7mm-08 and the new 150 AccuBond

I guess it's cool that Nosler is filling out their offerings but I don't see what a 150gr AccuBond is going to do that the 140gr or 160gr didn't already. What I've been wanting for a long, long time is a 7mm 100gr E-tip! Even a 120gr E-tip would be nice, but a 100gr would be fast and would put the smack down on deer at point and shoot distances they are killed at most of the time.

No experience with the 150 Accubonds. I do like using 150 grain bullets in the 7mms and wouldn’t hesitate to use a 150 AccuBond in 7mm-08 if it was shooting decently with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't know they were making one. That would be a sweet elk bullet for the 7-08. 120 Bt's for deer and 150 AB for bigger stuff. I need another 7-08

In my tikka 7-08 I. Running 46gr of rl17 behind a 140 ab. Tried out the 150 ablr and found a second tack driving load. This tikka loves its noslers.

Can't help you with the AccuBond but I use the 150 gr NBT in my 7-08 and they are tremendous, of course they are powered by Big Game.. lol

I dont think you really need an AB at 7/08 velocities, even for elk. I load the 150g ballistic tips in my wifes kimber to 2825fps with 46g RL17. Shoots 1/2 MOA and will certainly do the job. I dont think theres much if any difference in the way they will shoot. Basically the same bullet, just a tad thicker jacket on the AB.

If I want more performance out of a 7/08.... I go to a better bullet... not more bullet mass. Visa vis.... 140 NBT to 140 TTSX..... you would see that difference in performance on game.

Out of a 7/08, the only thing a 150 AB does better than a 140 AB... is go slow.

Songdog, why do you like the 140 ttsx better than the NBT or AccuBond?
I'm loading 7mm08 with 120gr NBT, to get good recoil load for my kids. But this year we used the commercial Barnes with the 120gr ttsx, and I do have a box of those bullets to load if desired. They worked good on 2 deer. But over 25 years using 7mm NBT 140gr, I got about 75% deer drop where standing, so have considered the NBT very effective on deer.

Since I'm just loaded up for an accuracy ladder with 120gr nbt and imr4350, haven't committed to final.load, I'd be interested in why you like the ttsx as a better bullet, was that just for monolithic for elk, not deer?

I don’t “like it better” all the time.....

Out of a 7/08.... If it’s deer and antelope, I like the 120 NBT... but for elk/bears I prefer the 140 TTSX. I’ve seen the 140 TTSX out of the 7/08 absolutely hammer elk.... break both shoulders... and exit hard. I would never expect that performance out of an NBT or an AB. I’ve seen too many “bonded” bullets actually over-expand. They shed little weight, so your classic 60-70% (weight retention) mushroom.... turns into an 85% (weight retention) wad of Bubblegum.

If you want to make something punch a little bigger than it’s weight class.... adding 7% to the bullet mass... ain’t gonna do it.... you need a better bullet, at the same or at least equal speed.

I have watched 3 elk walk away from ttsx bullets in the last three years. Never seen an animal walk away from an AccuBond. I want nothing to do with barnes. Nosler has never failed me to this date. Even then barnes are overrated and over priced pennies for inconsistent accuracy and inconsistent expansion

I've never been a huge fan or impressed with Barnes either. I keep an old box of 30 cal 165g XLCs by the front door to throw at stray cats. About all they're good for...Haha. They're over rated and over priced for sure.

Funny how mileage varies....

Everything I’ve ever seen get shot with a TSX/TTSX... got hammered.

The only time I’ve seen animals “walk away” from ANY bullet.... it was shooter error.... just sayin’. Did you recover the elk?

Jorey..... you shoot any Barnes this millennia, or are you stuck on the Blue Coated version from 1998?

I have never seen an elk walk away from a TTSX LRX AB or PT.

I guess they were hit correctly in the boiler room.
Heck I can say the same thing about interlocks.

I took a number of elk and moose with my 300 WSM loaded with 180 grain TSX. I don't recall any requiring a second shot.

150 grain ABLR shoots very well in my 280 Rem. One speedgoat is my only data point.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

150 ABLR 280 Rem. 51.0 gr IMR 4350. 1 MOA. Approx 0.025 off the lands. Ruger M77 .

And..I will weigh in on TTSX. .300 Wby 180 TTSX on 2 black bears, 75 and 35 yds.

Hammered them. DRT. Major hydrostatic shock and pass thru, no big exit hole.
Thru the ribs no big bone impact. I will keep shooting bears with TTSX. Going to try 120 TTSX in 6.5CM this year in fact.

I couldn't get 180AB to shoot in the 300 Wby. 90AB shoots great in my 243 Win and hammered a deer at 25 yds.

I need to back up and take longer shots.

Back