165gr Nosler Partition Spitzer and IMR 4064

1winnen

Beginner
Jul 8, 2013
Hi. I'm new here and just started reloading for my Rem 700 308 Tactical with 20" bull barrel and a 1:12" twist. I have no chronograph available and the range I shoot at is only 100yds max so I can't check for bullet drop at 200-300-400yds. I'm looking for any ball park velocities someone might be getting in their 20" barrels. My current reload is:

Lake City LR brass
CCI 200 primers
165gr Nosler Partition sptizer
43.5grs IMR 4064
COAL 2.770

Any info would be most helpful and appreciated. Also, if anyone is also using LC LR brass AND IMR 4064 let me know if you have tried reloading to 44.5grs. According to Noslers reloading data for the same Spitzers and Powder 44.5 is a Max. and compressed load at 101% capacity BUT according to Nosler it is also the most accurate that they tested. Thanks

Welcome!

They're both great! The bullet and the powder each work well with the .308 Win. HOWEVER, I don't believe I've ever combined the 165 Partition and IMR 4064. That was one of the most widely used powders for match shooters prior to the introduction of Varget and RL-15. I have shot some excellent groups and scores using 4064 and 168 grain match bullets - but with longer barrels.

I'd be guessing at your velocity, but I know that the powder/bullet combo can be accurate. It's also likely to be plenty powerful enough for medium game to 300 yards or so. I feel real confident in the .308 on medium game to 300 - 400 yards, easily.

Use caution working up loads in that Lake City brass. It can have reduced capacity compared to commercial brass such as Winchester, leading to higher pressures.

BTW - I like those 20" LTR's. Have done a little shooting with them. Typically they're very accurate. A buddy is a police SWAT sniper, and that's the only rifle he owns - a Rem 700 LTR in .308 Win. He uses it on duty as well as for all his hunting; elk, mule deer, and bear.

Regards, Guy

Thanks for your reply. I used that combination based on Nosler's reloading data and the 43.5grs of 4064 is 1gr less that max. From some others that I've heard from I'm actually thinking that the muzzle velocity is going to be some where between 2600-2650. At least that gives me a figure to put into Hornadys ballistic calculator to determine bullet drop out to 300yds. Thanks again.

Rifles vary some from one to another, however, my .308 (a Ruger No. 1) with a 22 inch barrel got very close to 2650 with 44.0 grains of IMR4064, CCI 200 primers and LC brass. I think that you are in the ballpark with your estimated velocity for your rifle.

I would imagine that the combination you're using would be very good for medium game at ranges to 300 yards, as Guy said. Oldtrader nailed the velocity pretty closely for what you are doing, I suspect. Welcome to the forum. Trust you enjoy your time here.

First thanks to everyone who replied to my post with their opinion about possible velocity. Second just answered my own question about Lake City LR case capacity. Completely filled a LC LR case and then poured that into a Winchester case. There was about 1/4-3/8" left unfilled in the Winchester. Guess I'll stay with my 43.5gr of IMR4064 and NOT try reloading with 44.5. Thanks again.

Back