130 E-TIP, .270

hubcap

Handloader
Nov 21, 2006
Finally got some good weather here in the Pacific North West. Hit the range with high hopes and visions of tiny little clusters with all loads. The 06 did decent with 165 HPBT and IMR-4350. The .270 did nice with the 150 LRAB and IMR-7828. My .270 loves the LRAB with 7828 or IMR-4831. Real happy there. The 130 E-TIP did rather poorly with 55 gr. of IMR-4350. Went with four groups of three starting with .095 bullet jump and ended with .125 jump. The .095 shot a dismal 1.5 while the more jump I used the groups got worse. Back to the loading bench with the E-TIPS. My plan is to go the other way with less jump and see what happens. Is any one else shooting the E-TIP and what is working for you. Any comments welcome.

I'm using 90 gr. E-tips in my son's 6mm Remington which is a Ruger MKII. I've heard they recommend seating them deep, but I found them shooting well as used my usual methods for working up a load. His particular load is using H110V.

I can't speak for the .270 Win, but in my .270 WSM the 130 grain E-Tip is my "go to" bullet. I can testify that it works well on moose, elk and whitetail. I do seat them 0.100 inches off the lands.

The E-Tips seem to do really well far off the lands. Don't hurt to try a little closer. Let us now how it goes.

Good comments guys. A note came with the bullets in the box that says for best accuracy load .050 to .100 off the lands. Hopefully moving closer will help with accuracy. Usually IMR-4350 works really well with 130,s. However the next range session will also include H-4831. Sometimes a powder change is all it takes. I ran a ladder test with 4350 and found that 55 grains is running 2896. 55.5 is 2947. 56 went 3001. The SGK runs 3045 with 56 grains. Lot of difference there. With the long bearing surface on the E-tip I,m not sure the fast burning 4350 is the best choice. Certainly this bullet is causing me to think about the situation more than I,m used to.

My experience with E-Tips is that they prefer slower powders. Not anything crazy and out of normal ranges for a given cartridge, but pick from the slowest appropriate powders for the cartridge and bullet weight.

dubyam":lo6yabfg said:
My experience with E-Tips is that they prefer slower powders. Not anything crazy and out of normal ranges for a given cartridge, but pick from the slowest appropriate powders for the cartridge and bullet weight.
Thats the direction I,m going. Perhaps IMR-4831 will work. I,m rather suspicious that IMR-4350 may be too slow since 56 grains just does hit 3000. 56 is already one grain over listed book max. I,m definitely going to try something slower as you suggest. The E-TIP is extremely long for a 130 gr. bullet. The BC is the highest of any 130 gr. nosler bullet. It will be interesting to discover what powder works best. 3000 is plenty of velocity however I would perfer getting there without using the one grain over max fudge factor.

I use E-Tips in two rifles - a 270Wby and 300Wby. In both, going to the slow side of powders has given the best results. If you have any, it might be worth shifting to IMR7828 if you have data for the 130gr weight. That'll be a bit slower even than the 4831s and perhaps offer you the best combination. My theory (not proven, just theory) is that the solid gilding metal E-Tip is harder than lead bullets, and needs a little more oomph to properly obturate into the rifling at transition out of the case and throat of the rifle. Slower powders give a little more build before the bullet starts to move, and because of the time delay, have the bullet moving a bit more firmly into the rifling. That's just my theory, but so far in practice, slower powders have worked better. Post your results, please.

The 257 100 gr, 284 150 gr and 338 200 gr E-Tips were all shooting well under MOA at .100" off the lands for me.

JD338

I,ll take the advice from you guys and stick with .095 to .100 off the lands and try H-4831 sc and 7828. I just checked and I do have enough IMR-4831 for five rounds. Will post results with slower powders next week.

Hi hubcap, just wondering what your load specs are for you 150gr ABLRs in the 270win. including the OAL? I have 7828ssc & I also have 4831sc on hand:)!!

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":d8skou8j said:
Hi hubcap, just wondering what your load specs are for you 150gr ABLRs in the 270win. including the OAL? I have 7828ssc & I also have 4831sc on hand:)!!

Blessings,
Dan
Here it is; 150 LRAB
ww-brass
cci-200 primer
IMR-7828ssc
57.2 gr.
coal- 3.410
Bullet jump-.110
This load shot great for me. So does 55 gr. of IMR-4831. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Your welcome sask boy. With 7828 the first two shots were very close to the same hole. The next two shots were the same. There was a 1/4 inch between the two 2 shot groups. If I would stop wiggling when I pull the trigger I would have had one ragged hole. The IMR-4831 shot three in the same doggone hole. The LRAB is one accurate bullet for sure. I loaded more E-TIPS with four different powders last night. I,m hoping one of those loads comes any where near those LRAB,s. That would be awsome.

I've had excellent luck with them in the 7 mm Rem mag, and dismal in the .25-06's. Using 7828 in the 7 mag, and about .010 less jump than the 150 NBT. I tried the instructions in the box without success, too. I'll start running them closer in the .25's and see. Death on a pig at close range in the 7, but anything would be, behind the ear at 70 yds.

Hi hubcap, Have you made it back out to the range yet? I'm getting ready to load my 270win up with the E-tips as well and am very curious to hear your results. I have both H4831 and IMR7828 to start with.

Eship, I see this is your first post. Welcome aboard. We always enjoy meeting new people who share our passion for shooting and hunting. I have no doubt you are going to enjoy the E-Tips. They surely are serving me well in my 270 WSM. They will give you excellent performance in y7our 270, I should imagine.

eship":3havlv6j said:
Hi hubcap, Have you made it back out to the range yet? I'm getting ready to load my 270win up with the E-tips as well and am very curious to hear your results. I have both H4831 and IMR7828 to start with.

Heading out tommorrow morning. Will try H4831sc, IMR-4831, 7828 and RL-22. Ha, should be interesting. Will be using .095 jump for all four powders. Welcome to the nosler forum.

Yes indeed. I,m very pleased at this point. RL-22 and IMR-4831 shot 3/4 inch. H4831 and 7828 shot 1 inch. Compared to my first groups with IMR-4350 at 2.5 inches things are looking up. I,m going to seat .010 longer and continue tweaking. Nice problem to have since all four powders show promise. I,m out of both 4831,s at this point so I will be out shopping for powder and more E-tips. I,ll probably need a couple more range trips to get the E-TIP dialed in the way I want it. It,s a great bullet and worth the time. I think it would be the cats meow in the WSM. You should try it Scotty.

Back