How many of you are considering a tri-pod to shoot off of for hunting?

xphunter

Handloader
Sep 15, 2005
Curious who is doing it or is considering it?
2023 will be the year that I dive into this hard, to see what my limits will be, especially with center-grip single-shot XP-100's.
I have used tri-pod's in the past, but I am wanting to get serious about it this year.

Using 8" or 10" steel what is the max distance you can hit your target every time (with your hunting rig) from standing, sitting, or double kneeling?

I am getting Arca rails (2.5-3 inch) installed after the first of the year on a handful of my primary hunting center-grip XP-100's: (6mm-284, 25-284, 6.5-284, 280AI, and 300 SAUM).

I do understand I am adding weight to my hunting set-up.

Pros and Cons?

Nothing beats going prone but alas not possible always.

Standing I’ll take a Bog Pod or Trigger Stick every time if given the choice. If I was walking I’d opt for the Trigger Stick. If stationary I’d go with the Bog Pod and Death’s Head. My choices are based solely upon the weight of said accessories.

Vince

Nothing beats going prone but alas not possible always.

Standing I’ll take a Bog Pod or Trigger Stick every time if given the choice. If I was walking I’d opt for the Trigger Stick. If stationary I’d go with the Bog Pod and Death’s Head. My choices are based solely upon the weight of said accessories.

Vince
What are your comfortable shooting distances with each of those systems?

What are your comfortable shooting distances with each of those systems?

Sitting with the Death’s Head I’d go 500 Yards, same as prone, but standing I’d limit to 350 Yards.

Standing with the Trigger Stick I might go 300 Yards depending on how I felt that day. I’d go 200 ish with the Trigger Stick any day.

Vince

Prone or sitting with improvised rests have been my go-to’s forever. And given the opportunity they are still my defaults. But as I found out on my Aoudad hunt this year, sometimes you just need a tri-pod. To summarize, I had to thread some needles to pilot my bullet into my ram. The only way to do that was by standing on my knees, while sitting on the slight elevation my pack added (squeezed between my calves and tush) and resting my rifle on the bog pod.

I’ve also been caught in open, rocky flats where the bog pod saved the day from a sitting position.

By far I prefer the Bog pod tripods to a bipod as they offer more range of adjustment to suit whatever shot, and don’t add weight forward of the natural balance of my rifles for offhand shooting.

One more quality tool for getting the job well done!

I became a believer in sticks while in Africa this last spring. I’ll have a set for this fall. Prone I’ve taken several elk at long 400 out to 501 yards, one deer at 6. Shot my Kudu at 500 prone. Missed a bushbuck standing off sticks at a little over 3. I have hunted mule deer and elk for 55 years, a few moose sheep bears antelope thrown in. I would bet 75% of those animals were shot from sitting or kneeling, most well with in 400. Africa was great training. We took 10 animals with the zebra and warthog being snap running shots. The rest of them I shot from sticks. But we evaluated some where around 60 or 70 animals. On most of those I was able to get to kneeling or sitting and quickly adapted to using the sticks.
My duty rifles all had bipods. I trained almost weekly for 20 years with a 308 on bipod But I never put one on a hunting rifle. Still haven’t done it.

We have the Trigger Sticks and they are quick to adjust for a shot. I also have a Death Grip tripod that is great. I set it up for Sue in a blind for her bear hunt last year. The rifle was set up so that all she had to do is lean into the rifle and she was set to go. Worked like a champ.
I have had no problem hitting the 8" gong at 400 yards at the club with my 338 RUM.
We did some "training exercises " preparing for our Huntingmoon Moose hunt. We shot off the trigger sticks standing at 200 and 300 yards and timed ourselves on the follow up shot, time between shot 1&2. It payed off as Sue put 3 perfect shots into her bull at 262 yards.
We like them.
I also have a couple of Harris bipods. They are great but rarely use them.

JD338

I have the Triggersticks, too.
With the two point rest.
I only use it for shorter distances. I don't like the wobble of the handle. Not steady enough for me if the nerves kick in...

Have a Bog Pod tripod that I have used occasionally for several years...mostly when I know I am going to need the support in open terrain and sitting isn't going to work. My daughter used it to take her first big game animal (mule deer) a number of years ago.
My wife tried it in the beginning, but didn't like how long it took to set up in the field. So I got a trigger stick monopod at first to try. It helped, but was too unstable, although she liked how fast it was to set up, plus using in as a walking aid. Finally got her a tripod Trigger stick, which she has been using regularly to practice with. She feels more stable on it, but for more than 100 yards, she would still like something better when standing. I have seen where someone used the mono trigger stick for the rear of the rifle and the tripod trigger stick for the front of the rifle for added stability. They reported that it made a difference. We haven't tried it yet, but are planning too.
My daughter used the tripod trigger stick this year for her sheep and her moose. She said it helped her, but she had to get used to shooting off of the sticks...first couple of shots didn't go where she planned. To be fair, it was her first attempts off the sticks, as we did not have time to go out and practice with them before the hunting trip. She was more comfortable with using it by the time she took her sheep and moose.
I used them standing for my caribou due to the terrain.
I have recently picked up the field pod head for the Bog Pod and will try it out to see how stable it is.
Will definitely spend more time practicing with them this year before hunting season!

Edit Note: The trigger stick is easier to use when using from sitting positions as leg widen out more.
Whenever possible, if you can set up to something as a back rest, it helps immensely with overall stability. And if possible stabilize your trigger arm with a daypack/backpack under your shoulder or elbow, as the situation may allow.

Last edited:
The shooting sticks or the quad sticks, will not work for me, because I’m shooting a Specialty Pistol.
I have used them with rifles and they work great.

I've used tri-pods for years. Mostly for PDs and coyotes. I do carry it sometimes for big game. Presently I use a Bog Pod the yoke also grips my spotting scope.

I have a Death Grip, which I used on this year's doe. For shooting from a prepared, static position, it's great. For my wife, who has some upper body strength issues, it's great. I would not want to haul it around anywhere.

My 6.5-284 is heavier than several of the other hunting XP’s
79CCB58A-A400-414C-95E2-DA30FF128EAF.jpeg
41CD12B7-2F6A-4907-BCDE-BF4F8708B909.jpeg
The length of the tripod, including the head is 22 inches long in its shortest configuration.

I have been practicing with a trigger stick but am still not as accurate as I need to be and currently would not go beyond 100 yards. Assuming you are a right handed shooter I am curious were the best spot is for your left hand? On the inside of the trigger stick near the mag well, on the outside of the trigger stick closer to the muzzle, on top of the scope over the trigger stick or below the rifle trying to grab both the trigger stick and rifle?? Curious what people have found to be the best technique.

Myself;
As a lefty, I grasp the Triggerstick's cradle with my right hand and baby and ring fingers, and use my middle and index fingers to steady the rifle's fore stock on the left side ahead of the cradle, with my thumb steadying the stock on the right side, behind of the cradle. I have XL hands, so this works for me. Also keeps rifle from moving back or forward when on uneven terrain shooting up or downhill. (Note: keep hand above trigger so as to not activate and change shooting stick height while setting up for shot)
This will aid if you have to quickly move or readjust for the shot, or to move for a follow up shot.
My wife, also a lefty, uses a similar hold, slightly modified for her hand size (L).
My daughter, as a right handed shooter, mirrors the above, and has small hands and also modifies this grip for her hand size.
You may find it easier or more comfortable to grasp the front of the cradle with your baby and ring fingers, and have your thumb wrapped around the back of the cradle, with your middle and ring fingers over the top of the barrel. My wife and daughter also use this grip when the shot angle doesn't allow the other grip for their smaller hands. Of course, at the range on flat terrain, it is always easier than when out in the field with uneven terrain.
You will have to experiment to find what works best for you and your hand size, in the various shooting positions.

My last two mule deer were shot from a Bog "Deathgrip" tripod.

2021 mule deer buck at 350 yards with my Remington 700 30-06, 6x Leupold, 180 grain Berger Elite Hunter
2022 mule deer doe at 170 yards with the Henry 30-30, 2.5x Leupold, 160 grain Hornady FTX

We had my son's 7mm Magnum Bergara on the Deathgrip this season too, but he didn't get a shot. It's an awfully steady platform, but not as expensive as the higher end tripods.

lF3z7wNh.jpg

iFL71mqh.jpg

I think that it helped me place both shots well.

Regards, Guy

That's what I use when I think I have enough time. Rock solid, not worse than the bench
View attachment 18537
This is somewhat like the "4 Stable Sticks" I've tested. I thought it was a viable option, but I very quickly learned on uneven ground, and left to right adjustments (having to slightly pick up and move the legs) wasted time. I know a few hunters that use these, and like in Africa the three sticks for supporting the forend of the stock does do a good job for making a good shot quickly. That said I suppose as the distance gets pushed out having something for your support arm makes sense which this does well.

Nice looking sticks, did you make them?

I've been packing a tripod for over three decades. I use it for everything..... Obviously supporting a spotting scope, my binos for glassing, makes long term use easier, and better to find game..... Like the time I saw just the eye of a Mule Deer in Montana bedded down in Sage Brush. Accurate ranging quickly and knowing it's one and done, to supporting a long gun in the front, or the rear support when having the forend supported off a bag on something else, i.e. rock, log, branch, fence post or rail, anything that has a horizontal support.

It's a tool, and if used correctly over a period of time on the clock becomes second nature and can produce effective results. I would never be without it that's for sure. It's used almost as much for front support as it is for a rear support. (If you're not sure how this is done look at the PRS YouTube videos and you should be able to see how that's accomplished). And like I said, I like to know the range is correct the first time......

IMO the Trigger Stick Apex Carbon is by far the quickest way to adjust on the fly! That said, I don't own one but have tested them out and it works great!

I own a RRS Versa Mk2 SOAR series 3 which is way more $$$ than what I had been using for the last 8 years, but that eventually broke down and wasn't as fast or as stable. I mostly just use my WarHorse Development Clede bag over the top of my tripod vs a Hog Saddle. I also have a MUB plate that attaches to a ball head if need be, but not when weight is a concern.

Back