115 grain VLD's in my 2506

cold_hunter

Beginner
Jan 26, 2009
I was wondering if anybody loads 115gr. VLD's for a 2506. Cause everything i read about them says that they are best loaded into the lands. At the moment I load 100 gr mkings to a COL of 3.241 and they are just off the lands and work good in the mag and shoot like a dream. So my question is do these bullets need to touch to work good cause if i load them to touch i have a single shot.

I know that Guy Miner on this forum has with success. I am sure he will chime in.

cold_hunter":3dqhrg17 said:
I was wondering if anybody loads 115gr. VLD's for a 2506. Cause everything i read about them says that they are best loaded into the lands. At the moment I load 100 gr mkings to a COL of 3.241 and they are just off the lands and work good in the mag and shoot like a dream. So my question is do these bullets need to touch to work good cause if i load them to touch i have a single shot.
.....................There is a new or updated (how to) report on the VLDs, that is posted on the Berger site.

How to!......If you are loading ONLY for the range (single shot; COALs exceeding your magazine`s length).

How to!......If you are loading ONLY for hunting use (magazine loading).

It is NOT necessary to load the VLDs to make contact with the rifling. The best seating depth for the best accuracy, will depend on your individual rifle`s sweet spot. Some rifles prefer a given distance for bullet jump, while some prefer contact with the rifling.

Also, you can e-mail Berger requesting re-loading data for your 25-06. Within 48 hours, I received data for my 300 WSM. The 300 WSM COAL given was 2.860" which is short enough for magazine loading. The data they provide to you for your 25-06, will probably show the standard COAL for the 25-06.

berger sent me a file that i cant open or i would be shooting and not asking others for help. my computer/virus protection wont allow something in there file so im back to the drawing board. Im confident enough as a hunter and shooter to single load when i hunt with that gun and i like to load stuff that shoots real good when i go to the range. I got the VLD's to see what i could do at 500+. The 100's are a dream to that mark. I hear that remington_man2506 got over 3200 with the VLD with retumbo i would think i could pull off 3100 in my stock savage

I have shot them in my 6.5-'06 (130 gr) and in my .280 (140 gr) with the LOA off the lands. They worked fine.

jim

and i guess my real issue hear is i could only find one box of these bullets and berger wont ship them up here cause they cant keep up with demand. and then thee is the primer thing. but i do plan to use BR4's for these bullets

well my dumby round turned out to be 3.316 and its off the lands. well im off to bench to load i few different powder combos. ive never loaded this wt bullet before so ill just try what i have. H4350,H4831,and IMR4350. Lately Rem cases have been the most consistant out of what i can buy. Win. have alot of difference in wt. Ive never seen Lapua but would buy them up if i did.

I worked up 2 loads with them using RL-22 and Retumbo from my 24" shilen barreled 25-06. I didnt have enough neck tension to seat them in the lands and keep them there when I chambered the round, so I had to use them right at the lands. They still shot just fine, 1"-2" groups at 400 yards and at 3275fps with Retumbo. Never shot them further as I ran out of bullets and havent' bought anymore, dont know if I will either...

Most of the time, they shoot good at or in the lands a bit. In some rare occasions they'll shoot fine with some jump, but I wouldn't bet on it. I've shot VLD's out of 25-06, 7 RM, and 300 RUM and on all of them I loaded them to just touch the lands and I had great accuracy from all 3 rifles.

I kinda feel sorry for you guys that live where some goodies can`t be shipped.

I live here in Anaheim, Ca. The Berger Bullet offices and headquarters are 10 miles away from me in Brea!.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I can go there and pick `em up.

I just placed an order with Berger (they have a 5 box minimum @ $37 per box of 100; all weights), for some 30 cal hunting VLDs in the 155 gr, 168, 175, 190 and the 210. If they don`t have any in a certain weight, it takes about 3 weeks. Demand in all bullet weights is very high!

I`m also going to start experimenting with the VLD/Vihta Vouri powder combos. N160 and N165 specifically for my 300 WSM. No N560 available here as of now. From what I understand, the Vihta powders give the best ES consistencies, outstanding accuracy, is a great hunting powder and is a very clean burning powder too..........A more expensive powder yes, but why not go for it.

hey 25-06 did you ever try the lee factory crimp die i use it on everything and plan to use it on these VLD's. My mag will outlast my chamber for length, and even with them into the lands a bit after you chimed in i decided to go longer, but id like them to stay put under recoil. I mean at 12 lbs its not much but ive seen long bullets get pushed in, in the mag. i used to use it because i moly coated everything i had when i got the kit. But know ive just stuck with it.

I have a ruger m77 and have tried several powders with different bullets. Berger 115 gr VLD's have not gotten me good results with RL22, IMR4351, or H4831. seemed like a good sampling. As with most posters, 115 gr accubonds seem the best with IMR 4350.

While most say it all depends on the gun, i seem to note a pattern of guns either like slower powders and thinner jacket bullets like the VLD or faster powder and thicker bullets like the AccuBond and IMR 4351.

thoughts?

Back