125 grain .308 NBT and NAB

RWE

Beginner
Jun 10, 2012
Anyone tried both in the same load? Did they fly the same POA/POI?

I have both to try at some point in a .30-06 at about 2900fps - will advise of my results when I get to play. Was just curious if anyone else has loaded both in the same load and what they saw as a result.

Thanks!

I shoot NBT for targets and coyotes and the NAB for hunting. POI is the same in my .308's, hope this helps.

They may or may not hit to the same POI, only your rifle will know for sure.
If they don't, they should be fairly close. My experience is that the BT and the AB are close,
but not exact.

JD338

Thanks to both of you.

Yes, I will run them side by side.and will report on that when I do/can. I was just curious if anyone else has done this, with 125's or 150', et al...

With my .308 Win, I find that I can shoot matches with the 168 HPBT, then switch to any of several different 165 gr boat-tail hunting bullets with very little change in the point of impact, all the way out to 300 yards and beyond.

BTW, the little 125 gr Ballistic Tip is a pretty doggone good deer bullet, in my limited experience with it, and accurate as all get out!

Regards, Guy

"BTW, the little 125 gr Ballistic Tip is a pretty doggone good deer bullet, in my limited experience with it, and accurate as all get out! "

They drop antelope in there tracks too! My son's dropped quicker than ones I have taken with bigger!

Yes, I am impressed enough that I am going to them myself.

Hope to have the time to sit down and post a summary of the daughters "field application of the 125 NAB" this weekend!

RWE,

Good luck to you and your daughters. Post some pictures.

JD338

As long as you keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps the 125 BT is an awesome deer killer. I have gone exclusively to it in all my 30 cal. deer killing tools.

Good luck on your daughter's hunt! I am loading 45-grains of Varget and getting around 3150 fps. The recovered slug from the antelope was under the hide after entering at a n angle had about 50-grains retained. It made jelly on the insides and I would be running them if deer was my game for sure.

1Shot":ks0gyxk8 said:
As long as you keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps the 125 BT is an awesome deer killer. I have gone exclusively to it in all my 30 cal. deer killing tools.

I started out looking at it as a possible low recoil bullet for my small framed friend who wanted to hunt deer. Turned out it was accurate and deadly from her .308 Win/SAKO rifle. The 125 Ballistic Tip.

I looked at the load data & ballistics for the .308 Win and .30-06... And frankly a guy could make the case that a .25-06 with 115's isn't at all necessary, if you've got a .30-06 and 125's... With the extra velocity potential of the .30-06, I think I'd opt for the AccuBond version of the 125 gr bullet.

That made my .25-06 a little miffed, but she got over it and did well for me anyway... :grin:

Guy

Have not forgotten - daughter is four for four now! She took a ... I'll fill ya in later!

I am headed out this weekend, hope to be able to discuss applied ballistics (her results and mine) of this load next week.

I just recently harvested my first deer with the 125gr BT from a .308 and its performance matched what others have said. The shot was 175yds broadside just behind the shoulder through the ribs and out. The entrance hole was bullet size with a 2 finger exit and the insides were complete mush. Hard to believe that this bullet can do so much internal damage. The 125gr BT is one tough little bullet for sure.

Back