168 gr. E-Tip

MrMinks2

Beginner
Oct 29, 2014
I've finally realized a lifelong dream and booked an elk hunt in Montana for 2019. My .30-06 shoots the 168 gr. E-Tip and 180 gr. AccuBond very well. I understand that either bullet weight is more than adequate for elk but I am leaning towards the E-Tip due to its higher BC and velocity.
Has anyone of you had any experience with the E-Tip on elk?

I use the 130 grain E-Tip in my 270 WSM. It has accounted for multiple elk and moose, most one-shot kills. It is my bullet of preference in that cartridge. I haven't taken anything with the E-Tip in my 30-06, but I did work up the load--just haven't carried it afield yet.

No experience with them, but I wouldn’t worry a bit about them on elk myself.

Others like Mike and a few more have had excellent results with them over the years.

Am eagerly awaiting your post-hunt report, with bullet performance!

A few years ago I bought a few boxes of the 30 caliber, 168 gr E-Tips... But I haven't worked with them at all yet. I was tempted to use them on my grizzly hunt in 2017, because of their reputation for expanding well, penetrating deep, never breaking up...

And yes, that is one sleek, high BC bullet! :)

Am excited for you about the elk hunt. Looking forward to reading about it next fall. :)

Regards, Guy

I've used 150gr E-Tip in 30-06 on cow elk tag here in Co and was one shot kill. I have shot 168gr E-Tip in my other 30-06 but haven't hunted with it.

I used Hodgdon data and they had listed 150gr E-Tip for 30-06 and powder that I used H-4350 and I used Nosler for 168gr E-Tip also H-4350.

That is an awesome dream to fulfill! Where will you be hunting, east or west of the continental divide? Outfitter?
I have only used handloaded 180 gr core-lokt in 30-06 for elk. They don't hold up if you hit the humerus or scapula. I hunt with a 280ai now & 160 accubonds. I aim for the front shoulder now. I shot a moose this year with that load and was impressed with how it broke the shoulder and kept penetration. - the bc & velocity advantage of the 168 is probably pretty minimal; I would shoot whatever you have the most confidence in and gives the best accuracy. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

An elk taken with the 130 grain E-Tip:

wRNiP8A.jpg

The 130 E-Tip Recovered:

s2U7E7g.jpg

DBJIlMK.jpg

yyBdCRC.jpg

Pretty good performance. Well, good enough that I've never changed the load.

SJB358":28razrdm said:
Great looking Bullet!

The couple that I've recovered expanded precisely as one would wish. Here is the bullet I recovered from a young moose; it looks just like the one recovered from elk. This was a 200 grain launched from my 338 Federal.

gAiL5DA.jpg

yjKRm12.jpg

The moose I invited to dinner. (He accepted.)

6lnNIKK.jpg

Thanks to all for the input. The E-tip seems like a good choice! I hope to have some good news to share in the fall on 2019!

90 gr. E-tip out of a 6mm Remington at if I recall about 3150 fps. First elk for my son.

350 yards. One shot tight behind her right shoulder, angled forward and exited her left shoulder. She staggered about 20 yards and dropped.

6mm Remington":qa4xuvpr said:
90 gr. E-tip out of a 6mm Remington at if I recall about 3150 fps. First elk for my son.

350 yards. One shot tight behind her right shoulder, angled forward and exited her left shoulder. She staggered about 20 yards and dropped.

Excellent performance!

Guy

Back