160 Gr Accubond vs. 300 lbs Wild Boar

SGT720

Beginner
Jun 30, 2007
Looks like I'll have another year's supply of pork. I let the 7MM Rem Mag with 160 gr AccuBond bark and here is the results.

It was 7:00 am Saturday morning and I was heading down the hill along the river when my eye caught movement to the right. The big boy just finished grabbing his morning water and heading back up the hill to his bed. By the time I got out of the jeep and put my rifle on the sticks, he was 200 yards exactly. I put the crosshairs right on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. He folded like a ton of bricks...didn't squeal or make a sound. Fortunately, he rolled down the hill 40 yards which made for easy recovery. The AccuBond crushed his shoulder and did some terminal damage to his lungs. The bullet did not exit the other side. As usual, I was very impressed with it's performance. His live weight was 300 lbs and when I got him to the butcher, he was 145 lbs hanging meat (minus head, intrails, and hide).

Looking forward to trying the AccuBond on Elk this October.

829200743430PM717_TN.jpg

SGT720

Congratulations on your hog, 300 lbs is a nice one.
Good read, thanks for sharing your hunt.
The 160 gr AB is ine heck of a bullet. Can you post a pic of the bullet for us?

JD338":3jhqjjid said:
SGT720

Congratulations on your hog, 300 lbs is a nice one.
Good read, thanks for sharing your hunt.
The 160 gr AB is ine heck of a bullet. Can you post a pic of the bullet for us?

JD,
Sorry! couldn't recover the bullet. I have a feeling it was in the intrails because it did not make it to the other shoulder. Which I could understand when I saw how thick his armour plate was. That bullet went through 2 inches of armour and shoulder bone. By some chance if the bullet is still in the pig, I told the butcher to save it for me.

Nice job! I used partitions mostly when I hunted them from time to time. I'm going to have to look into this AccuBond stuff a little more closely...

Good looking little hunting rig too. Yours?

Congrats, Guy

Guy Miner":1crzxlfk said:
Nice job! I used partitions mostly when I hunted them from time to time. I'm going to have to look into this AccuBond stuff a little more closely...

Good looking little hunting rig too. Yours?

Congrats, Guy

Thanks Guy! No...the rig belongs to a friend of mine who leases the ranch we were hunting on.

Nice hog I bet he will be some good eat'n. We don't have hogs up here in northeastern Oregon looks like a fun critter to hunt.

POP":1ajq4vkp said:
Very nice! Congrats...When is the roast? 8)

POP,
I am having the hams smoked and the rest is going to be sausage. :grin:

buckfever":2g6ir9p0 said:
Nice hog I bet he will be some good eat'n. We don't have hogs up here in northeastern Oregon looks like a fun critter to hunt.

Buckfever,
They are a blast to hunt. You wouldn't believe how fast they can cover ground. This ranch that I hunt on is rolling hills with a lot of manzanita, oak trees and poision oak. :x We have spotted them on one hill and wathced move a 1000 yards in 5 to 10 minutes. There eye sight is poor but hearing and smell are great.

Thanks for the picture and info. The AccuBond is one heck of a bullet . I hunted Monterey county for 25 years and took some big'uns occasionaly and found more than a few bullets parachutted in the armor from previous run-ins with softer bullets. I personally think the AccuBond is the perfect bullet. If there was a smart bullet that knew when to penetrate and exactly when to expand and do damage it wouldn't have much an the AccuBond.
Congrats and Good Hunting
Elkhunt :)

BTW - It's great to get a hunt report in... The season is darned near here! Looking forward to seeing a whole mess of great hunt reports over the next few months.

Thanks, Guy

how many dudes did it take to lift that brute up to that high rack? When I kill something that big ( its been a long time) I try too put it on the front bumper instead. Thanks for shareing/

honkeetonkin":1t8bl13b said:
how many dudes did it take to lift that brute up to that high rack? When I kill something that big ( its been a long time) I try too put it on the front bumper instead. Thanks for shareing/

It took 3 of us to put him on the rack. Your right, the front rack would have been easier if he had one. :(

Back