22-250

Mine started with a surplus 30-06 and surplus ammo for those pdogs. Musta had strong shoulders. Also must be why he moved to 22 caliber.
Back in the 1970's, Dad and I loaded 130 grain Speer hollow points for his two 30-06 rifles and used them for rockchucks, and pretty much everything. Worked great on rockchucks! Eventually I went to the 204 Ruger and he went with a 22-250 that I helped him sort out.

Guy

Back in the 1970's, Dad and I loaded 130 grain Speer hollow points for his two 30-06 rifles and used them for rockchucks, and pretty much everything. Worked great on rockchucks! Eventually I went to the 204 Ruger and he went with a 22-250 that I helped him sort out.

Guy
Back in the 70s my uncle a I used to do that as well, take our 30-06s and go spend the day shooting ground squirrels, great target practice. Definitely a sore shoulder though.

Guy
Those 130 Speer HP's shoot excellent with just 32 grains of IMR 4227 in my Sauer. Shoots well under 1/2" and extremely easy on the shoulder. Only runs about 2500 FPS but I have it on good authority that even at that sedate speed those HP's angled up through the ribcage of a sly crafty chicken killer laying out resting at 150 yds after a summer thunderstorm, will knock the life out of them without so much as a twitch. Instant lights out.

Those 130 Speer HP's shoot excellent with just 32 grains of IMR 4227 in my Sauer. Shoots well under 1/2" and extremely easy on the shoulder. Only runs about 2500 FPS but I have it on good authority that even at that sedate speed those HP's angled up through the ribcage of a sly crafty chicken killer laying out resting at 150 yds after a summer thunderstorm, will knock the life out of them without so much as a twitch. Instant lights out.

Sometime you don’t have to run the hard to be effective as Wile E. found out.

I'm leaning more towards Varget or H4895 due to the temperature variations here in Alberta. Got myself a nice assortment of bullets to try out ranging from 40-55gr.

I started out with H380 & Hornady or Sierra 50s until that real hot July day that locked the bolt in my rifle. W760 was slightly less sensitive, but still problematic between spring & mid summer. H4895 was the next favorite with 50-53s & still does very well if you can find any. It was somewhat replaced by RL15 which gets a touch more speed with the same small groups... again if you can find some.

I recently tried RL17 with 52s & got significantly higher velocities with slightly larger groups. RL16 shoots really, really small in my rifle with 52s at the cost of about 100-150fps less than RL17. The case just wont hold any more 16. I would try RL15.5 but have stopped buying Alliant until their pricing comes more into the real world. For $73/pound at the LGS they can stick it somewhere deep & dark. Started working with VV powders for about everything last year. Initial tests with N140 did real well with 50 V-max & 52 Bergers, speed & group size, last week. The 52s did about 3920fps & 50s went just over 4000fps from a 26" bbl with 3/8" or less 4 shot groups @ 100yds. There's some 52s & N150 loaded waiting for the next range day... maybe tomorrow.

So far N140 is just dandy with 50s & 52s, & really not a bad place to be.

For under 350 yds I would stick with RL16 if I had more of it. It shot that good & was very consistent.

I just shot the N150/52 initial test loads today & while shooting fairly small, they were a little slower than hoped for with no sign of pressure yet. Since 150 is a slower powder I was hoping for a bit more speed. So... will be increasing the powder charge in small increments & trying again probably later in the week. If not there's still N550, N555, & maybe N160 in the queue.

Alliant powders are pretty much non existent up here. Hodgdon and VV are more readily available. With the 55gr, which powders did you find shot well?

Back