100 gr Sierra KerSplat!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Generally I use these inexpensive but accurate bullets for practice, coyotes and the occasional unlucky rockchuck. :grin: The magic load from my .25-06 is: 53 grains of H4350, sparked by a simple CCI large rifle primer. Velocity is a little under 3300 fps, today I saw 3287 fps from the 24" Remington barrel at 48 degrees Fahrenheit.

The little bullet gives it all up, on game or water jugs. This one literally destroyed the first 3 jugs, badly mangled the 4th, then bounced off the 5th jug. The shattered remnants weigh in at a whopping 44 grains and there was obviously jacket-core separation. Expanded diameter was .494" as best I could measure it. At .25-06 or .257 Wby velocity I wouldn't count on it hanging together on mule deer sized game, but I can tell you, the coyotes won't know what happened...

IMG_5212.jpg

IMG_5210.jpg

Sierra's 100 gr .257" Ker Splat bullet! I like 'em. But I'm careful how I use them. Great for accuracy & splat factor.

Or an antelope but finding steaks afterward might be a challenge! :mrgreen:

Guy,

Good test. That bullet would indeed be a good one for coyotes. Would be ok for deer too if you get them out past 250 yds. It would be a dandy bullet for the 257 Roberts.

JD338

That is a pretty good test Guy. 5 jugs isn't anything to sneeze at. Not sure a deer would be able to hold one!

Well, it did bounce off the side of the 5th jug, but good grief, you shoulda seen what it did to the first couple of jugs! Yikes!

It's been spectacular on rock chucks & coyotes as well. I think it would work on deer, particularly at 200+ yards and slipped into the rib cage. A good bullet, but not very robust. Built more for expansion than penetration I'd say - of course the poor thing was sent into water jugs at nearly 3300 fps... :grin:

I find that I like the .25-06 for all the same reasons I liked my 6mm Rem so much - mild recoil, easy to shoot well, flat trajectory and it just flat hammers critters.

Guy

Back