150g btips in tikka 7 mag

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
I worked up 2 loads today out of my dads new tikka in 7 mag. I used the 150g btip and IMR-4350 powder. I tried 62g and 63g of powder, with a fed 215 mag primer, and an OAL of 3.260". I was a bit dissappointed with the velocity, but the accuracy of the 63g load made up for it. 62g produced a 1 inch group for 4 shots, with velocity being 2860fps. 63g game me a .45" 4 shot group with 2960fps. I was also amazed at the consistency of the velocity. The 4 shots were all with 10 ft second from highest to lowest. Very uniform velocities. I will load up the rest with obviously the 63g load and zero at 200 yards, then shoot some groups at 300 and 500, and my dad will be set up for long range deer.

Take a look at RL22 for higher velocity and good accuracy.

JD338

68 gr of IMR 7828 was my load. 1.5" at 200 yards and 3130 fps or so. Also RL 25 will work well.

IMO, 4350 is too fast for the big 7s, you hit pressures before you get higher vel.. Move up to IMR4831 or even better H4831sc or RL22. You should easily get to 3150fps & accuracy will probably improve as density goes up. I aslo like IMR7828 w/ 150gr bullets & up.

I agree 4350 has never been the best powder in my 7mm rm's. I have been using a lot of the RL22 as of late but prior IMR4831 under the 150 PT or BT was my powder of choice. The imr 7828 would also be a good test, worked well with 160grainers for me. I haven't personally tried H4831sc but I have seen it suggested and talked about a fair bit lately in terms of the 7mm rm. I'd try running one of these to see if you can't up the velocity.

Rem MAn,

Just for grins, you should work up some loads with the 160 gr AB's.
Good all around bullet.

JD338

I probly would, but its my dads rifle and he wants it for LR deer. He wanted the 150g BTip, so thats what I worked with. IMR -4350 is a decent powder, very consistent and accurate so i'm not going to change. A .45" 4 shot group at 2960fps is not worth all the hassle of finding another load for another 100-150fps. Especially when this load is giving me about 5fps for standard deviation. Should be a real winner at 600-700 yards for deer. Now if he was using this for a dual purpose, deer/elk rifle, I would have put my 2 cents in and told him to go with the 160g AB, but its solely his LR deer rifle. He has his 300 RUM, or .338 WM for elk.

I have to ask as well.......Why is no one using the Viht powders? I've been a very loyal user of the IMR-4350 in most of my larger calibers. I've found here of late, that the Viht powder works very well, and goups have tightened.......Also goes through the dispenser easier. Last load worked up was for my .280rem with .9in @ 200.

I dont use a dispenser. I weight out each charge in a cereal bowl with a spoon and a balance beam scale. takes a little longer, but the groups show make up for it. Also, vihtavouri powders come in 2lb cans, if your rifle dont like that powder, your stuck with nearly 2lbs of it, instead of 1lb. I myself have never tried the powder. I use to use RL and IMR powders, but as of lately, have switched to Hodgon powders because they are temperature stable. I dont know if the vihtavouri powders are temp stable or not, anybody know for sure???

remingtonman,
I measure each load as well, but the initial drop / despense, usually cuts the 4350...? I use Hogden as well, and think it's great powder, but use it in the .222 / .223 / 6ppc etc
I've only tried the Viht 140 & 165.....Also worried about the chances of it not working then being stuck with it. The 165 I'm still playing with, but hope that's the powder I can get to shoot in my .300RUM.
I'll let you know how it works out as soon as I get the primer issue resolved.

what kinda rifle is your 300 RUM?? what 165g are you playing with?? What is your primary target for the 300 RUM?? I think you'll find the 180g to 200g class bullets will really make this cartridge shine. Not to sure if your into shooting long range or not, or you just want flat trajectory for shots up to 400 yards. The 180-200g class bullets give up little in trajectory, but make up for it in energy and wind drift. Not trying to tell you what bullets to shoot whatsoever, just trying to get an idea of what your wanting out of the caliber. The only weight I have not shot out of my 300 rum is the 165g. I tend to shoot more towards 400+ with mine, so 180g is the minimum choice, while the 200-210-220g gets more attention.

remingtonman,
I just got the .300RUM for X-mas with only about 25 rounds through it so far. It's the stainless fluted Sendero. I do a lot of elk hunting here in CO, but mainly I'm a stick chucker for bull elk. About every third year we draw for rifle bull tags. We hunt above timber-line ...ten to twelve thousand feet, and I wanted not so much for the distance, but a fast heavy bullet to buck the wind that we see at those elevations most of the time. I'll stick with the 180gr's and it appears the AB's are the bullet of choice? I've never been a big believer in big magnum / caliber rifles to bring an elk down. I've mostly used 7-08's .280rem and the newest in the safe is a .260 for my wife. All for elk, and all in 140gr bullets.
I may attempt some 150's in the .300 for deer this year, but still up in the air if that gun will make the trip with me.

remington_man,

I get 3220 FPS out of my Sako 7MM Rem Mag with 63 grains of IMR 4350 & 150 B-Tips, which is what the Nosler manual (No. 5) indicates. I'd check your chronograph or have your barrel checked.

powerstroke, the 180g ab is a decent choice for elk. get it going 3300-3400fps, and it will still thump any elk out to 800 yards. The heavier 200g is just added insurance and will get you another couple hundered yards in range. it will also buck the wind a lot better. those sendero's shoot really good, there one of the most accurate out of the box rifles for 1000 yard shooting. with just minimal trigger job and bedding and good handloads of course. I was going to get one myself, but they were a little heavy for me to be packing up and down my canyons. I really wished I would have gotten one now though, but I'm quite satisfied with my LSS. if your going to use a 150g bullet for deer out of your RUM, make sure its a halfway tough bullet, or you'll get no penetration. I dont want to see your deer running off with one broken shoulder. Those 150's flat out scoot out of a 300 RUM, I got mine going 3650fps with btips and thats just to fast, and the bullet will break up to easily, even on deer. If your shooting over 300 yards, its a great bullet, but for anything closer, you'll need to be real careful with shot selection. The 150g AB could be a good choice. Also barrel life is dramatically reduced when shooting the lighter weight bullets out of this caliber. Again, thats why I limit my bullets to nothing lighter then the 180g in this size of case. In my opinion, thats the whole idea of a bigger case, to shoot the heavier bullets just as fast as the medium weight bullets in the smaller calibers.

Tom- I have never gotten any 7 mags to get the published velocities out of the nosler manual. They've always been at least 100fps slower. Any other rifles I can achieve the velocity, and with hotter loads, exceed there velocity. 7 Mag is kinda tricky in my opinion. there are so many variables to velocity that I"m not really worried about it. Manuals are used as a guideline and there not set in stone. 2 rifles of the same manufacturer in the same caliber can be totally different. Internal differences in the cahmber and barrel are the most important. My cronograph isn't the best, its a CRONY, but it seems to give me the right velocities for every other 15 calibers I load for, except the 7 mag which always shoots slower. Dont know why really, but I'm not to worried about it, I dont shoot a 7 mag so I dont really care.

Back