Seeing some easing on reloading supplies.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
I think......can only go off of what's coming in. A local shop got in quite a bit of factory ammo, guessing 200 plus boxes of rifle ammo, way more than that of 22, 22 mag, 17 HMR ect. As well as a lot of shotgun ammo. Also shotgun and small pistol primers. Quite a selection of bullets and powder also came in. All at raised prices compared to old prices, but they are there. One can only hope it's a sign of turning the corner on availability. All the factory ammo that came in is the best sign in my opinion. If the factory ammo can get restocked on shelves, primer availability will follow.

🤞 yes I see more and more here too, and Sportsman's is allowing online orders for pick up at the store. Saw Midway had Varget and Retumbo today for a little bit.

I agree. Supply seems to be slowly catching up with demand.

Primers... Still hoping to be able to walk into the LGS and buy whatever primers I need at a reasonable price.

We shall see... :)

Primers... Still hoping to be able to walk into the LGS and buy whatever primers I need at a reasonable price.

Yeah, unfortunately I think we are still a long ways off from that. But you gotta start somewhere. It appears based on both online as well as LGS's, the bottom was reached and we are heading the other direction. Time will tell if that trend holds. Like you say, we shall see.

I started out the new year with over 8,500 large rifle and large rifle magnum primers, so I'm good for a while, but that doesn't do people that are not in that position, jack beans. The quicker things ease towards normalcy the better for all of us.

I found myself in a very odd spot last year. I didn't shoot as much partly because I was in a conserving mindset, but also I was aware of not making other local people unnecessarily resentful at me. Most people could not even buy a box of ammo for their chambering, much less be able to afford to shoot. A weird feeling, but not unfounded.

Last edited:
For the first time in more than a year I went into the locale sportsman's warehouse and found small rifle primers. 1K LIMIT PER PERSON. My wife was with me so we picked up 2K. $48.00 per K out the door.

For the first time in more than a year I went into the locale sportsman's warehouse and found small rifle primers. 1K LIMIT PER PERSON. My wife was with me so we picked up 2K. $48.00 per K out the door.
Good report. That's what I like to hear. Not insane prices either. That's right handy what I averaged per brick last yr, but that was a 1 source only opportunity and was not new primers coming in but working off a large stash they had from before. Way better to hear of new stock coming in and not at ridiculous prices. (y)

Good report. That's what I like to hear. Not insane prices either. That's right handy what I averaged per brick last yr, but that was a 1 source only opportunity and was not new primers coming in but working off a large stash they had from before. Way better to hear of new stock coming in and not at ridiculous prices. (y)
Friends of mine were at a lgs yesterday they nad primers but you could only buy 100.

Definitely seeing more powder and primers available online from time to time. Powder Valley and Midway have even had H4350, although it doesn't last long. I hope this continues and prices begin to come down a little.

Got a pound of Varget at a local Sportsmans Warehouse the other day. $50 with tax. Whoa now. Won't be stocking up at that price though I'm glad to have it.

Definitely seeing more powder and primers available online from time to time. Powder Valley and Midway have even had H4350, although it doesn't last long. I hope this continues and prices begin to come down a little.
Powder Valley had H4895 other day that is a hard one to get but I did get some Federal Fusion .277 bullets which they have the best prices around on them.

Let's hope this goes away soon. I was able to score some Peterson brass and 1,000 CCI 200 primers towards the end of last summer. Basically, this is a hit & miss situation also, I wish more shops in the Fort Riley area carried supplies. Hopefully, Everything should slow down in the next 6 months. I spoke with a technician from Hodgdon and he believes that more h4350 will be sent out by the end of January. Does anyone use Winchester Staball 6.5 powder for the 30/06? if so what is your experience?

You guys might be mad at me. I fell into a deal today.

Yesterday I gave a brick of magnum primers to a LGS so they would have some to sell. The understanding is when LR comes in I get the first brick. Doesn't matter if it's gold metal match that they would be selling for $100, I get the first brick that comes in for the magnum primers I gave them. Whenever that might be.

Today I called a guy not 3 miles from my house to see if he would be interested in some match ammo that I had picked up along with some other ammo a while back. He wasn't as he just shoots pistol and small rifle now. Asked him if he had any large rifle primers......said he did, he would have to check. Calls me back and says he has 4,000. They were his Dad's and are old but they were stored well. He said how about $50 for all 4?

Yes sir. Sounded like a deal to me.

They are the older sliver and blue CCI 200's. I wont trust them for hunting rounds, but I'm betting they will work fine. It will let me do a lot of cast bullet shooting in my 35 Whelen without burning up any of my newer primers. They have price tags of $12.99 on them. He said they would've been bought in the 90's.

OUTSTANDING!

And yes, they'll likely work just fine. I've used some awfully old primers, even lately.

Congrats on a great deal. :)

Guy

OUTSTANDING!

And yes, they'll likely work just fine. I've used some awfully old primers, even lately.

Congrats on a great deal. :)

Guy
I was happy when he said he's sure he has some, to let him check and he'd get back to me. I figured maybe a couple hundred to add to what I got is always a good thing if I could get them cheap enough. When he called back and said he had 4,000 I was shocked! Not what I was expecting. And CHEAP, as long as they work. (y)

Wow; That was an awesome purchase. Around here where I live the shelves are pretty much bare. There are a few places that have some Hornady bullet stock but that's about it. Powder is almost nonexistant and if or when you find some at a decent price buy fast. The auction is going strong with the sky as the limit. I really think people have lost a few marbles when I see what some are willing to pay.

Here are a few examples...........

Goodness! ONE pound of Retumbo for $210?

That's a reasonable, even good price.. For 8 pounds... :)

Guy

That's crazy, Possum. Don't know where peoples heads are. I pray for all our sakes, the madness stops. It's a little disconcerting to watch such detachment from sanity on full display.

Don't know where you're at, and don't have a explaination of what you're seeing locally other than to say it seems the shops must be tiered on the list based on past orders, rather than what spot they're at on the order list. There's 2 shops in particular locally that although not particularly large in size, have done a large business before.

Those 2 shops are the ones that now seem to have gotten a pretty good shipment of all types of supplies. The small volume shops in the past, seems like they can't buy anything more than an individual can. as of right now.

That's crazy, Possum. Don't know where peoples heads are. I pray for all our sakes, the madness stops. It's a little disconcerting to watch such detachment from sanity on full display.

Don't know where you're at, and don't have a explaination of what you're seeing locally other than to say it seems the shops must be tiered on the list based on past orders, rather than what spot they're at on the order list. There's 2 shops in particular locally that although not particularly large in size, have done a large business before.

Those 2 shops are the ones that now seem to have gotten a pretty good shipment of all types of supplies. The small volume shops in the past, seems like they can't buy anything more than an individual can. as of right now.

I'm in Saskatchewan Canada; I'm northwest of Ophiem MT about 40 miles the way the crow flys.
One thing I can say for certain is that Canada with about the same population as that state of California is not high on the supply list. I'm glad that I always stay well stocked so I can get through times like this and avoid the total Insanity. It wasn't like we couldn't see this coming.

Back