100 grain TTSX in the 260 rem

DIXIE

Beginner
Nov 12, 2006
22" barrel

velocity i should expect?

terminal performance cut off weight? would it work for elk?

I would think you should get 3100-3200 fps and have a lot of penetration.

JD338

DIXIE":2f6zwesq said:
22" barrel

velocity i should expect?

terminal performance cut off weight? would it work for elk?

Jim is right on for speed. I imagine it would "work" for elk, but it would be kind of light to me. Maybe I am a stickler, but bull elk are pretty tough and unless you live next door to alot of elk, usually you are paying a ton of money to hunt them. I would stick with something that really has some bone smashing bone like the 30-06 up to the 338's. Much more forgiving to me. Scotty

JD338 has nailed it. Velocities look about right, and penetration will be excellent. Tissue damage may not be as much as you could wish. Scotty's point is well taken. When shooting elk, if one isn't hit well and with sufficient damage to kill them quickly, you are in for a lot of work tracking. I'd vote for more frontal area and more mass. If you opt to use the 260, I'd still go for more mass.

Shooting cows is one thing, but if you are going to be purposely hunting bull elk, a different cartridge would give you an edge, provided you were up to it. Although, I would never sit home with a perfectly good 260 in my safe! Scotty

I'd opt for more bullet weight if it was me personally. Sure it'll probly work, but a 120-130g even the bigger slower 140g bullet would make much much more sense for elk wouldn't it??

I realize the whole weight retention deal, which is kinda irrelevant since its a Barnes, but the SD on a 100g 6.5mm is hardly ideal for elk. I know SD is not everything and with a Barnes it doesn't really matter. Granted your still gonna get 99g of bullet left with whatever it hits or goes through or into, but a heavier bullet with a higher and proper SD for elk just makes more sense for insurance reasons.

Elk, pound for pound are toughest animals in NA IMO, so they get a little more bullet with a little more umph then deer cartridges.

Id venture to guess 3100 to an upper end of 3200 for velocity.

I'm with everybody else on this one. Elk are very tough, and I would shoot a 130 or bigger. I wouldn't personally use a 260 on elk, but some guys do and have no problems.

My grandpa shot elk all his life with some mildly loaded 130s out of a 270 win. He tells me that he only had to shoot one more than once. I don't see a big difference between a good 130gr. 260 load and a mild 130gr. 270 win load. I would just use a good bullet, and pick your shot very carefully.

Elk, pound for pound are toughest animals in NA.

Have not shot an elk yet but mountain goats can take unbelieveable amounts of punishment.

Would love to see Nosler come out with some 264 cal E Tip's soon

Just my 2 cents

Yes the 260 is kinda light for elk but with the right bullet and shot placement it should work well.

A few of you guys say about a wounded animal. I would rather see or hear that someone used a smaller caliber that they can shoot very well and put the bullet in the kill zone. then read or hear about someone that used a MAG caliber that they cant hit there target with because they are scared to shoot it.

That and the guys in Europe have been killing moose(are elk) with the 6.5x55 swede for a 100 years and its not that much different then the 260 rem.

i know guys that have killed big bulls with a 257 Roberts and a 25-06 with one shot kills.

You are dead on buddy. The 100gr TTSX would get it done on any elk walking but I just prefer a little more. Saying that, if your comfortable with your 260 and can place your bullets with good accuracy out to 300 yards you stand just as much chance of killing as the man with the 338. I believe I would feel pretty decent about a 260 with a 125 PT or the like on elk to 300. Maybe not my first choice but it would be better than a host of other cartridges.

That 100gr TTSX outta my 264 would have to be something fierce. I'm not a Barnes guy but it makes me wanna try the 100gr PT someday. That would be just about like shooting a lazer! Scotty

I would think you should get 3000-3100 fps. I am sure it would work on elk but I would opt for a heavier bullet.

JD338

Here's a little anecdotal evidence for you:

130 TTSX in a 308 win w 20" bbl. MV 3000. Same load I've killed deer and antelope with.

Shot a young 5 point bull elk at about 200 yds. He was broadside and I hit midway down a couple inches behind the shoulder. The bullet passed clean through, hitting the upper half of both lungs. He ran out of sight into a small draw and about 15 seconds later came out of the draw right under us heading downhill in a hurry. My bro dropped him with a follow up shot. So he went about 150 yds total on heart only. Second shot wasn't mortal, just enough to let him know he was already dead. His chest was full of blood, which was the result of first shot only with the ttsx. Yes the first shot woulda killed him without a doubt, but he would of been a lot farther down in the bottom than need be. FWIW, I don't think a heavier x bullet would have made much difference.

I think you will have no problems with penetration with a 100gr x bullet in the 260. I think you may prefer more tissue damage, as others have suggested, if you get a nice broadside shot that doesn't present enough of an obstacle for the solid bullet to expand against. Quartering shot where you can break a shoulder, no problem but you don't always get the ideal shot. A 120 Partition will still get you through a shoulder with no problems, but may give the 260 a bit more "pop" if you double lung a bull.

Just something to think about.

atm

Back