Grizzly Bear with .30-06

Isn't it interesting that on the ad listing cartridges for Brown Bear that Winchester has included 150 grain 270, 180 grain 300 Savage and 180 grain 30-06? Today, we are certain that these are all insufficient to tackle such bruins! Guess they didn't know any better back in the 50s.

Love these older ads fellas.
It almost makes me want to get a 30-06 and load up some 220 gr SPCL's.

JD338

JD338":1iyf9uo7 said:

JD338

Same here Jim... I believe I need one of those 30-06's.. The time is near! Ha

SJB358":1gmv3cn6 said:
JD338":1gmv3cn6 said:

JD338

Man, never thought I'd see the day. I'm doing a screen capture just so there won't be any changing of the mind. Can't let this lad slip now! :mrgreen:

DrMike":237gdmfy said:
SJB358":237gdmfy said:
JD338":237gdmfy said:

JD338

Man, never thought I'd see the day. I'm doing a screen capture just so there won't be any changing of the mind. Can't let this lad slip now! :mrgreen:

I bet it's in a Model 70 Dr. Mike!!! Worst case scenario would be Scotty buying one of the Montana Rifle Company gems that is the best of both the Model 70 & the Mauser 98.

Oh, yeah, it will undoubtedly be a Model 70. Trust it is as good as the one I picked up in '08!

DrMike":3kzug5hr said:
Oh, yeah, it will undoubtedly be a Model 70. Trust it is as good as the one I picked up in '08!

Speaking of which:

It is the rifle to the left of the others. It'll do.

Well Mike(that middle gun has outradious wood on it)
The one that cracks me up ,is everyone always accepted the 300 H&H as a great bear caliber? And todays world Hornady Super Performance 30/06 ammo ,is pretty much the same numbers ,as the factory 300 H&H stuff was years ago?
I have said this before , I would rather carry a nice little well balanced 06, then try to sack a big heavy 10lb magnum gun around trying to pull A 26" barrel, thru tight alders and devils club. But thats just me. After owning a 7mm Rem mag for 5 years and replacing it with a 300WM and shot quite a bit of game with both, they are both fine calibers, but for me just getting 50 yds closer you had the same thing with 06/ or a 270, that was shorter , lighter, more balanced outfit that would do anything I ever needed to do.................... for back up on wounded bears and moose of course I used the 375 and later on the .338. But that is really quite a different application than just hunting for yourself.

Earle, the centre rifle is my 270 WSM and the one on the right is my 300 WSM. I picked these three up in 2008 when FN first began to manufacture the Model 70 again.

Earle - If I didn't own such a terrific .375, I'd be hunting with the .30-06 for sure...

And, that hunt is a year and a half away. Ya never know. I might just take the .30-06 instead... I have no doubt about the .30-06 being quite capable of doing a fine job on big bear.

Thinking I'd use a 180, 200 or 220 grain Nosler Partition.

Guy

Guy, has the M70 375 shown itself to be a pretty good shooter with the loads you run through the #1?

Seems like most with a 375 never complain much about accuracy with them.

And Mike which scope is on your 270WSM. Looks like the same as what's on my 338.

Gosh those are handsome guns Mike, really sharp looking rifles! My old .338 SuperGrade had wood almost as good as that middle gun! I sold it to a kid who was guiding for us here in Maine and he shiped it out and had a muzzle brake cut into the
Last 3" of the barrel, that of course made it screach so bad ,you couldnt shoot it without ear muffs ever again! Then he swaped
It away for something a nd the fella that bought it ,had a few toooooo many, and took it out to his vise and hacksawed 4 1/2"
Off the barrel to get rid of the brake! :x
OMG
Guy,
As well as you can shoot your 25/06, I really dont think it will make ANY difference what caliber you take bear hunting,
I am putting my money on there being one well placed shot and one dead bear! It wont be the gun, it will be all about the Guy,
Pulling the trigger! :grin:

Scotty,

The 270WSM has a Swarovski Z6 2.5-10X42. Love that scope.

Earle,

What you describe on that Supergrade is almost criminal!

SJB358":1e58ab7e said:
Guy, has the M70 375 shown itself to be a pretty good shooter with the loads you run through the #1?

Seems like most with a 375 never complain much about accuracy with them.

I'm going to give it a more serious workout soon, when I transplant the 1.5-5x onto it.

So far, it shoots fine, but that's been real casual.

I'm kind of impressed - for all intents the sights are "fixed" just like on a combat pistol, and are not particularly "fine" they're big, bold and appear most useful for large creatures at modest range.

And, they seem to be perfectly regulated for 300 gr bullets at 100 yards.

But I don't shoot "U" notch sights all that well. Prefer an aperture sight. These seem excellent at 100 yards and less. I haven't even shot any serious groups. Just load the magazine, blast the steel silhouette. No problem.

So, I'll scope it... And do some more accuracy testing.

We will see. It's got a Douglas barrel and was put together by a well-respected maker of big and dangerous game rifles. I suspect it will be a shooter.

Regards, Guy

1100 Remington Man":qv4lcnbk said:
Would you question it a 30-06 Remington Auto my father has one and it works flawless with factory ammo. I would just buy and test the best Nosler Ammunition or Remington 220gr and test its reliability to function and go hunting.
To be honest I'm surprised more people don't hunt with Auto's these days. I have only bolt actions for my Big Game Rifles but it's because I reload.
I will tell you if I was going Grizz hunting my old 1939 Model 70 300 H&H would be going with a Premium Bullet of 200gr or more why here is a picture of a Hog I shot with a 180gr Nosler Partition at around 30-35yds yds running and I did not get pass through. I was surprised 180gr Partition at 3000fps. It did drop the hog on the spot. I have only shot one Black Bear with my 300 H&H but I would like to another on a spot and stalk hunt. I would love to hunt Grizz but it's out of my price range for now but you never know ?

1100 Remington Man

Love a man that loves and understands the 300 H & H and that if you want all that the grand old girl can give you, one does not hunt with a baby bullet. Hunt with a 200 or 220 grain bullet and if you are a reloader the old girl will shoot faster than the Winchester mag, with less muzzle noise and recoil than the Weatherby, and with lower pressure than either, which is important if your hunting along the equator. Plus, you will be hard pressed to find a smoother chambering round. By now you have guessed I love the 300 H & H whether it is my dad's favorite, a pre 64 model 70 or a Mauser 98 which my mom prefers

Dr Mike, those are three beautiful rifles, just beautiful!

Best Regards

Jamila

Back