What are we hunting with this season?

JimR":1gw1zzea said:
My only tag is for a late season cow elk. I plan to use the Nosler Heritage in 30-06 that I bought during the Father's Day sale this past summer. Ammo will be factory 165 AccuBond ,and the rifle has a 6x42 Swarovski scope mounted in Talley fixed rings.

Jim, welcome to the forum. That is a great set up, 30-06, Nosler rifle, Swaro scope and Tally rings, what a great set-up. Best of luck on your hunt.

Agree - a very nice rifle/scope/mount combo and I think it's hard to beat Nosler bullets on game.

Good luck on your hunt, and welcome to the forum!

Guy

I thought for the new people I would post my favorite picture of my custom rifle. This is a 1966 push feed Model 70, 300 Win Mag, with a Brown stock, bedded, and a 4.5 X 14 X 40 Zeiss with a standard turret. She has been blued twice, stock is on its third paint job, and this is the third scope. This picture is in SE Idaho 5 years ago, in December.
PIC_0017.JPG

Anyone else notice Bill always seems to come up with another elk. Might be some good information packed under his hat. Just saying....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":1i2llomn said:
Anyone else notice Bill always seems to come up with another elk. Might be some good information packed under his hat. Just saying....

We do find elk now and again! 8)

You should get it nitrided, you won't ever have to get it blued again. Not much you can do about the stock paint though.

I've never heard of a round count limit on nitride. My 300 RUM had a lot of rounds thru it, I used the tubs final finish system before having it nitrided, it cleans up in a patch of two now

They don't recommend it after more than a break in on the barrel. Once it has erosion the process can screw of the barrel. The way you did it would be the only way I'd risk it with a barrel that has a lot of rounds through it like Bill's and it's still sketchy.

Would not have a guess on round count for this one. But if you take a conservative guess of 30 every year for 50 years it does add up. Accuracy is still near 1/2 moa, which is good enough for mosst elk. I am thinking about paint the stock again and adding a new recoil pad, for next season.

For elk and deer I used my Hoyt Maxxis 35 (archery season is already over for me). However, rifle season for deer started last weekend so I am using my new Weatherby Vanguard in .25-06, pushing Barnes 100grain TTSXs around 3200 fps. I am also carrying my 10mm loaded with federal's trophy bonded bullets, just in case I get a close enough shot. I'm an archery guy first and foremost, but I am super happy with my new rifle, besides its really my first hunting rifle that I purchased.

Cool! Enjoy that .25-06, it's one heck of a cartridge and I've used mine extensively.

Your Barnes TTSX's will no doubt serve well, and I suspect you're in a no-lead area. But... Consider Noslers if you haven't. They're game-taking bullets for sure!

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":3lhto55w said:
Cool! Enjoy that .25-06, it's one heck of a cartridge and I've used mine extensively.

Your Barnes TTSX's will no doubt serve well, and I suspect you're in a no-lead area. But... Consider Noslers if you haven't. They're game-taking bullets for sure!

Regards, Guy
Not in a not lead area but all of California will be no lead for hunting by 2019. I've tried developing a load for the etips but cannot get the same accuracy as the TTSX. I will say that my attempt was limited to a few different powder charges and then I set the etips aside. The Barnes shoot sub 1/2 inch at 100 yds, which I stumbled upon in less than 15 rounds, so I am extremely happy with that. Heck I got to shoot the 25 out to 739yds and hit what I was aiming at. I've never shot that far before so it was a cool experience. I would guess that I put my rounds in a 2'x2' spot. Like I said never done anywhere near that distance before so I was excited. I'm comfortable out to 200 but the archer in me wants to get CLOSE.

Back before the TTSX (tipped) were avail, I shot a few deer with the 100 gr Barnes TSX from my .25-06 at 3340 fps mv. Accuracy was good. Results were mixed - which is, I believe one of the reasons Barnes developed the TTSX version, to ensure that the bullet would open readily.

Also - I saw an inordinate amount of barrel fouling from the soft all-copper Barnes bullets and my .25-06 with a fairly rough, new, Remington barrel.

I think that .25-06 is going to do real well for you, no matter which hunting bullet you select. Sounds like your load is doing GREAT!

Guy

I've had very good success with the TSX--so good that I've seldom resorted to the TTSX. It was a "star performer" in my 300 WSM for quite a few years. I see quite a few still on my shelves.

Ya, I think the problems reported Mike, were mostly with the smaller bore TSX's, and their tiny hollow points. I heard from several others, along with my own experience, about "iffy" expansion, particularly when velocity had dropped off.

The TTSX solved that issue for sure!

Guy

I agree, Guy. I didn't use the monolithic bullets in many smaller cartridges. The few I did use them in were developed for others that specifically requested TSX bullets (and one that insisted on using the old coated X-bullet). I never received reports back from those people. I suppose they were happy.

I've seen two TSX bullets pulled from moose that were intact to the point you could rinse them off and fire them again. Both 30cal/180gr that impacted at longish range (400 or so).

They do work, but they seem peculiarly finicky with regard to accuracy. It seems rifles love them or hate them and people seem to be the same. I've got a few boxes of loaded TTSX rounds for my .270 and the 7-08 that I need to try out again after a long spell of being leery of them.

Back