The Runner(s) Up - All around cartridge

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
About a year back on my facebook page “Shooting the Breeze” we had a fun discussion and poll that I would love to start here.

We all can easily name our favorite all-around hunting rifle cartridge I suppose, mine without a doubt is the .30-06 Springfield. But what if, hypothetically, you couldn’t have your first choice for whatever reason. This was a real thought provoker for some.

What is/are your runner(s) up?

For me, it’s absolutely the 7mm Remington Magnum. Just as ubiquitous as the .30-06, and practically as versatile, I don’t think there is anything I could or would hunt with my first choice that I couldn’t or wouldn’t hunt with my runner up.

The .270 and .308 Winchester also get honorable mention but as they are not as versatile, I hesitated to give them the runner up status.

What’s your first choice for second choice? Why?

Also a .lover of the 300 wm and a .30-06 junkie but I would vote for the .375 h&h. Lots of bullet weights to choose from, can handle large or small game and even dangerous game. Maybe not a long range sniper but able to stretch its legs beyond 300 yards with authority. I’m happy to use any of them

Mine is the .338 Win Mag.

I find it more versatile than the 30-06 and it’s sufficient for anything in North America and a lot of Africa. A close friend even used one on Cape Buffalo.

Although I have a new .375 Ruger so that may become my favorite. For the second position I’m leaning towards the 45-70 but the 6.5 Creedmoor is closing in on it pretty quickly.

Vince

Well, there's my 30-06, and then there's my other 30-06... ;)

Oh crud, you asked about cartridges not rifles! LOL!

For me and the game I hunt, and the places I hunt, the 30-06 has stayed firmly in first place for my hunting rifle cartridges for quite a while.

Second place/runner-up? Hmm, the 25-06 comes to mind, but it's a little light for some hunting tasks. Still the light recoil and good accuracy make it seem a mighty fine choice.

But as Filmjunkie points out the 7mm Remington Magnum has a similar recoil to the 30-06, can handle the same variety of wild game and shoots flatter. Yup, that's a fine "runner up."

If I hunted more truly big game, I'd toss the 375 into the discussion. But I don't.

Regards, Guy

Favorite HUNTING rifle , easy 416 Wby. I picked this rifle up several years ago not knowing it would pass my 338 Lapua as my favorite overall rifle.
Second HUNTING rifle might be my 460 Wby if those 404gr Hammers work out otherwise it’s a tough decision.

My first rifle was a m70 30-06, I got in the early 70's. It was the only rifle I had for about 30 years. Hunted everything from ground squirrels to elk. I rebarreled it to a 25-06 about 10 years ago and bought a 280 Rem. My 280 with 140gr Hammers and/or 150gr AB is my favorite, so for 2nd a pre-64 m70 30-06.

Hmmm, I can't even really choose my favorite. There's kind of a pool of cartridges that I really like. I guess you could just move to the next one in the pool....
.35 Whelen
.300 WM
.30-06
7WSM
.257 Weatherby
.25-06
6mm (though that's certainly NOT gonna be something I take after elk, limited to spikes/cows or not).

Funny, I think if I ever pick up a .280 AI, or build a .338-06, they might become favorites.

EDIT: How could I forget Holland's Super .30?

My favourite all around cartridge is the 280 Rem with a premium 150 or 160 gr bullet. (The AccuBond being my preferred choice here) With velocities of 2100+fps and energies of 1600+ ft.lbs at 500 yards, it will work well on the bulk of big game I hunt regularly, and/or want to hunt.
The LH Rem 700 with both laminate and synthetic stocks makes it a great all around rifle too.

Runner would have been my 338-06...but am growing very fond of the 338 Federal.
Now that I have this in the LH Sako 85 Finnlight II w/ carbon fibre barrel, the scoped rifle weighs 7 lbs 12 ounces and is a whole lot lighter than my 338-06 which is close to 10 pounds. As accurate as it is, it is just too heavy to be an ideal all around rifle.
The Sako in 338 Federal makes a great all around rifle.
With velocities with the 200 gr AccuBond, of 1800+ fps and almost 1500 ft. lbs @ 400 yards, it will work well on the bulk of big game I hunt regularly, and/or want to hunt.

If I were able to use a two cartridge battery world wide, I would probably pick my 9.3x62 for the larger cartridge, and the 6.5x55 as the smaller cartridge. My matched pair of LH Sako 85 Hunters in these two cartridges would work well all around for all the game on my bucket list.

My favorite is the 7-08 followed closely by the .338RUM. My hunting nowadays is based around Whitetails but for the many years I hunted Elk the .338 Ruled the roost. The best Elk getter I've ever owned.

There are so so many to pick from.
338-06 Ackley Improved
35 Whelen
6.5-06 Ackley Improved
30-06
7x57

Last edited:
My first choice would be a 300wsm. Second would be any other 300 magnum (300wm, 30 Nosler, 30-8mm Rem Mag, 300 PRC, etc). The 300wsm does about 95+% of any of the others with less powder, less recoil, and has been proven to be more accurate.

I like smaller calibers too but the .30's and up just kill elk size and larger animals better than smaller calibers. .338's are good too but I personally just shoot .30's better in a light weight gun. IMO as you go up in case capacity and bullet weight the rifle weight should increase as well to help compensate for the additional recoil.

Back