100g NBT/Retumbo results!!!

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Finally got out to the range. I loaded up 3 test loads with 100g NBT/Retumbo, winchester case, winchester WLR primer, and seated to 3.250". I decided to start at 60.5g, then to 61.5g, and lastly 62.5g. I didn't even shoot the last 2 loads as the 1st load was shooting in the .3's and was moving 3480fps. No excessive pressure signs on the case as far as I can tell. Looks like I found a winner on the first try and to top it off, I was going into somewhat uncharted territory. I will stretch it out to 400 yards next time out and see how it holds up.

Rifle is a rem 700, 24" shilen, leupold 6-18x40 Target.

100g NBT
60.5g Retumbo
W-W/WLR
3.250"
3480fps
.311" 3 shots 100 yards

24nmmh1.jpg

That'll do! With str8meat, I'm glad I'm not a deer standing in front of you.

Not dialed in to great. Just wanted to get an idea of how they shot. The rifle is currently sighted in with 75g vmax's.

I think I may just stop here and use this load for coyotes/deer. 100g NBT at 3480fps is no slouch. It will do just fine out to 600-700 yards.

I was gonna play with the 115g NBT, but I have to order them. I can buy the 100g's at bi-mart and wal-mart.

Plus, the 100g is in the middle, I prefer 85g nbt for coyotes, and 115g nbt for deer, but the 100g can do both very well. My average shot out here starts at 200, so i'm not worried about them not performing on deer.

I kind of stumbled onto the use of Retumbo in the .25-06 last year, with some 115's and was very impressed with the results. Didn't try it with any lighter bullets though.

Looks like you're getting some great results!

Thanks everyone. Gotta love NBT's!!!

I loaded up 3 more loads tonight, 60.5g again, but then I also went up and down .5g to see if I could get a little better sweet spot, or better ES. So I have 60/60.5/61 to shoot at 400 yards next time.

Hopefully weather cooperates this weekend and I can see how they hold there accuracy.

I'm wondering how you got 400 fps faster than the quick load suggested you would? What brand of cronograph are you using? Great group!

coyotetrapper- Not to sure, but QL doesn't seem to be very accurate with Retumbo velocities, not from my experience anyways. I'll give you a few examples and you can decide for yourself. These are some loads I"ve used and cronoed...

25-06, 115g VLD/ 58.5g REtumbo, I am getting 3275fps, QL says 2941fps???

25-06, 100g NBT/ 60.5g Retumbo, I am getting 3480fps, QL says 3035fps???

7mm RM, 160g AB/ 71g Retumbo, I am getting 3100fps, QL says 2877fps???

7mm RM, 168g VLD/ 70g Retumbo, I am getting 3000fps, QL says 2865fps???

So as you can see, From my experience with the above caliber/bullets, I am getting A LOT higher velocity then what QL suggests with Retumbo.

My cronograph is a cheap as CHRONY, but it reads everything else the way its suppose to. If it was broke, it would be out of wack on everything. Its not my cronograph...

Also, I believe my 25-06 has a tight chamber because I am getting smokin velocities and am usually using 3-4g LESS powder then what book or QL says and I"m still getting unreal velocity for a 24" 25-06...

I"m not complaining however.

QL is a computer program and is bout like a reloading book IMO. Its not set in stone and its just a guideline...

Hum? I haven't used any retumbo so can't comment on how accurate the program is with it, but the others POP has run for me are very,very close to what they say they will do. I to have a chrony model the beta and I have been surprised how close it is what POP prints. But I'm using different powders as well. I wouldn't complain either if I could get 400 FPS over what is published!!!!!! It is ussally the otherway though LOL. The books are much higher than I acheive even with a 26" barrel.

I use IMR 4350 and 110 accu bonds in my 25-06 it gives me decent velocity and good groups out to 600 yards. But don't shoot many coyotes with it. I use my .243 as the main coyote gun with 90 grain NBT and h-4831 sc powder it makes darn good groups for sure! and is within 15 fps of what Pop's program said it would do!

Wish my 25-06 is that fast. Will find out tomorrow.

Let us know POP, especially if your using Retumbo at all.

I have to work tomorrow so I wont be getting to the range. Hopefully sunday/monday is nice enough to stretch out to 400 yards and see how they hold up for accuracy. Since there shooting in the .3's at 100 yards, I"m hoping for at least 1.5"-2" groups at 400. Will also cronograph again to double check everything. Its got a new battery, I put it 12ft in front of the muzzle, it reads other calibers/bullets/powder just fine, so I dont think my crono is broke.

remingtonman_25_06":10ws1sd5 said:
Let us know POP, especially if your using Retumbo at all.

I have to work tomorrow so I wont be getting to the range. Hopefully sunday/monday is nice enough to stretch out to 400 yards and see how they hold up for accuracy. Since there shooting in the .3's at 100 yards, I"m hoping for at least 1.5"-2" groups at 400. Will also cronograph again to double check everything. Its got a new battery, I put it 12ft in front of the muzzle, it reads other calibers/bullets/powder just fine, so I dont think my crono is broke.

I did some chrono work on my 300 wby when the sun was getting low in the sky and came up with 3600 fps with 200 AB. After a couple shots in this range I moved the unit around for better light and it came in at 3050. this is with a 35P Ohler. I would have liked the original reading with no pressure signs, but I'm really happy with 3050. Chrono's can lie!

Thanks Rem for the info. I am working up loads & will be testing a 25-06
Marlin a friend just bought. I was going to try Retumbo with 115gr & above, but thought it would be too slow for 100gr.

Thanks

coyotetrapper":36sq2snl said:
Hum? I haven't used any retumbo so can't comment on how accurate the program is with it, but the others POP has run for me are very,very close to what they say they will do. I to have a chrony model the beta and I have been surprised how close it is what POP prints. But I'm using different powders as well. I wouldn't complain either if I could get 400 FPS over what is published!!!!!! It is ussally the otherway though LOL. The books are much higher than I acheive even with a 26" barrel.

I use IMR 4350 and 110 accu bonds in my 25-06 it gives me decent velocity and good groups out to 600 yards. But don't shoot many coyotes with it. I use my .243 as the main coyote gun with 90 grain NBT and h-4831 sc powder it makes darn good groups for sure! and is within 15 fps of what Pop's program said it would do!

I get 3040fps with 60 grains retumbo and 110 AccuBond. 24" barrel
sportered 03.

When I tested these loads, it was overcast/cloudy which is the best time to chrono from my experience. I know all about what the sun can do...Wasn't the sun, as the sun wasn't even out...

The same day I cronoed my 4" 357 mag w/125g XTP's and was getting right at 1300fps. Like I've been saying all along, if it was my chrony, it would have been reading 1500-1600.

Also on that day, I cronoed my .222 rem w/40g vmax and it was doing exactly what its suppose to. 3450fps with 20.5g IMR-4198.

nomosendero- Let us know how the Retumbo does in both accuracy/velocity. You might even wanna try it with some 100g pills, ya just never know!!!

I'v never thought about trying Retumbo with 100 gr pills but I'v had good luck with 115s and 120s and Fed 215s I guess the 100 bts are next.

Back