100+ degrees, 600 yards!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Despite the scorching heat, three of us had a great day at 600 yards with some good rifles:

6.5x47 Lapua:
012-1.jpg

USMC inspired .308 Win. Note the awesome scope...
006-3.jpg

Armalite AR-10 with a 1.8-10x USO scope, an excellent choice! The stubby little .308 did just fine at 600 yards:
003-3.jpg

And of course the Green Machine .308 in the Eberlestock "mini-me" pack. The rifle acquitted itself well on steel just shy of 600 yards today.
001-1.jpg

Temps hit 100+ degrees here today, with the sun scorching down and mirage disrupting our view of the targets. All in all, it was a great day at the range!

Regards, Guy

It is always good to ring the steel with good friends. There are some sweet looking rifles in those photos. What better way to spend a hot day?

Yeah DF, east of the Cascades, both Washington and Oregon are pretty much "high desert" with a lot more sagebrush than trees and it simply cooks out here in the summer. Days in the 90's are far more common, but we top 100 for a few days most every year. Yesterday was one of those days.

Then in January I'll be whining about sub freezing temps at the same place. :grin:

I love playing with these very accurate rifles. It's such a pleasure to KNOW the bullet is going to strike the target as long as the shooter is reading the conditions right, and shooting well. Although Skippy is an accomplished long-range shooter (prairie dogs & sage rats fear his varmint rifles) he hadn't taken either of these rifles to 600 yards before. A real tech-savvy guy, he plugged in all the environmental conditions, as well as his ammo info into the Palm Pilot, pulled out an elevation figure and we blazed away, striking very close - the data from the little computer was good!

Also, in his dark green .308's scope, he has the "Horus" reticle - which I hadn't used before. It looks very busy - but out at 600 was a pleasure to use for adjusting the point of impact without messing with the elevation & windage adjustment dials anymore. Pretty neat.

Regards, Guy

Looked like a great day, some very nice hardware also.Looks like a great range setup! 100 is to hot for me. I melt like icecream at that temp. My sister lives in Pendleton, yesterday it was 104 there, here on the coast it was 65 with fog in the morning. It is foggy this morning.!!!

100 degres is alittle to hot for me to shoot in but I guess its better than not shooting at all those are some pretty nice rifles.

Those are some serious rifles indeed. I didn't know that washington state could get that hot either. Looks like you all had fun shooting. Yep, that is always fun. Those are extreme temps through out the year. WOW!! What a temp swing.

Great rifles, great shooting and plenty fun---that's what it's all about... :grin: :grin:

Guy,

Looked to be a good time, regardless of the heat. Plenty of cold water and some shade will get you through it.
I bet the mirage was tough!

JD338

It's fun shooting these rifle at long range. You'll be surprised how accurate those ballistic program predict bullet drop even at extended ranges. I use Exbal loaded into my Dell Axim Pocket PC to be carried in the field. I also carry a Kestrel and a GPS to complement the Exbal. Of course you need an accurate rangefinder also. I carry all these gadget on a camera bag when hunting, competing or just plain plinking. You can see it on top of my truck in the picture below.

DSC00269.jpg

Guy-
you sure enough know how to have fun. You need an umbrella and a jug for sun tea and you are set. Never shot at a measured distance that far......bet Ive shot that far....never measured though. :grin: (insert blatant lie about yardage here....) is about as close as I get! CL

Back