if you so desire. Sorry to jump back into the thread but wanted to share what I found out with you

"A" also made a good suggestion about staying longer to fish and/or hunt instead of driving. You and your wife could make the "drive" a separate trip someday with your camera, and visit Mike and Gerry perhaps as well

Very excited for you Guy, and now it is one day sooner that you leave than it was yesterday (-:

sask boy":1k2syvi1 said:
Sorry Guy, I thought you had a 375 H & H in a #1 Ruger. That Model 70 is one sweet looking rifle & I am sure it is going to serve you well in Alaska.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, I do have a .375 Ruger Number One... Complete lunacy for a mule deer hunter like me to have TWO .375's! :mrgreen:

Probably in 13E. No carbou hunting for nonresidents. Lots of bears and I’m betting no where near 20% chance of moose draw. Sheep and goats are also going to be out hard draws and hard hunting. You could hunt over the counter in 14 but lots of hunting pressure and few large bulls. I also would’nt bet on limiting out on wolves. They are incredibly aloof critters, I have only seen a half dozen of them while hunting in the last 15 years!

I think you should fill your brown and black bear tags. There should be plenty of each and Jake is the man when it comes to finding big bears. Unit 13 is a predator managment unit so you can shoot a brown bear all year round.

They also should be nice and fat by september. I’m not sure if your planning on salavaging any of the meat but any large griz is bound to have trichinosis so cook the hell out of it. It probably won’t be edible that time of year and it will smell and taste like dead salmon! There is litterally nothing worse than a fishy bear. You might find a berry bear in areas far from salmon streams, the blackbears are quite good if feeding primarily on berries and fireweed.

Guy, we are zeroing in here (-: Now that we know the unit we can eliminate Caribou. As has been stated a moose tag is not easy, but that never stops me from trying. If you want one, apply, nothing ventured, nothing gained, the Broncos were not suppose to win Super Bowl 50 either. We actually have fairly good success on "dedicated" wolf hunts, but as Thebear-78 states there are pretty aloof critters, but again, if one of them should show themselves to you that 375 H & H will certainly put him down and you will have excellent trim for a cold weather parka (-;

Dr Mike or anyone who knows--if Guy drives, is there a limit on the number of rifles he can have with him when he goes through customs at the Washington/B.C. border ?

It might be easier if he shipped the guns up, that way he could bring a handgun also. Shipping from yourself to yourself isn't difficult and there are a few shops in town that will accept your shipment and hold it until you get here. You don't even have to do a background check as long as it's shipping from you to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe there is a three firearm limit on rifles/shotguns transiting with Guy. Handguns are not permitted. However, they must meet Canada Firearms specifications for transport. You are always well advised to contact CFC @ http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cont/index-eng.htm, or phone @ 800-731-4000.

I'm pretty sure it is 3 also. It's been a few years since I've driven and that might have changed so I would check with Canada before I headed that way. I think the permit was about 50.00 CAD or about .25 USD with the current exchange rate :mrgreen: :lol: . Just playing with our northern friends.

IdahoCTD":jpuqwgi4 said:
I think the permit was about 50.00 CAD or about .25 USD with the current exchange rate :mrgreen: :lol: . Just playing with our northern friends.

Unfortunately, I fear you are near correct, if not a tad over-optimistic. Just paid for books to be added to my computer library and an order from Sgt Grit. Ouch! :evil:

Guy,

this just came my way so I will share it with you and I then bow out and leave you alone

Brooke's family have used the ferry ( Wash/Alaska ) and they just left their guns in the trunk, no problem. The problem is it takes 5 days--both ways, of course driving up also takes a few days. I think I would fly up and spend those extra days hunting and fishing.

the bear-78 has a good idea about shipping your guns to yourself and your guide would know exactly who you should send them to in Alaska

She also said you might consider taking a shotgun if you plan on spending extra time there as Sept will let you hunt Ptarmigan, Grouse, Ducks, Geese in unit thirteen.

All the meat can be shipped to you but she does not recommend that you mess with the meat from the grizzly, but for sure take the moose meat home if you get one.

Take the hides and heads back to washington as on average it will be cheaper for you to have done, whatever you want done, in the lower 48 and the cost to ship them down is basically the same---but do have enough money in your budget to have something done with them, as they will always remind of this wonderful trip

or send the skin of the bear and the wolf to me and I will make a parka for your wife or send it to Gil, as Dr Mike said he can also sew---just a thought (-:

Yeah, the way Gil perforates hides, he has had to become quite adept at sewing. :mrgreen:

If you take the ferry to Haines you still have a short bit of travel thru Canada, I would surely not risk sneaking guns thru.

Taking the big ship (TOTE) is almost as Spendy as driving and you would miss out on some amazing scenery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only hunted in Alaska once and if given the opportunity to do it again I will drive. We flew last time. The biggest hassle was wondering if we would be flown out of the bush on time to catch our commercial flight home. We allowed for two days between our bush flight out and our commercial flight home and prayed we wouldn't be stranded in the bush. A group that hunted before us spent 8 unplanned days after the hunt stranded because of weather.

Ya, I've had some interesting time, waiting on planes & weather on my fly-fishing trips there as well.

I'd really rather the pilots waited until they were comfortable flying, instead of risking it all in the face of adverse weather. Honestly, a couple of days here or there isn't a big deal in the great scheme of things.

Flying into a mountainside? Now that's a big deal.

If the pilot doesn't think it's safe to fly, I'd just as soon we didn't fly!

Guy

You will live a long life with that attitude Guy, you would not belive how many times in my life on change out days, clients would come to me , even though it was so foggy you couldnt see the airplane and ask? Are we going to be able to get out today?, I really need to because I have a Super Saver ticket??? ?......................... :roll:

Guy , I'm late to the party!! Defintly wishing you the best of luck , this will no doubt be a dream hunt . I would also talk to your outfitter about the extra moose tag , if your 1on1 and the only guy( or Guy,lol.) in camp it would only make sense to him . See if he will charge you for the tags and a small booking fee, with the rest only paid if you shoot a moose. This may be an option, and you would not feel pressured to rush the hunt for a Grizz , just to tag out on moose .
With Grizz as your priority take the time and enjoy the hunt .
If you decide to drive there will be some paper work for transporting your firearm thru Canada, start this process early you know how bureaucrats operate, at the same time when ( not if ) your successful there will be paper work on the return route for meat and or hide/ antlers. Be sure all is in order .
I honestly can't wait for some of your great pics from this hunt..

Plans are... evolving... For the better.

Am shifting area of operations, and getting more tags. :)

More later.

Guy

I too would advise to get all the tags, take all the game you can when on a special hunt. I have stretched myself on Exotic hunts in Texas, and my hunts in S.Africa/Namibia and I was so glad I did! I'll never be able to do that again, in that way, and I have many wonderful memories and experiences. Now, after you get that hard hunt done....you can do the African hunt and hunt a little easier! ha

Back