What are we hunting with this season?

Guy Miner":viqpvnj6 said:
Scotty - ya kinda like to thump 'em hard? :mrgreen:

I don't hardly know any other way. I know you can take elk with much smaller cartridges but I'll be darned if the bigger ones don't hurt them pretty darned good too!

Scotty,

The 505 Gibbs pushes a 525 gr bullet at, from memory around 2500. Something you might want to pick up and get sighted in for the 2017 hunting season.

Dont hunt anymore but hope to return to the States in October and if I do I will accompany my grandson on a elk hunt, at least I will be in camp. I think he will use the 7 x 57, but not sure.

Brand new 28 nosler... Factory 160gr AccuBond for this fall.. 5.5-22 nxs nf, Hart barrel, stiller action, huber concepts trigger, mcmillan stock and nf rings. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 3266.jpeg
    3266.jpeg
    961.3 KB · Views: 1,422
Europe,

A 505 Gibbs is a tad much here in the States. I admit I'm a glutton for punishment at times, but I like to keep my fillings in my teeth.
I've had a .375 H&H, and it didn't wallop my shoulder like some of the smaller caliber mags I used to own. I sometimes wish I still had it. I would use it for elk, and the big bears, and maybe moose.
But for now, I'm sticking to my .308's, and .300 WSM.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

it is not needed in Africa either. I was just giving my friend Scotty and his love of the bog bores a bad time. On our first trip to Africa I used a 416 Rigby and it was too much for me and all our trips to Africa after that I used a 375 H & H and even then only for the DG animals. For plaims game the 300 H & H worked well, as did a few other calibers. But this was many years ages and today the only thing the 300 H & H is used for is to make WSM calibers ( another shot at a couple of friends here )

Well I'm one of those WSM people :mrgreen: . I built a 300wsm this year and have been practicing out to 950yds with it shooting 215 Bergers at 2950fps. I also built my hunting partner a 300wm shooting the same bullets at the same speed, albeit with 8grs more powder and more recoil then my WSM. These are getting the "Pimp My Ride" treatment. I'll have the bolts back today from getting fluted and then both will get Cerakoted next week. We are going to shoot a bit more with them this weekend before they get stripped to their skives for paint.

I just ordered a edge fill McMillan for my 6.5saum and if I get the barrel turned down a bit lighter I might take it deer hunting. That is if I get enough time to do some long range shooting with it. If not I might take it antelope hunting in November. Another option is the 6.5 Creedmoor waiting for me to finish, the 6.5x68 Imp (the action is going to nitride in about a week though), or the little 6.5x47L my wife and I have been shooting.

Attachments

• 300wmand300wsm.jpg
    300wmand300wsm.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,511
I'll be using my 300 RUM with 180 ballistic tips for bear which is open right now and again in November for antlerless mule deer. I'm loaning my M70 300 win mag to my 83 year old uncle for elk which opens Sept 15. He came out last weekend and shot on paper and steel. He will be shooting 180 grain Barnes TTSX because the rifle shoots them very well. He has killed loads of game but never an elk and I'll be helping him and my cousin for a week.

we are in the time of the year that allows us to hunt Caribou, Moose, Wolf, Black and Brown bear, so I will be using the 300 H & H with a 180 gr North Fork.this year. My great uncle loads them for me.

Hodgeman, don't you love the regulations this year and how they included so many young people in the pictures with the game they have taken. I think it is pretty cool and probably a shock to some , to see so many young people hunting and doing well at it. I would be amiss not to mention how many young girls are hunting in Alaska. Ellis ( 9) and her sister Rylee ( 13 ) each getting a muskox was pretty cool Brooke

jezzolo":2q0nz9h3 said:
Brand new 28 nosler... Factory 160gr AccuBond for this fall.. 5.5-22 nxs nf, Hart barrel, stiller action, huber concepts trigger, mcmillan stock and nf rings. :mrgreen:
Great looking rifle with top notch components

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be using 1 rifle for Deer, Elk, Bear, and Antelope...

Christensen Arms 300 RUM with Leupold VX3-I CDS 4.5-14x40 30mm CDS dial to 900 yards. Rifle is shooting 180 grain Nosler Accubonds at 3300 FPS. Most accurate big game rifle I have ever owned. Capable of 3 shot 4-5" groups out to 800 yards (I don't shoot game that far, just nice to know what it can do!)

My wife will be carrying the old faithful .270 that went over a major makeover this spring.....

Winchester Model 70 Supergrade Action, #3 contour shilen barrel at 25".Mcmillan hunter stock with Talley rings and Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. Shooting 129gr. Barnes LRX bullets at 3075 FPS...This rifle has killed a lot of animals and is just about bulletproof. It also will serve this year as a camp extra/backup rifle once my wife has to leave camp.

Attachments

• 270win.jpg
    270win.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,472
  • 300 rum.jpg
    300 rum.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,472
I have been thinking about this very question. I am headed to South Dakota for Whitetail Deer and my license allows for one buck and one doe.
I rescoped my Model 70 pre-war 300 H&H with a 3.5x10 40mm Leupold CDS a couple years ago and I have not bagged anything with it since I put the Leupold on it. Load that's easy 180gr Nosler AB it's more than what's needed for deer but I like the rifle and its begging to go West.
I know I have a better Deer rifle in my .264 Win Mag Model 70 so it will be going as well for rain days and maybe for a doe.
I need a third tag as I have been wanting to hunt with my 6mm Rem. Model 700 BDL what's a guy to do ?

I have shot 13 coyotes (see breakdown below) so far this summer using three different rifles-

10 - Ruger M77 Hawkeye .22-250 with Redfield 4x12x40mm
2 - Winchester Model 70 .30-06 with Leupold VX-2 3x9x40mm
1 - Savage 99R .250-3000 with Nikon 2x7x32mm

For my L.O.P. Antlerless deer tag and my Rocky Mountain General Season Spike Elk Tag, the Winchester .30-06 of course!

Still, have been thinking of adding yet one more rifle to the safe this winter, something all-weather and in .270 or 7mm caliber (possibly magnum persuasion).

Good luck everyone!

Dale

I will be hunting deer here in Michigan with 3 guns. Where shots are longer I will be using my M70 Extreme Weather in 7wsm shooting 160gr AccuBond. Mostly I will be concentrating on handgun hunting with my Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter in 45 colt. It has a Nikon 2x scope and shoots Buffalo Bore 260gr at 1450 real well. Then during late muzzleloader I will be shooting my TC Omega 45 with hornady sst 40 cal sabots.

Grouse season is my Beretta 28ga OU shooting Winchester AA sporting clay load 7½. Good for woodcock too. Rabbits get Fiocchi golden pheasant #5.

Fall rules! Just wish it would cool off...

I will be using my old standby bear rifle when I head north to Canada in a few weeks. The 45-70, launching a 350gr Swift A-Frame bullet at 2,000 ft/sec shoots extremely well and should be more "medicine" then needed for virtually any bear I might encounter.
Marlin_small.JPG

For whitetail hunting in N Carolina where shots can be rather long over the big soybean fields, I will be using a custom built 7WSM. The 160 Accubonds that the rifle favors at about 3,100 ft/sec drop deer and larger critters in an impressive way.

In January I will be heading to northern Utah in search of my first mountain lion. After much research into an appropriate rifle/cartridge to use for this hunt I have settled on using a short, light custom built Rem model 7 in .223. The fact that it shoots bugholes at 200yds won't make much difference when shots are typically 30yds - straight up! :grin:

My only tag is for a late season cow elk. I plan to use the Nosler Heritage in 30-06 that I bought during the Father's Day sale this past summer. Ammo will be factory 165 AccuBond ,and the rifle has a 6x42 Swarovski scope mounted in Talley fixed rings.

Jim,

Welcome aboard. Always glad to see new people posting here. You will be well equipped with the 30-06 and the 165 grain AB. Swarovski scopes are counted among some of the best, and this one will no doubt serve you well. We'll look forward to pictures of a successful hunt for you. Again, welcome aboard.

Back