Grizzly Bear with .30-06

Very cool. I really like the history behind hunting. Especially those big old bear!

Read the "Brown Bear Men" about two of the originals on Kodiak I think as well. Saw a picture of one of their old, worn slick P64 375's... Couldn't hardly put it down.

That book is about Bill Pinnel and Morris Talifson or we all called em P&T, both worked for Madsen as Apprentice guides as well as Old Ward Gay! The now almost Legendary "Hal Waugh" also worked down on the Brown Bear as a young guide! Most of the stuff Kirk Gay & I did , was the way Ward wanted it done, and no doubt were methods Madsen had exposed Ward to during his time in Kodiak, I can still hear him saying as I would get ready to take a hunter out for bear in the Super Cub, "never less than fifty/ never more than a hundred"............ he knew what he was talking about!
In todays world, of big magnums the young guides are letting clients take shots at bears 2 or 3 times the distance as we used to, most hunts were from deluxe wall tents so when the weather goes sour, and it WILL, you can hunker down and ride it out.
Back then the only time you really did much "fly camp" stuff was with the airplane so you could bail out and head back to the base camp to ride it out....... having slept in tents up to 200 days a year, I can assure you spending a week in a "fly camp" While it is raining sidewise, is something I only do nowadays from a wall tent on a plywood floor, with a woodstove cherry red, and dry my clothes out, with a good book, listening to my ipod.............
s-l1600 (2).jpg

The great 30-06 has killed many bears in Alaska.
But today's list of Cal. their is much better list to pick from.
Back in the 40's and 50's the hey day of the 30-06 here in Alaska......
With the Magnums arriving on the scene......300 thru 416....are much better.
I prefer my 338 Win.........and my 300 Win sometimes seems very small against these huge bear.
My favorite 30-06 has not been hunted with for 20 years sadly :(

Man, you need to email me those E. Wanna save them all in my account. Love those old ads.

SJB358":sr88fh0w said:
Man, you need to email me those E. Wanna save them all in my account. Love those old ads.

I have already printed out that first Peters ad you posted, laminated it and framed it for the wall in my reloading room!!!

They are neat old ads.

Well, to liven the discussion slightly, if a man (such as myself) whose largest rifle was a .30-06 was to move to Alaska, what rifle and caliber should he choose for living in bear country?

The 35 Whelen and .338 Win Mag seem to have a good following...

What say ye?

Dale

Hard to go wrong with a 300 mag, next step up 375.

I could get by with anything 270-375 and do all with it. Bullet construction trumps diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The amount of experience and intelligent contributions on this thread, is amazing. Loving it! (y)

Dale. I'd have to go with my .35 Whelen using the 225 gr. Barnes TSX at 2710 FPS. Me and the .338 Mag. just don't get along. Something about the way it recoils. It just flat out hurts me.
Paul B.

PJ -

I have shot two .338s that weren't too bad, one had a BOSS (Browning A-bolt) and the other was a Weatherby Vanguard, it kicked more like a .300 Mag with factory loads.

I feel like the ubiquitous nature of the .338 Win Mag is the draw there for me. The .35 caliber slug and lower recoil are definite draws of the Whelen.

A lot of the guys I have known in the lower 48 use the 180-210 grain bullets since we don't have much dangerous game to worry about in these parts. That has never made sense to me because the point of going with the .338 or a .35 (versus a 7mm or .300) is the heavier bullets (220 grain+). But then again we don't have much in the PNW that needs a slug heavier than 220 grains.

I have owned two 8mm Rem Mags over the years, they were a good load. Kicked like a mule though.

Dale

Still on the packboard, well fured Grizzly from the Beaver Mts , west of McGrath AK. Shot with a 30/06
220gr bullet, one shot, one dead bear.

Awesome picture E.

Dale, a 338 Win or 35 Whelen are pretty danged similar. Out to 300 or a bit more you'd have a hard time telling them apart. I love both of mine.

Scottys right again, the 35 Whelen is really a .338 in disguise, when handloaded up to its total potential, it is running right with a factory box of 338 Federal standard cartridges or Rem Greenbox Corelokts. With a stout charge of RL15 and a Nosler Partition or Kodiak bullet the old Whelen would easily show a Brown Bear that "what he had feared the most, had now come upon him"

Dale,
Glad you enjoy those old ads! And I am with you on why folks buy a bigger bore gun with a factory twist for say 250grs, then imediately start trying to load very lightweight bullets in them ??? If I wanted to load 180gr bullets in my 35 Whelen , and I dont, I do have the absolute perfect load for it, with a nice high BC to boot , the load has actually got a name , most call it a 30/06. :lol:

Big toothy bears would make me lean to the heavier side of cartridge selection. I'd start with the 338 RUM which is quite manageable with a decent brake. A 250-300gr Partition bullet would be my choice.

If I was specifically hunting big bears in Alaska I'm sure the 375 Ruger would get the nod just for the extra insurance it provides. The 270gr Barnes X bullet has earned an exceptional reputation in Africa and would probably be my first choice even though the Nosler PTs & ABs are great bullets too

This thread has generated quite a bit of interest. I can't really add any more, except to say that I have no hesitation in stalking a mountain grizzly with a 30-06. To put a bear down, it is still necessary to have a good hit in the vitals. A poor hit with a big caliber bullet is still a poor hit, and you may be certain that an agitated bruin would take exception to someone trying to put a hurt on him.

Your right, this is a great thread!!

All I can say is the old 30-06, loaded with modern powders and bullets is the equal of the old 300 Magnum (300 H&H). Probably better ballistically in a lot of cases. Back in those early days I'm sure most folks that were toting the 300 Magnum didn't feel unndergunned with a 180 coming out around 2800. Pretty easy stuff for an 06 these days.

Would you question it a 30-06 Remington Auto my father has one and it works flawless with factory ammo. I would just buy and test the best Nosler Ammunition or Remington 220gr and test its reliability to function and go hunting.
To be honest I'm surprised more people don't hunt with Auto's these days. I have only bolt actions for my Big Game Rifles but it's because I reload.
I will tell you if I was going Grizz hunting my old 1939 Model 70 300 H&H would be going with a Premium Bullet of 200gr or more why here is a picture of a Hog I shot with a 180gr Nosler Partition at around 30-35yds yds running and I did not get pass through. I was surprised 180gr Partition at 3000fps. It did drop the hog on the spot. I have only shot one Black Bear with my 300 H&H but I would like to another on a spot and stalk hunt. I would love to hunt Grizz but it's out of my price range for now but you never know ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 1,256
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,256
A Model 70 300 H&H? That is a sho' 'nuff classic. Looks to be in fine shape.

Ummmmmm that is a beautiful 300 1100RM!!! Gosh darn that's a nice one.

I think you'd be just fine with some 200's and your P64 for just about anything in the world.

35 Whelen":roxkviqb said:

Still on the packboard, well fured Grizzly from the Beaver Mts , west of McGrath AK. Shot with a 30/06
220gr bullet, one shot, one dead bear.
Love this picture and the old adds too! Thanks for sharing. I love looking at all the hunting, fishing, and outdoor photo's. Maybe we should just open a new board index just for "outdoor pictures" or "outdoor stuff". A line or two telling just a bit about the picture. Nothing long or anything. Then we can just scroll down and take a ride on the adventure train!

David

Back