140 etip/ 7 rem mag

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
I worked up a load for a buddys 7 RM with the 140 etip doing 3250fps and under 1/2 moa groups.

lined up 7 milk jugs today at 20 yards and let her rip.

bullet was in 6th jug and weighed 138.5, picture perfect mushroom.

Will get pic up if anyone wants to see but looks like all the rest!

Btw, thats 1 more jug of penetration then what the 162 sst and 160 AB gave me.

I would say its more then adequate for elk and bear at close to medium range.

They sure do penetrate well, looking forward to the pictures. That load would be great for moose too.

For sure, the E-Tips do penetrate. I've not been able to recover any 130 grain E-Tips (270WSM) from moose or elk yet. That is good penetration. I did finally retrieve a 200 grain E-Tip shot from my 338 Federal from one moose last year.

Will have to make a minimum load and stretch the jugs to get impact of 1800...

See what I can do.

I am interested in the lower impact velocity and how they expand.

exactly... my fear in any monometal save the GS Customs

Will be kinda tough now I look at the numbers...

Safe min load is around 2700fps...would be around 525 yards to catch bullet at 1800fps.

Dont know if thats doable on milk jugs...to small area for bullet to veer off track. Thinking soaked newspaper in a box would be in order on something like this.

Any other ideas?

HeathSexton":1f3at6x3 said:

What Heath says, plus look at some of the reduced loads with H4895 as well and try them at 200 maybe 300 if you can get some larger jugs.. Ask that danged Jake, I know he has some big chemical jugs dieing to get aerated!

That does sound like a great load though Jorey. I think the ET is about the nicest monometal mushroom I have seen.

This is a 200 ET out of my 338 WM. I missed the 600 yard gong and found it in the dirt. Impact should have been right around 1800 fps. 100% weight retention, the tip hadn't been shed yet, just pushed back into the bullet a little.

I would imagine that any of the ET bullets would look very similar.

If you are wanting to run some into some 2.5 gal chemical jugs, I have a pile of them that have not been recycled yet.

Here's a 200 grain E-Tip recovered from a young moose. He was shot at 85 yards. The rifle was a 338 Federal, launching the E-Tip at a sedate 2500 fps muzzle velocity.

Like Jake said, I would anticipate that any of the E-Tips will look strikingly similar.

I hope this helps a bit. Those jugs are hard to catch at 500 yards as they only have about a 6"x6" kill zone!! :grin:
David

The e-tips are from a 6mm Remington and are 100-200-300-400 yards, same with the Partitions sitting in front of them.

I thought I had an E-tip at 500 yards as well but I cannot find the photo. It might be in bullet tests in the .243 category if you check there. I cannot remember if I have one or not though from 500.

DrMike":2z8o408z said:
Here's a 200 grain E-Tip recovered from a young moose. He was shot at 85 yards. The rifle was a 338 Federal, launching the E-Tip at a sedate 2500 fps muzzle velocity.

Like Jake said, I would anticipate that any of the E-Tips will look strikingly similar.

Mike,

Is that a factory load? I'm curious because of the pressure bands on the bullet.
Here is the 338 200 gr E-Tips out of my 338 RUM recovered in water jugs.
338RUM200grainE-Tip.jpg

JD338

Back