Just ordered a Sako 85

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
I just ordered ... or I should say my wife just ordered. :oops:
We were in the local SG store and I was walking out after NOT ordering a new Sako 85 Finnlight in 300WSM that I have been agonizing over lately. She was having nothing to do with that. I have been thinking of selling a 75 in 270WSM for this but just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger.
As we were actually arguing in the store that I was going to use the extra $$ needed for this purchase to pay some bill or what not, she marched back to the counter and told the person to order "What ever my husband was talking to you about" while pointing at me coming across the store.
Well needless to say the kid behind the counter just chuckled as I walked up and I just said "Do what the lady wants" while smiling ear to ear. We have one coming next week, so now I'm breaking down the Sako 75 Finnlight 270WSM and getting ready to sell it. I'm just shaking my head on this one.

This is to be my "large" Deer and Elk gun. I have a 243W in a 85 Finnlight for most of my deer hunting. I already load for 3 - 300WSMs already so I'm well equiped.

Sounds like you got a winner!

I love my .300WSM... I think it's a perfect large deer and elk gun!

The 300WSM is a great cartridge, to be sure. I'm not certain it will do more than your 270WSM; I haven't made up my mind on that issue yet. :grin:

DrMike":1zypicvx said:
The 300WSM is a great cartridge, to be sure. I'm not certain it will do more than your 270WSM; I haven't made up my mind on that issue yet. :grin:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Having the 270 and 7mm WSM I found myself liking those two more than my 300. Still may have another 300 in the future but I'm not sure if it does much better than the other two... Yet.

My thoughts on 300 & 270. In reality the only diff to me is the 300 having more frontal area and more weight. I've killed plenty deer and elk with less caliber rifles and my 270WSM has dropped 2 bulls and 4 cows where they stood so ..... it's not for lack of performance on the 270s part. That 150gn PT/BT or Hornady just hits HARD. My buddy has same performance from his 270WSM.
Here I am talking my self out of selling it, but what would I do with it if I have the 300 all dressed up and ready and the 243W on the other end?

I totally understand. Nothing wrong with the 300 at all but with the results you've gotten from the 270 WSMS mirror my own results. Love the 300's but great bullets make the 270 WSM a very hard package to top.

To me the 300 WSM has a lot of merit.
Since I already have a 30-06 and. 338 Win Mag I fail to see the need for it however. I'm trying to be more conservative in my rifle options this year.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I've certainly dropped a good number of moose and elk with my 300 WSM. My usual loading was a 180 grain Fail Safe or a 180 grain InterLock. I am, however, loading this rifle with 200 grain Sierra Game Kings now. However, I've dropped almost as many with my 270 WSM loaded with the 130 grain E-Tip. I don't recall any game that required a second shot with either rifle.

Both are great calibres I am not sure if I could decide on one over the other. I am quite partial to the .277 calibre so I believe I keep the 270wsm & play with the 300wsm as well :wink: some people would say I am just a little greedy :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

I would not sell the 270wsm until I knew that 300 was a shooter and even then, I would have a hard time selling either if they both shot well.

I would of kept the m75 270WSM as well....sell something else.

Good on your wife to order new rifle (y) ...me, when I found a mint Sako m75 SS 270WSM, I quietly bought it...LOL. If we argue in hunting/gun stores I always loose... :lol: I had 2 already in the Tikka T3 LS models but had sold them (one was my wife's-sold them both to my fatherinlaw and broinlaw-used the $$$ to buy my Yamaha Rhino 2 years back)... LOVE my 270WSM with 140gr AB reloads. Great performance on elk, moose, deer.

I do have my Sako m75ss 300WM that was purchased new back in 1997-still my main rifle today. Also had a m75 Greywolf in 30WSM but I sold it to a friend that wanted to upgrade from his old 303 British a few years back.

My 2 cents worth of advice...

Use the 300 WSM on elk and moose, use the 243 for deer and antelope, and keep the 270 WSM for that sheep or goat tag you may get in the future! Or a caribou hunt!

Sell it, and you may experience the seller's remorse that most of us have experienced at one time or another.

Well even if you sell the .270 WSM, the WSM will do the trick on anything that you would shoot with it anyhow. I have a Sako Model 85 in .338 Federal and I am not selling it anytime soon. That sucker is easy to shoot, is accurate and will kill any elk that I can hit with it.

Oldtrader3 - I had a Sako 85 in a 338 Federal and killed a couple of elk with it. Sold it to a buddy who spun a 6MM barrel on it. That's why I bought another 338F in a Sav 16 last month. I just like that cartridge.

I picked up the Finnlight this evening. It's as expected. I'll transfer scope over to it and measure the chamber / lands and get some loads put together and shoot this week end.

Of all things, a guy I work with asked if I was interested in selling my R25 - 243W that I have. I hadn't considered it but worth talking about I guess.

SJB358":1pe273fc said:
DrMike":1pe273fc said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Having the 270 and 7mm WSM I found myself liking those two more than my 300. Still may have another 300 in the future but I'm not sure if it does much better than the other two... Yet.

Scotty needs a .30-06 before he buys another .300 Mag anything, at least that is the consensus of his friends here on the forum? :mrgreen:

Teknys, I have never owned a Sako Lite but as long as the recoil is matched to the half-pound lighter rifle, it is still a Sako! Enjoy and let us know how it shoots? I would love to have another Sako, only a Model 85 Hunter and a couple of earlier models.

Back