100 FPS worth it

C.Smith

Handloader
Oct 11, 2006
I did a ladder test today with my 6.5 Creedmoor using RL 26 with 143 gun ELDX (sorry Nosler). My current load is RL 17 which gets on average of 2713 fps. My ladder test with RL26 got me up to 48-48.4 (accuracy node) with a high velocity of 2818 and a low of 2811. Is that 100 fps worth it in th realm of hunting?

RL17 has proven to be very accurate, most of the time sub MOA, with a best group of .193". Today it shot .786" (5 shot group).

Corey

Given equal accuracy why not go with the faster load.

Accuracy is king though I’d trade speed for accuracy every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure on the accuracy yet. Need to go out and try some groups with the three loads in that accuracy node.

Corey

Most times that 100 fps isn't going to make a big enough difference in the field.
As stated above, I will sacrifice velocity for accuracy, every time.
As I am not a long range hunter, the small difference in trajectory out to 400 yards isn't enough to worry about, nor is the hype regarding tip deformation in flight going to impact my field hunting results by not using the ELD-X.
Have you tried the 142 gr LRAB?

The ELD-X in the factory load shoots well in my 6.5 CM, but the years of successful big game harvests with several different calibers and cartridges using the AccuBond proves that it is very effective and I trust it completely! I plan on finding the most accurate loads for my 6.5x55 and CM with the 130 and 140 gr AccuBonds using Re-26 and other proven powders such as IMR 4350 or H4831sc.

Also take into account that RL26 is impossible to find and RL17 seems to be pretty available.

Blkram":5jy75dlw said:
Most times that 100 fps isn't going to make a big enough difference in the field.
As stated above, I will sacrifice velocity for accuracy, every time.
As I am not a long range hunter, the small difference in trajectory out to 400 yards isn't enough to worry about, nor is the hype regarding tip deformation in flight going to impact my field hunting results by not using the ELD-X.
Have you tried the 142 gr LRAB?

The ELD-X in the factory load shoots well in my 6.5 CM, but the years of successful big game harvests with several different calibers and cartridges using the AccuBond proves that it is very effective and I trust it completely! I plan on finding the most accurate loads for my 6.5x55 and CM with the 130 and 140 gr AccuBonds using Re-26 and other proven powders such as IMR 4350 or H4831sc.

I have not tried it I’ve had great success with accubonds but I’m not a fan of the LR versions I have a bunch of 30 caliber 210 s that none of my 300s like I may still the 140 AB THOUGH
CORRY

Good thing I have three pounds of it kind of why I was looking at it Nothing to use the RL26 in

Corey

It's all balance...if you're getting acceptable accuracy, added speed is a good deal. Truthfully, the difference in .193" groups and .786" groups isn't going to matter any more than 2700 v. 2800 fps when it comes to filling up a freezer.

I tend to rate loads on terminal bullet performance first, accuracy second and speed last. If I can put a good bullet where I want it, good. If I can get it there faster...even better.

A well placed bullet fired from a .308 vs 30-06 is what you are really talking about. Either will do essentially the same job given proper shot placement and a bullet designed for the job.

I like speed as much as the next guy but I'd rather not reduce brass life or accelerate barrel wear in order to grab the last 100 ft/sec. Give me an accurate load anywhere near the potential of the cartridge and I'm good to go.

C.Smith":1ptgkn8z said:
Good thing I have three pounds of it kind of why I was looking at it Nothing to use the RL26 in

Corey

Yep, Since you have the powder go with it. May very well be worth it.

hodgeman":27x9bme8 said:
It's all balance...if you're getting acceptable accuracy, added speed is a good deal. Truthfully, the difference in .193" groups and .786" groups isn't going to matter any more than 2700 v. 2800 fps when it comes to filling up a freezer.

I tend to rate loads on terminal bullet performance first, accuracy second and speed last. If I can put a good bullet where I want it, good. If I can get it there faster...even better.
+1 this is sound advice IMO. I'd rather have the margin of error be as small as possible in the accuracy department with the best bullet the gun will shoot well.

" Is that 100 fps worth it in the realm of hunting?"

That's the $64 question. Is it worth it? If a 2700 FPS load is giving .50" groups and the 2800 FPS load is doing 1.25" what difference does it make on game the size of deer or larger? Sometimes a compromise in a bullet load needs to be made. Trajectory difference is negligible but there. I guess one has to decide which is more important, tight groups or not so tight groups. I load my hunting load to the highest safe with reasonable accuracy my rifle will deliver. There is a point where accuracy is unacceptable based on the rifle in question. I expect my 30-06, .280 Rem. .270 Win. and others to deliver one inch or less. My Ruger M77 RSI however is hard pressed to do 1.5". It's done a good job on deer out as far as 250 yards so the load is acceptable. If it turns out my .416 Rigby never does better than 2" at 50 yards, considering the animal it's designed for, who cares? I try to be reasonable about what a rifle does but try to find what works best. Maybe sometimes we take the holy grail of extremely type groups or the highest velocity way too seriously. Ya think?
Paul B.

Everyone has given great advise Thanks again I’m going to run some tests for accuracy next and see Maybe it will be a back up load or I’ll develops a 140 AB load in case I chase elk with it

I like bullets I trust to perform on game. What I know about ELD-X is, it’s designed to open at long range speeds.(low speeds).

I haven’t seen it what it does at 2700 and 2800. Not too many cartridges are still cruising at 2700 after 300 yards. I’ve heard of them coming apart on game under 100 yards. It might be ideal out west, but dicey in Michigan where my shots are often under 100 yards.

Accurate bullets that don’t penetrate, or don’t expand aren’t worth shooting at game.

AccuBond, partitions, etips, and ballistic tips, Sierra GameKings, ProHunters, Berger VLD, BarnesnTTsx, AFrames, ... all proven killers.

I know there are cup and core bullets that kill game, but more than the bullets above, you have to be confident that the bullet velocity is in the spec range.

From what I’ve read. ELDX is not a mono or bonded, so I would use it in the right application and right conditions.

If I wanted an all around killer bullet at any range, I’d be picking off that first list.

I hate having a good memory.

I recall when it first came out, they said hunting over 300 yards. Now they say 0-400, and 400+.

I love how accurate many Hornady products are. I like the GMX and FTX bullets on game.

My hunting party has on-game experience with 150 and 162 Eldx on deer and elk from 100 to 400 yards. The 150s were out of a 7mm-08, mv 2790, and the 162s from a 7mm Rem Mag, mv 2986. 50% weight retention and 2x expansion, when recovered. Everything died, and right now. In fact, my brother and I each killed elk this year with our 7mm Rem Mags using the 162s. No complaints.

I would certainly go down that rabbit hole to find out if it is as accurate. If it isn't, stick with what's working.

The animal will not notice that 100 fps. All the velocity in the world is useless if it hits the side of the mountain.

Back