What are we hunting with this season?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Okay, my season started predator calling for bear, with the .30-30 Glenfield on hand. 2.5x scope, zeroed at 100 yards with Federal 170 grain soft point ammo. I don't think I'll be using that particular rifle again this season. Though maybe... after the regular seasons close... out on snowshoes for cougar...

Then I enjoyed a successful spot and stalk bear hunt with the .30-06 Rem 700 CDL, old 2-7x Redfield zeroed at 200 yards with 165 Nosler Ballistic Tips at 2900 fps. That rifle has been pillar bedded and free floated with the trigger adjusted to 3 pounds. A near twin to my much appreciated .25-06 700 CDL:

Am strongly considering doing the rest of my rifle hunting this year (have mule deer, pronghorn and elk tags) with the .30-06 Rem 700 CDL. Probably using the same load I used for the bear hunt.

What the heck are you using this season?

Thanks, Guy

Guy, I started the year off a few months ago with my spring bear hunt in Idaho. I used my Kimber Classic in 300WSM with a 180 AB. Muzzleloader Elk starts October 1st, so the Knight will be coming out. After that I'll be guiding for my daughters more than anything, but on the days I do get to hunt I'm thinking that 7x57 Ruger No1 needs some attention.

Last year because of my shoulder surgery, I used a 7mm mag, although feeling slightly under gunned I did manage to fill both my elk tags. This year my old, old friend the 300 Wm will come back to the front of the line for both elk hunts. With the field tested 180gr PT, in front of 72gr., of H-4350, I will be looking for a bull in Wyoming and a spike in Oregon. Several folks from the forum will be joining me on both hunts.

Guy I'm trying to find a good recipe for the new to me Mashburn. Fire forming cases has slowed the process a bit, but I still have some days I'll be able to go to the range to figure it out. The barrel hasn't been a no-muss no-fuss performer yet, but I haven't even put a 160 Partition through her yet. I have some loaded up, just need to get to the range to try them out!

7 Mashburn on the right

If that fails my 25-06 and 30-06 are both ready to go!

The 25-06

The 30-06 as pictured in Wyoming last fall. We thought we were money this day, but the bull never stepped out.

So far, been just EIC/NRA with the Rock River natl. match. Added a 4x Leupold mark AR per new rules. 24 Varget with a 75 Hornady hpbt and 80 Nosler 24 R15 for 600 yards. Put up respectable scores despite little practice time including my best EIC match score to date. Missed legs by x count.

Hunting will be my usual Mauser 98 thumbhole .280 for anything potentially distant. 145 Speer GS, can't remember the charge but it's a little on the warm side in the M98 strong action.

Tight cover will be the new 6.5x54 MS carbine with either a very old stock Winchester 140 gr SP or a Hornady 160, whichever shoot and feed the best.

depends on the game as the 7wsm with 160 a frame and the 348 with 250 woodleigh are always with me

unless, it is a dedicated sheep or goat hunt, then either the 275 H & H with 160 woodleigh or the 300 H & H with---at the moment he is working on a 160 GSC load, so we will see. In the past the 200 Norh fork worked well

sorry Guy the 30-06 has been put out to pasture

Ran into a bit of a problem with both the 358 Norma Magnum and the 8X68S. Action screws are loosening on the 358 NM and tightening them revealed a bind in the barrel channel. The scope on the 8X68S is at the limit and I don't have time to do more with it. Both are giving me groups of sub-MOA, but unreliable for this hunt. Ergo, I will be carrying my 9.3X64 Brenneke and one of the Model 94 .356 Winchesters on the grizzly hunt. Hope to have both the 358 NM and the 8X68 ready by next month to work for elk and moose (if I don't tag one during the upcoming hunt). The Brenneke is pushing a 250 grain AB at 2750 and the .356 pushes a 250 grain Alaska Bullet Works FN at ~2100 fps for close-up work in thick bush.

Going with an old favorite... my .300WSM with 180ABs in Nosler ammo. I've gotten such good results I just find it hard to justify experimenting. So far we've KO'd a moose at 360yds and tipped over a caribou at 250.

Attachments

• M48.jpg
    M48.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,556
Hodgeman - I'm just a wee bit jealous... :mrgreen:

Great photo!

The old standby, nosler sporter in 300wsm. Its getting pretty worn, but still shoots good when the nut behind the bolt gets his act together. Its got 6 axis so far this year.
russ

I'm taking an old Mannlicher Schonauer in God's caliber (.270) out on a mule deer hunt. It was my dad's go-to rifle on his mule deer hunts so it's time that rifle did so again. It likes longer bullets and will be fed 150 grain PT's.

As of now I have no other rifle hunts on the schedule but, will be bow hunting with a Mathews Drenalin. Last year I switched to a crossbow due to a shoulder issue. This year I'm happy about being able to use a vertical bow again.

No pics of that rifle leaning against a tree or pack..... Hopefully this will do.
DSCN4798.jpg

'Tis a lovely rifle, Charles. What sort of beast is that on which is lies?

Doc,

It's a whitetail from the Texas Hill Country. Not all that great of a buck (by even Hill Country standards) but, typical of whitetails in this area. He has a kicker you can't see in this pic and was busted up a tad, it was December and the rut was over. Caught this guy on a well used trail.

ps. You mentioned a MV of 2750 with your 9.3x64. Funny, I'm running about 2748 in mine using the 250 gr. AB's. Love those by the way. They have gotten me 1.75" @ 300 yards and a nice buck in 2014. Kind of over-gunned for our little whitetails for sure. Of course, it is not all that bad to see the lights go out before they hit the ground. Those big bullets will do that on a whitetail. Hope to get that rifle into action on something more appropriate in the next two years. Working on putting a Colorado elk hunt together for 2018 and that will be my go-to rifle for that one.

chs

For Vermin here in S Central Texas - Mossberg MMR in 5.56 NATO
For deer and hog - Ruger American Rifle and or Savage 99C, in .308 with 165 gr NBT, and Varget
Anything bigger - Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow in .300 WSM, 180 gr Nosler Combined Technology!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Charles,

The only thing I've taken with my Brenneke is a smallish 8 point whitetail. I came out of battery and the beast had disappeared! There was a doe and fawn in the meadow with him. They started at the shot and ran less than twenty yards. Then, they milled around and went back to feeding. I finally had to shoo them away to collect the buck. I am hoping that it will work that well on a grizzly and some larger ungulates this year.

Terrific rifles here guys! Enjoying this, along with my morning coffee.

Our Colorado Elk Hunt didn't work out this year because of an unseen issue coming up for my buddy but we'll be heading to Maine in November for our deer hunt so my Rem 700 Titanium in 7-08 will be getting some use. This rifle is deadly accurate with either 140 grain Sierra Game Kings or Nosler partitions and it is extremely lightweight so still hunting or just plain walking and enjoying the scenery is a pleasure. I'm also taking along the Winchester 94 in .32 Special that I found at a gunshow last year. It should be interesting using the 165 grain Hornady FTX bullets. They are extremely accurate at 100 yards and should work well for deer size game.

I've got my top three. Pretty sure two will go to Wyoming and then one will get left at home while I go to Oregon.

338 (225 Partitions at 2900)

35 Newton (250 Partitions at 2800)

7mm Mashburn Super Mag (175 Partitions at 3000)

Back