125grn BT .308

Red Grouse

Beginner
Apr 21, 2007
Anyone got any feed back on the 125grn BT .308.
Will be using on Red , Roe and fallow deer.
Using 165 sst at the moment but they leave huge holes and the game dealer nocks money off for stuff like that. Any thoughts.

A lot depends on the caliber you are using. I load them in a short barreled 300 Savage, 308Win and 308x1.5 Barnes.Rick.

Agree, keep the velocity low and you will get better results.

JD338

I would wonder if the .308 125 BT has thicker walls like the 7mm 120 BT. If not I would definetly go with the AccuBond or Partition. My results with the 150 gn BT bullets have mirrored your results. But have had excellent results with the 7mm 120 BT.

Long

Average shot distance would be my next question. I would not load them above 2700fps for best results. If you are concerned with exit hole size, I would go to a heavier constructed bullet and more bullet weight. Don't shoot shoulders. Is this a culling operation? Don't understand what a game dealer has to do with hunting unless this is a commercial operation.Rick.

One of the guys I guide with uses the 125gr BT for deer, he said it tears the deer up pretty good, wouldnt use it if your looking for a small exit hole. I would try a stronger bullet, less expansion, less damage. If you could find them, try a full metal jacket, I got some military surplus and it just penciled threw the coyote I shot with it.

Over here where I work we shoot a lot of deer ie 50 stags and 200 hinds plus calves (all wild deer) . We keep a few for the table otherwise the rest have to be picked up by a Game Dealer. Then most of the venison goes to Germany.
The average shot is about 200yrds , you can be shooting up to six deer at a time . Have to make the most of the good weather!!!
As for FMJ we are not aloud to use them for hunting.
RG

I think, in many states, in the US it is illegal to use FMJ for hunting. Could be wrong though.

Long

Back