125 gr Ballistic Tip in 30-30 TC Contender?

TN Walker

Beginner
Apr 22, 2022
New to this forum and found it while searching for data on the title. Found some older threads with this bullet from .308 but didn't see anything on it in a 30-30 Contender. I am looking to use this on southern whitetails from a TC Contender with 14" barrel. Have found some load data using H110/W296, and also Ramshot Xterminator. I am going to try both of these for accuracy, etc but would greatly appreciate any information from any of you!

New to this forum and found it while searching for data on the title. Found some older threads with this bullet from .308 but didn't see anything on it in a 30-30 Contender. I am looking to use this on southern whitetails from a TC Contender with 14" barrel. Have found some load data using H110/W296, and also Ramshot Xterminator. I am going to try both of these for accuracy, etc but would greatly appreciate any information from any of you!
The 125 NBT has been one of the most popular/best bullets for deer sized game from a 14"-15" Contender.
Good to see another specialty pistol shooter here.

Thanks xphunter, i am really enjoying the Contender and am looking forward to my first handgun only season this coming year! Going to start with the 30-30 but have 35 Rem and 44 mag also.

Nannyhammer, thank you for the info. Would you care to share your starting load data?

I've used the 125 gr BT in a 300 Blackout AR-15 pistol on WT deer with excellent results. It should work just fine in your 30-30 Contender.
Varget should work good. I used Varget in a 7-30 Waters Contender with the 120 gr BT. I shot a .225" group but the muzzle flash was something to see.

JD338

Thanks xphunter, i am really enjoying the Contender and am looking forward to my first handgun only season this coming year! Going to start with the 30-30 but have 35 Rem and 44 mag also.
If I can help you in the realm of the specialty pistol (hunting or shooting LR) world or with general handgun hunting, just let me know

The pistol section in Hodgdon's Reloading Center contains info for many "rifle" cartridges, but with data obtained in pistol length barrels.

It's useful not only for specialty handguns like yours, but also for folks who are shooting a rifle with a shorter than normal barrel. For instance the 16" trapper length lever action rifles.

Regards, Guy

Nannyhammer, thank you for the info. Would you care to share your starting load data?
Have fun. I have been looking for a .35 Rem barrel.

Breaking news, sport, TV, radio and a whole lot more. The informs, educates and entertains - wherever you are, whatever your age
Hey Jerk!
Might as well leave now, as you will be banned anyway. Plus no one here would click on any link like this to begin-Get a life somewhere else!

I loaded 125 gr. Ballistic Tips for a friend some years ago with a max charge of Varget using pistol data for 130 gr. bullet off Hodgdon’s website data for pistols. He killed several deer as well as feral pigs with that bullet out of his 30-30 14” Contender with no problems whatsoever. He was quite pleased with both the load and bullet performance FWIW. As always all the usual safety caveats apply. Work up the load in YOUR pistol starting with listed starting loads getting to the safe maximum load listed or less making sure you have no problems in your pistol.

I forgot to mention that out of the Contender it performed better than expected on the feral pigs probably due to lower muzzle velocity. If I knew I was going pig hunting I might pick a tougher or heavier bullet but he killed several with no issue as targets of opportunity while deer hunting.

The 125 tip will shine on deer sized game at those velocities. Go with a barnes of similar weight for hogs however. I'm basing this on my experience with the 7MM shooting those bullets in 120 grains.

Back