110 VMAX in .308?

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
So partly due to Guy Miner’s UR Video about Lightweight bullets in the .308, and a friend of mine who goes by KY221 on the ‘fire (who is a complete .308 nut by the way) testing the lightweights in his .308, I decided to do a bit of my own experimenting.

My .308 has been used to take several coyotes and feral hogs, a couple of elk and one mule deer doe. It just doesn’t get the time afield that my .30-06 and .270 etc. do. I thought by developing a coyote/chuck load that I could get my .308 some more time afield.

I wanted to try the 110 Vmax, 125 Sierra and 130 Hornady SPs, but only could find the VMAX bullets. On top of a healthy dollop of Varget, I loaded these to 2.740” OAL, grabbed my rifle and repaired to the range. The Garmin read 2960 fps as my average mv and after getting my old Savage 99 sighted in, I shot the best group that I have ever gotten out of it with ANY load.

The attached picture is a five shot group from a Savage 99 E with a Leupold M8-4x scope on top. I’m thinking its time to upgrade to at least a Burris FFII 3-9 variable.

I cannot wait to see how this load works on coyotes!

Attachments

• IMG_8238.jpeg
    IMG_8238.jpeg
    541 KB · Views: 6
Very nice! I’ll be loading some light wt coyote bullets in a 6.5. I too have a Sav 99 that I could follow your lead and try light at bullets in it…..

Back