150gr AB out of 24" 308 win--need loads and velocities

you can get a longer barrel I suppose, but 2800+ is smoking for a .308.
For more juice, may I suggest a 300 WM or RUM.

I do some match shooting with a .308, generally with 155 grain Noslers over 46.5 grains of Varget. That load, from a 30" match barrel produces 2980 fps and excellent accuracy.

When I shoot the same load in my 24" hunting rifle, it churns up 2850 fps.

When I substitute a 150 grain hunting bullet, keeping all else the same, it produces 2870 fps. So... 2870 fps w/46.5 grains of Varget. I use Federal 210 match primers and Winchester cases.

I could go a little hotter on the powder charge, but of course I recommend carefully working up. Hodgdon and Nosler both list charges of Varget higher than my load, Sierra does not. With a 24" .308 Winchester, 2900 fps can be reached with 150 grain hunting bullets. Varget is a nice powder to use in the .308 Win. Generally quite accurate, and not very temperature sensitive.

Hodgdon lists 47 grains of Varget as a max load with a 150 grain bullet. It's a compressed load and produces over 2900 fps from a 24" barrel.

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/308win.php

Regards, Guy

i have a 24" 308 in a rem 700 it works good with the varget and 150gr AccuBond near the nosler max load with a cronographed velocity average of 2970

Nosler #5 shows Varget (48.5gn MAX @ 3001fps), RL-15 (46gn MAX @ 2958), and IMR4064 (48gn MAX @ 2920)

Good luck

Hmmm.... I am thinking of a short action deer/coyote cartridge out to 700 yards. A 308 w/150g btips at 2900-3000fps would do the trick...So would a 7-08 w/162g AMAX at 2750fps...If I got a 308, Id get a 26" heavy barrel. I was looking around and not to many factory offerings in 7-08 that would be suitable for LR. Unless I missed them somewhere.

Does anyone have a good load for a Model 7 .308 win w/18.5" barrel? I tested several different 150 grain bullets all with 45-46 grains of Varget yesterday and could not get anything to group inside 2 inches. The bullets I tested include: Ballistic Tip, Interlock BTSP, AccuBond, Hornady SST, and Ballistic Silver Tips. I can't believe I didn't find anything that worked out of all these and yes my scope is tight. I really like the looks and weight of this short light rifle but if it won't shoot, I have no use for it. Unfortunately, it may be for sale real soon!

Well if you only tried 2 different charges of powder, I bet your not anywhere near a "node" for accuracy. The bullets you picked should be shooting. I would either pick a different powder, or start low and work up. 2" for a 308 at 100 yards is garbage.

Yote..
This model 7........wood stock or plastic?
I have a .260 model 7 that kicked my butt for a while. The barrel was hanging on the stock. Since taken care of, and much better now, BUT...
This is my worst shooting gun. I've pretty much chalked it up to ..... " darn this thing is little "

Remington Man...

The 7-08 is definately one you'd want to hand load for !!
Mine is a tack driver with the 150gr B-tips. Biggest issue being, that case is just too small for all that powder !

YoteSmoker":17e1asm1 said:
Does anyone have a good load for a Model 7 .308 win w/18.5" barrel? I tested several different 150 grain bullets all with 45-46 grains of Varget yesterday and could not get anything to group inside 2 inches. The bullets I tested include: Ballistic Tip, Interlock BTSP, AccuBond, Hornady SST, and Ballistic Silver Tips. I can't believe I didn't find anything that worked out of all these and yes my scope is tight. I really like the looks and weight of this short light rifle but if it won't shoot, I have no use for it. Unfortunately, it may be for sale real soon!

I shoot that same gun. I've never tried 150s. I've tried the 165 gr Speer psp, psp bt, Hornady interlock bt, and Nosler BT. I've tried W748 and AA2520. Every load shoots about 1.25". I plan to make sure the barrel is free floated and try some other combinations. I use it as a woods gun and I think the accuracy is acceptable for my use. I'm planning to use the 165gr Partition. Perhaps it likes the heavier bullets better?

You're pretty well MAXED OUT with a 24" tube! But just for kicks....try ya 47.5 gr. Mulwex 2208 better known as Varget!! That is....if you're shooting a bolt rifle aka Rem 700 or Win M70! It 'tain't' no load for a semiauto!! :lol: :lol: :wink: :lol:

My Dad just gave me his Remington 600 carbine. He had a lot of tries before
he found a combination that worked. Here it is.

The most accurate powder found yet for the 18" .308 is 49 grains of W760BR with 150 grain corelokt bullets. 2500 fps 3 shots in 1/2" is the best group.
I assume, judging by burn charts, that W760 would be very similar.

Second best powder was 47 grains of IMR4320.

I've tried Varget and imr4350 so far with mediocre accuracy.
47 grains of Varget gave 2700 fps and 2" groups.

This is with a 2 power long eye relief scope, so I wont be doing any 700
yard shots with this. The slower velocity will be just fine.

I can't get enough of the medium powders in to my 308 cases. Maybe its because I FL size them. I always used IMR 3031 with 150's in the 308 with good results.

These days I am loading RL 10 and getting 2900 fps with 150's out of a 22" barreled Kimber. I use CCI Br2 primers and both WW and Lapua brass.

This year I did a lot of shooting using 150 BT's as I worked on the rifle and then at the last minute I could not get the Accubonds to group well. So I am hunting with Interbonds and thats not as pretty a bullet.

I was temped to try the new NRX's but a buddy just shot a deer with an X bullet and it only made a tiny hole. Lucky he got the deer at all.

I used to shoot Sierras but the Noslers have won most of my business.

YoteSmoker":2rsj038z said:
you can get a longer barrel I suppose, but 2800+ is smoking for a .308.
For more juice, may I suggest a 300 WM or RUM.
+1

I believe you're there!

Pop- I'm not there yet but close. I am seriously thinking about a Sendero in 300RUM for sale at Sportsmans right now. I'm thinking this model 7 might be trading material in the near future. You had to tempt me more, didn't you? :)

YoteSmoker":2dy0rfxx said:
Pop- I'm not there yet but close. I am seriously thinking about a Sendero in 300RUM for sale at Sportsmans right now. I'm thinking this model 7 might be trading material in the near future. You had to tempt me more, didn't you? :)

I know where you can get a phenomenal deal on a SAKO 7mm rum! :lol: :lol:

140 Accubonds at 3600 fps?--never tried that load though.

Pop, Thanks but I have a 7RM and a 7-08. Then again, I have a 30-06 and 308 I like. I guess I just like the idea of a 300 RUM for bigger bullets and long range effect on anything that walks in N. America. Of course if I get one, I will be sure to stop by my gunsmith to have a brake installed on the way home!

Back